Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lost my first deer EVER >

Lost my first deer EVER

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lost my first deer EVER

Old 09-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Lost my first deer EVER

Ok, can you post a pic of the arrow? I'm thinking you either hit a little to high, just above the lungs, or a little back and may of caught the backs of the lungs, and a piece of the liver. The deer's reaction doesn't sound like a typical reaction to a solid lung shot.IF you hit vitals, I'll wager it was the liver area, and sometimes they will take an hour or 2, maybe more to expire. Liver shot deer, at least from the ones I've taken, will often just kinda trot away, stop, and trot some more to go look for a place to lay down. Blood can be tricky to find, especially if they lay down once, then get up and start walking again. I wouldn't give up. Take some buddies out in the daylight and start doing some circles or grid searches.

Did you find any beds where it layed down?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:51 AM

I would put a picture of the arrow on but I had already cleaned it up and preped it for fletching.... And there were deer beds in the area that we tracked through And if anything I was high... cuz I now I didn't hit him a lil back because he had his shoulder forward and thats where the arrow hit I now I wasn't far back.... And I now what you mean about a solid lung hit... Because the deer I shot last year I shoot through both lungs and he took off like a flash after I shot him. But this deer didn't do anything like that one did...
Old 09-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Muzzy Madness

I was shooting from a tree
About 20 yrds.
When the arrow hit the deer it jumped right away then troted about 10 yrds then stopped flickered it's tail a couple times then walked slowly away for about another 10-15 yrds. then stopped for a while... then ran away but not like full bore...
the arrow went all the way through
there was fur on the arrow... My dad looked at it and said it was the right color fur that we want.
arrow was rather red
blood trail was bright red bled mainly on the right side where arrow entry was... but after a while it was bleeding on both sides sometimes there were little bubbles in the blood... some of the blood on the leaves looked as if it was getting pumped out... so I am pretty positive i got 1 lung
but it was hard to see tracks so i couldn't tell you how it was running/walking
BRIGHT red blood is usually muscle blood. Tiny bubbles are often just air bubbles, not like the bubbles you'll get from lung blood. Lung blood is often almost like foam or froth.

You mentioned in your next post that you were prepping the arrow for fletching... did the fletches get ripped off or are you shooting feathers that were just nasty or what? Exactly how the fletches came off can be a big clue as to what happened. If you got a pass through, there should have been a lot more blood on the left side than the right if you were elevated. Of course how high up you were will have something to do with that. Do you think you could have possibly shot low?
Old 09-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

A few questions for ya.

1. How long before you found 1st blood?

2. What side did you hit it on?

3. What side did you find blood on 1st?

4. What color was the hair you found?

5. How long did you have good blood for?

6. Did It bleed real good and just slowly fade away?

7. Did it bleed real good and just quit like that?
Old 09-19-2008, 12:10 PM

Um I was about 15 feet or so and ya Im a feather shooter and I had sprayed them with that no snow from cabelas protects them from shrinking them when they get wet... but they still shrunk up so I washed them off and tried steaming them back but they wouldn't rise enough so I decided to just re fletch and Idk its possible that I could of shot low... But I doubt it...
Old 09-19-2008, 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

A few questions for ya.

1. How long before you found 1st blood?

2. What side did you hit it on?

3. What side did you find blood on 1st?

4. What color was the hair you found?

5. How long did you have good blood for?

6. Did It bleed real good and just slowly fade away?

7. Did it bleed real good and just quit like that?
It took about 10 yrds. before we found blood
i hit it on the right side
found blood on the right side first
the hair was brown but i think there might of been a little white on the tips
had good blood for 100 yrds.
and from then on it slowly faded away for 50 yrds. then nothing
Old 09-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

With a high hit you normally wouldn't find blood right away. On a lower hit or a good lung shot a person usually finds blood right away. The hair you said had some white In It. Could be white belly hair possibly. From the sounds of It you might of hit this deer low, maybe too low and thus missed the lungs. Who knows I guess but It kind of sounds that way.

Did you find any beds from this deer with blood In them?
Old 09-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't give up on finding the deer. Do concentric circles from the spot where you found last blood. Slowly increase the size of the circles in your search pattern. DON"T think "Well, if I was a deer, I'd go here" 'cause you aint a deer. Get some friends to help you with your search and you'll probably find the deer within an hour or two now.

For all the of those firing off your yak-yak guns at this kid, give him a break, we were all beginners once and everyone makes mistakes. Anyone who says they haven't made mistakes, is either a liar or the luckiest SOB that ever lived and needs to buy me a lottery ticket. I won't lose mine like someone else!
Old 09-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm still lookin.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lost my first deer EVER
MM, How long you benn hunting?

Quick Reply: Lost my first deer EVER

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.