Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 09-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: When a buck disappears- where does he go ?

somewhere else[8D]
Old 09-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

In my area they start to feed pretty heavy on acorns this time of the year until they are gone. They still feed on crops but seem to mainly do sounder the safety ofdarkness.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

To Hunsuckers treestands....[8D]
Old 09-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Dominant Buck

To eat something else....somewhere else?

I think (Emphasis on "think") that they have multiple cores within their home range. What you're seeing is what I see here every year. Their summer core is different when the food source changes. I'm seeing it change, here, right now. they're getting off the beans and onto the mast crops....although the beans are greener than ever and plentiful. The acorns are falling, though. I heard them hitting all around me, last night.

I've said it before.....wher emy bucks, here, "summer" .....is different from where they "winter". It's a simple way of stating what I did before.

Find his next preferred food source....and you'll find his next core.

It's also getting time for them to think about splitting up.....so your chances of spotting him will go down...if he's a lone buck (in lieu of several).

Three seasons and this is my "theory". Take it with a grain of salt.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

To eat something else....somewhere else?

I think (Emphasis on "think") that they have multiple cores within their home range. What you're seeing is what I see here every year. Their summer core is different when the food source changes. I'm seeing it change, here, right now. they're getting off the beans and onto the mast crops....although the beans are greener than ever and plentiful. The acorns are falling, though. I heard them hitting all around me, last night.

I've said it before.....wher emy bucks, here, "summer" .....is different from where they "winter". It's a simple way of stating what I did before.

Find his next preferred food source....and you'll find his next core.

It's also getting time for them to think about splitting up.....so your chances of spotting him will go down...if he's a lone buck (in lieu of several).

Three seasons and this is my "theory". Take it with a grain of salt.
I think GMMAT is pretty dead on. I know here in Illinois you can watch groups of bucks all summer feeding in beans, but once the beans start to dry up they move onto the next preferred food source.Also, once the velvet comes off and the bachelor groups break up, the bucks put a little space between themselves, so I guess you can say the core area expands at that point. We all know how far a buck will travel during the rut,so it only makes sense that the bucks will start expanding that area as soon as the bachelor groups break up. I am going thru this right now, I have been watching a group of six really good bucks all summer, but have not seen them with my eye are camera in the last two weeks.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wish I knew. The real challenge in hunting is trying to pattern a big buck, and it's not an easy task. This year I set up blinds and stands at places where deer tracks were minimal at best, but when I can't find them in the prime spots I will be hunting those other locations.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Getting more and more nocturnal as fall approaches.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

they like to hide along the river and down by the pond, through the swail and in the corn fields.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Getting more and more nocturnal as fall approaches.
... and trail camera savvy

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.