Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting pa

Old 09-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default hunting pa

Im from central pa, private ground is getting really thin, although i have hunted state gamelands in rifle, bowseason is about 60/40 for me, i have hunted mostly private ground for bowhunting, but like i said its getting really tough to find anymore.. So my focus is on state gamelands, and one thing i will say is that it is a whole different ballgame, where i hunt is thick with mountain laurel and rhodadendrum, there are no trails that you can bank on, deer seem to wonder about with no real in and out, and even bedding areas, it seems they sleep where ever they want to, unless presurred. The wind swirls a lot which makes it even tougher..so its more of a waiting game, i usually just find a place and stick with it, although i have shot a few nice bucks with rifle, im still waiting for my first wallhanger with a bow. Ive been bowhunting 32 years. I have shot some smaller bucks with my bow but nothing big, i know there are some brutes out there on the gamelands i hunt, but they are tough deer to connect with, there isnt any food plots or fields anywhere near where i hunt, to be honest i sometimes wonder why they are there, food is scarce, but they are. Does anyone else here in PA agree with me on this and maybe have some pointers about land like this..
Old 09-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: hunting pa

I also hunt state game land in PA. Like you said, it covers a lot of area, with heavy cover (mountain laurel) and not a many food sources. What I try to do, is locate oak trees (acorns) this time of year and focus on those. Also any kind of natural funnel , creek bottoms, these kinds of things I focus on. And being public land, the farther off the beaten path the better chance of seeing more mature bucks. Two more weeks, I can't wait! Good Luck.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

where ya hunting at wilk?
Old 09-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

black moshannon area

Old 09-17-2008, 02:17 PM

I know where your at. We have a cabbin on Mudlick Rd up there. A good place ive found is on Dug Rd if you know where that is. Just drive up the hill and park anywhere along the top 1/3 of the hill and go down the hill a little ways. We found that for Bear hunting because its where the local game commission drops all the trouble bears. Ive seen alot of deer in there though.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

i dont know where mudlick road is, but im sure i can find it on a map, if i get a chance i will check it out... thanks retaks..
Old 09-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mikeshunk

I also hunt state game land in PA. Like you said, it covers a lot of area, with heavy cover (mountain laurel) and not a many food sources. What I try to do, is locate oak trees (acorns) this time of year and focus on those. Also any kind of natural funnel , creek bottoms, these kinds of things I focus on. And being public land, the farther off the beaten path the better chance of seeing more mature bucks. Two more weeks, I can't wait! Good Luck.
I'm in the same boat, just a little further south in Michaux State forest. Mikeshunk's advice sums it up pretty much.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

You should hunt in Monroe co. I here they have 1.5 million deer there.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

I recomend hunting the white oaks and the top brimm of hollows if theres any around where the deer will go around instead of down the hollow and up the other side.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

i have tried it all , like i said, its all luck when it comes to hunting the big game lands ....thanks for the pointers..

Quick Reply: hunting pa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.