Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Arrow too heavy?? >

Arrow too heavy??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow too heavy??

Old 09-14-2008, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow too heavy??

ORIGINAL: 320fpsmathews

all the down-range kinetic energy,weight, or penetration capabilities are worth a hill of beans if the buck jumps the string of your slowpoke[:'(] 240fps bow and is in the next county when your 500+gr. log of an arrow finally gets there!!! my 74 lb. switchback xt drives 27" maxima 350's(2"blazers,100gr.tips) which weigh 368gr(a hair under 5gr/inch)I've probably shot 4000 arrows with NO troubles!!!the bow sports a five pin sight with which I can ,with equal ease,hita six inch ring at twenty or sixty yards!! let's see a 54lb. bow with a 500 gr. arrow do that!as for penetration,all four deer I killed last year(two bucks,two does)were clean pass through shots.and none came close to jumping the string!!even at 40 yards!!!!! heavier arrows may be able to "shoot through a dodge engine" but an engine doesn't have the reflexes of a 5yr. old whitetail buck!!!! the new parallel limb bows have much less limb travel and tons more built in vibe absorb than older bow designs,therefore can withstand lighter arrows without damage.shoot a mathews,then we'll talk

320fpsmathews,

I shoot a 480 gr arrow right around 270 fps. In my books that ain't bad for a log! My bow is whisper quiet, I thought my bo was quiet before. Well it's even more now, I thought it didn't have any recoil, well it sure as heck doesn't now!! Penetration is really nice, and my arrows fly so much nicer. I'm not afraid of the deer jumping the string cause they wont hear it. For hunting, I wouldn't have it any other way. If you haven't shot a heavy arrow, you need to try it.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:42 PM

320FPS IS SLOW COMPARED TO MY HCA SPEED PRO 352FPS...YOU NEED BOTH A GOOD WEIGHT AND RESONABLE SPEED...
Old 09-14-2008, 08:57 PM

ORIGINAL: LSUBOWHUNTER

320FPS IS SLOW COMPARED TO MY HCA SPEED PRO 352FPS...YOU NEED BOTH A GOOD WEIGHT AND RESONABLE SPEED...
Question is, what is a good weight and what speeds are reasonable?
How do you like your HCA Speedpro, btw?
Old 09-14-2008, 09:05 PM

I LOVE THE BOW. IT IS QUITE,SMOOTH, AND SUPER FAST. I LIKE EASTON AXIS AND BEAMAN TEAM REALTREE WHICH IS 9.6GR PER INCH I BELIEVE AT 29 INCHES AND 100GR BROADHEADS PUSHING 400 OR MORE GRAINS, THE AXIS ARE LIGHTER AND SHOOT A LITTLE FASTER FOR TARGET SHOOTING. AND AS FAR AS SPEED 270 FPS AND UP IS PLENTY FAST..
Old 09-14-2008, 09:14 PM

Thanks for the input, LSUBowhunter. I'm considering getting one with the mini-trinary cam.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:07 PM

geez i don't know david,is 30 yrs. bowhunting whitetail,mule deer,elk and pronghorns in western montana "very much hunting"?? I grew up sharing hunting grounds with the likes of chuck adams and gene wensel.but i'm a "newbie" on your little chat room, so what do I know??? i'll just sit quietly and try to absorb all your brilliance
Old 09-14-2008, 10:34 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Ya'll go right ahead with those itsy bitsy arrows. Just don't tell us you weren't warned. I could care less if you want a cam cutting on your noggin. You want to push the envelope at the bottom end, no skin off my nose, or eye, or ear, or cheek or lip. As far as the remark about a deer jumping the string, you obviously haven't hunted all that much if you believe that 300 fps is going to make that all go away. Many of us have shot them with recurves over and over. Bowhunting is NOT about speed.... it really isn't. Noooooooo,delivering an arrow to a living target isn't about speed.and neither is DRAG RACING!!
Old 09-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

OF course it's not too heavy. If anything, I'd like to see it just a tad higher for hunting. He's only running about 6.5 grains per pound. I'd rather see 7-9. It's easier on the equipment, makes the bow quieter and will shoot through Dodge engine blocks. For me, he's as low as I'd want to see him.
X3
Old 09-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Ya'll go right ahead with those itsy bitsy arrows. Just don't tell us you weren't warned. I could care less if you want a cam cutting on your noggin. You want to push the envelope at the bottom end, no skin off my nose, or eye, or ear, or cheek or lip. As far as the remark about a deer jumping the string, you obviously haven't hunted all that much if you believe that 300 fps is going to make that all go away. Many of us have shot them with recurves over and over. Bowhunting is NOT about speed.... it really isn't.
I could not agree more!
I uped my setup from 380 gr. last year to 490 gr. this year and could not be happier, my bow shoots like a dream, and is much quieter.
Also, in a recent article in the NFAA magazine, the author suggests that trying to fling broadheads above 280 fps is not such a good thing.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:42 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: 320fpsmathews

geez i don't know david,is 30 yrs. bowhunting whitetail,mule deer,elk and pronghorns in western montana "very much hunting"?? I grew up sharing hunting grounds with the likes of chuck adams and gene wensel.but i'm a "newbie" on your little chat room, so what do I know??? i'll just sit quietly and try to absorb all your brilliance
Well I stand corrected on your time hunting, but not corrected on the fact a deer can still get out of the way. You're in the East and whitetail country now. You aren't shooting elk and mulies. I was bowhunting about 10 years before you if that matters at all. I don't know that it's brilliance I'm counting on here, it's experiences. To me a quiet safe bow is just or more important than an extra 40 fps. You seem proud of the fact you're shooting below what the manufacture and your buddies Wensel and Chuckrecommend. If Chucks preference had rubbed off on you at all you'd be shooting about a 525 grain arrow minimum.[8D]

Quick Reply: Arrow too heavy??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.