Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I messed up tonight >

I messed up tonight

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I messed up tonight

Old 09-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I messed up tonight

I had a doe and 2 fawns coming to my food plot in the back yard at about 5:15. They were coming from straight in front of me. I got stood up and ready for the shot. Just as they went under a limb to enter the plot I drew my bow. Then all of a sudden a deer off to my right starts to blow. I didn't even know she was there. I was concentrating on the 3 in front of me, I hadn't noticed another doe enter the plot from my right. She caught me drawing and the gig was up. They all took a few bounds back into the woods and stomped and blew for a few minutes and then took off.

Needless to say I didn't see any more deer after that.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I messed up tonight

Thats tough luck right there but it definately happens. When you get so many deer they are hard to get drawn on...They'll be back and you can get revenge....
Old 09-16-2008, 07:40 PM

aw, sorry to hear that!!next time you hunt there teach that doe a lesson and stick her!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

sorry to hear that, at least it wasnt a 10 pointer that busted you...[:@], ive learned over the years to gtake a slow look all the way around before drawing.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

yea i did that last year. only iwas getting ready to draw on a nice big doe. only problem was i didn't notice the huge 8 the had snuck into 30 yards to my right. yea i didn't get either one and i said a few words under my breath.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, them does are so easy......wish I was you John, haven't gotten to hunt yet but ah, two more sleeps and Matt and I will be in NC on our first sit. I'm so looking forward to it.

Good luck John. I consider mature, cagey momma does worthy adversaries.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

It happens!! That's bow hunting for ya.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same thing happened to me last year with a pretty good buck. He was running does and I never even seen the two does standing right behind me. It happens, all we can do is try to learn from our mistakes and do our best not to repeat them.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:53 PM

Does with fawns get free passes from me....I shot a doe with a Fawn many years ago and watched that fawn come back and Curl up beside momma doe and It was one of the worse feeling I ever had come over me!! Kinda the same Feeling when you misplace a shot on a deer and you hear the deer laying there making those aweful Grunt/screaming sounds when they are suffering!! To where you have to take another shot to Finish it!

Just can't do it until they are completely big enough to fend for theirselves!
Old 09-16-2008, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

shoot her instead of momma and her babies.. youll get another chance

Quick Reply: I messed up tonight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.