Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Knife Sharpening >

Knife Sharpening

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Knife Sharpening

Old 09-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Knife Sharpening

I use different things for different types of grinds. For the basic flat and taper grinds that need resetting, I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker and then strop them on leather loaded with green compound. For my convex knifes and touch-ups of my flat/taper grinds I use wet/dry sandpaper increasing to finder grits up to 2000 then strop on the leather loaded with compound. The convex knives get the wet/dry and leather stroping done on top of a spongy mouse pad. I can usually have a knife popping hairs in about 10 minutes unless their edges have been ruined by someone using a carbide sharpener. Most people who use belt sanders can get knives shaving sharp, but don't understand that they are ruining the temper unless the person using it knows how to keep the blade cool or the sander is made for specifically for sharpening and turns at a much slower rate than a normal one. Diamond stones are over-used by most people and should only be used when a great deal of metal needs to be removed for "cutting back". Diamond honing makes a blade feel sharp, but it is really jagged and is "cutting" (ripping) with more of a micro serration. This will cause it to require sharpening more often, and again, will be removing vastly more metal each time than should be.

The average "Joe" can get excellent results with a plain old Spyderco Sharpmaker for 50 bucks and some leather and compound from the hardware store for a few bucks more. This won't ruin the knife and the edge will stay sharper longer.

This is a cheap CRKT Prowler I carry sometimes. That is a single hair I "shaved" with it after 5-10 minutes or so of touch up.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

Another vote for Lansky here. My dad has used a the Lansky system for years and bought me one a few years ago ( probably because I was always borrowing his!). Very easy and makes a nice sharp knife.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a smith sharpening kit.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like to use a hardarkansas stone and a piece of ceramic..
Old 09-20-2008, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the KME system. It's by far the highest quality best made sharpener I have ever used. They also make a great broadhead sharpening system as well. http://www.kmesharp.com/index.html
Old 09-20-2008, 05:33 AM
Typical Buck

Lansky kit and the arc tube from a high pressure sodium lamp to touch it up.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

i plan on buying a lanky next week
Old 09-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, guys. Some great suggestionshere and I hope you all get to use your sharp knivescarving upyourquarrythis season!

I went with Lansky based on prior use and the number of suggestions itreceived here.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Belt sander.
Nodog

What size paper..80 Grit??

I use the little Rapala sharpener that comes with the filleting knives.. or a whet stone
Old 09-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a butcher and I take my knives into the shop and sharpen them there. We have 3 at the shop. one is a disk grinder, one is a belt grinder with a sandpaper belt and the other is a 3 edge stone. I use them all. You have to be carefull with the belt grinder tho. You don't want to scorch the blade as it will never get sharp again........ ok, maybe after you grind about 1/4" of steel away.
For the avg person the Lansky is the way to go.

Quick Reply: Knife Sharpening

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.