Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 If you just have to shoot a young buck..... >

If you just have to shoot a young buck.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you just have to shoot a young buck.....

Old 09-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: If you just have to shoot a young buck.....

It's so easy to tell someone else what to do when you see dozens of bucks in a year. Last year I saw ONE, and don't tell me it's me. It's the territory. Admittedly I didn't hunt as much last year. I've spent days and days glassing fields this summer. I've pin pointed 4 bucks, all on land I can't hunt.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

My question to you would be............. What do you do when the hunting pressure in your area is so great that most people shoots everything that moves? Let them walk 300 yards down the trail so the next guy can kill it because there are VERY few bucks around here that make it past 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 years old unless its on property that can not be hunted. Your statement is true but it only works where there are larger tracts of land and the hunters are more spread out.
Even though I hunt private lands very few if any of the deer stay on our property 100% of the time, so there is a good chance one of my neighbors might shoot what I pass. But I have no control over that....only what I do.

My point is that with the possible exception of the one with kickers, what difference does it make which one shoot, so just shoot the little 4 point or 5 point and leave the others if given a choice and you think you have to shoot a buck.

I certainly don't disagree with anyone that says to pass them all. That is why I have pictures of them.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

My point is that with the possible exception of the one with kickers, what difference does it make which one shoot, so just shoot the little 4 point or 5 point and leave the others if given a choice and you think you have to shoot a buck.
Just like David said, in certain locations it can be very difficult to see bucks...I saw only three last year and I hunted many many hours...a spike, a 6 , and an 8. Luckily all three came within 10 yards of me and I chose to shoot two of them. Some of us do not have the luxury to manage land.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Dominant Buck

What difference does it make???? It's probably going to be the only buck many of us see in a year. LOL Texas people should be forced to spend aweek in the Adirondacks, or Maine, or Vermonthunting as an educational tool. I swear, at the end of a week you'd say there are no deer here. How can there be, there's no food plot, feeders or senderos baited with food.

When I go to Ohio, the only one of those deer in danger is the one with all the kinky kickers. He's interesting.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:07 PM

Why are some people so concerned with what others do, that they feel the need to come to an internet forum and tell people how they should hunt?

Blows my mind.[:@]
Old 09-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Dominant Buck

JB... he's on his holier than thou 20 page project. Don't be thinking rationally on this thread. Personnally, he won't make 20 pages without help from Bwanajim. LOL
Old 09-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Typical Buck

What difference does it make???? It's probably going to be the only buck many of us see in a year. LOL Texas people should be forced to spend aweek in the Adirondacks, or Maine, or Vermonthunting as an educational tool. I swear, at the end of a week you'd say there are no deer here. How can there be, there's no food plot, feeders or senderos baited with food.
I understand that the entire country is not the same and I am certainly not "peaving" about the guy that desires to shoot whatever he shoots if they are few and far between.

I am referring to the situation that many hunters do, whatever region they are in and two bucks are running together. Why shoot the bigger of the two if neither is really all that big to begin with.

And for what it is worth, the part of Texas that I am in has more in common with Kansas (I am within 80 miles of Kansas and its about 500 miles to San Antonio)hunting than what most people think of when referring to Texas. We didn't even have enough deer to hunt until 1985 and it was 1989before I ever shot a deer and even then the numbers were so sparse that few people believed me until they saw it.

I know all about hunting hard all season and being able to count the number of deer you saw the entire season on your hands. Yes, today it is a different story and we are getting overpopulated, but I've been on the other end of the spectrum as well.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've hunted in the Panhandle,actuallyShamrock, Texas. True that it was not like South Texas, but no shortage of deer either!
Old 09-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

Manage your land you hunt as you see fit... If your happy with 4-6 points then take em'. If you arefortunate enough to hunt a property where you actually have some control over QDM, then pass on the young ones, especially the ones with potential, and pray for them to make it long enough to get big enough to make your heart about jump out of your chest. If you want meat then take a doe. I have been doing this for only 4 years now and am now seeing more "mature" bucks than ever before. I have shot small bucks before too, don't get me wrong, just had a change in mindset.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jackflap

Don't shoot unless you haven't shot one this big yet
This statement defeats the point of your thread

Quick Reply: If you just have to shoot a young buck.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.