Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

mosquitoes

Old 09-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default mosquitoes

At what temp will those little blood sucking devils die.
The mosquitoes seem to be lossing in numbers but there still out there in force. is there a set temp they start to die off or go dormint
Old 09-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mosquitoes

classic post tim, classic....I think it is 63.45667 degrees at which mosquitoes begin to produce large levels of Melatonin, thereby falling into a deep sleep.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

i see well i hope it gets down there come season opening
ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

classic post tim, classic....I think it is 63.45667 degrees at which mosquitoes begin to produce large levels of Melatonin, thereby falling into a deep sleep.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:38 AM

They don't bother me, they know I'll kick there asses.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

They may go to sleep, but here in arkansas when a warm day comes in the winter them varmits are back out
Old 09-19-2008, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

They're a fact of life here in Florida, just hunt with a thermacell.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:12 AM

I don't think it's the cold that kills them. Alaska is one of the worst places in the world for skeeters. I saw a program on tv one time and it said that a sudden drop in temperature will kill them.That's what "THEY" say.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

i did not know that asleep or dead no matter to me as long as there gone
ORIGINAL: BILBEC613

I don't think it's the cold that kills them. Alaska is one of the worst places in the world for skeeters. I saw a program on tv one time and it said that a sudden drop in temperature will kill them.That's what "THEY" say.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:25 PM

did you pull that number out of your ass, or are you serious? I am interested to know, but I can't tell if you are joking[&:]
Old 09-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

here i swhat i found and he is close. looks like they become lethargic at 60 and can not function at 50. so seems if it goes below 60 where good.

Where do mosquitoes go in the winter? Mosquitoes, like most insects, are cold blooded creatures. As a result, they are incapable of regulating body heat and their temperature is essentially the same as their surroundings. Mosquitoes function best at 80o F, become lethargic at 60o F and cannot function below 50o F. In tropical areas, mosquitoes are active year round. In temperate climates, adult mosquitoes become inactive with the onset of cool weather and enter hibernation to live through the winter. Some kinds of mosquitoes have winter hardy eggs and hibernate as embryos in eggs laid by the last generation of females in late summer. The eggs are usually submerged under ice and hatch in spring when water temperatures rise. Other kinds of mosquitoes overwinter as adult females that mate in the fall, enter hibernation in animal burrows, hollow logs or basements and pass the winter in a state of torpor. In spring, the females emerge from hibernation, blood feed and lay the eggs that produce the next generation of adults. A limited number of mosquitoes overwinter in the larval stage, often buried in the mud of freshwater swamps. When temperatures rise in spring, these mosquitoes begin feeding, complete their immature growth and eventually emerge as adults to continue their kind.
ORIGINAL: shrewbeer

did you pull that number out of your ass, or are you serious? I am interested to know, but I can't tell if you are joking[&:]