Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Very impressed with the G5's >

Very impressed with the G5's

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Very impressed with the G5's

Old 09-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Very impressed with the G5's

Well I have been trying to pick up the Slick Tricks but no one carries them around here....I wanted to get a new head that I can easily go to the store and buy in a pinch....picked up the G5's at Gander Mountain and shot them this morning after re-nocking all of my arrows.

They flew extremely well time and time again. They are expensive but they sure moved fast and were on the target faster than I can remember any other fixed head I have shot! And they were quiet......

Old 09-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Very impressed with the G5's

only problem is they come out of the package about as sharp as a butter knife. Takes some work to get an decent edge on them.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never really sharpened blades before---just bought replacement blades all of these years on my Muzzy's. What is a good sharpener goherd?
Old 09-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

i like them and they fly very true but out of my bow they hiss
Old 09-14-2008, 11:37 AM

they sell a montec diamond stone sharpener that supposedly works pretty well on them. I sharpen my strikers with the G5 sportsmans stick, and cant complain. It does the trick.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ty TEmbry
Old 09-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: goherd1111

only problem is they come out of the package about as sharp as a butter knife. Takes some work to get an decent edge on them.
I've heard people have problems with this before, however, after doing a little digging a found that it's merely the way they are made that makes them appear to be less than razor sharp. That being said, you're not going to have any problems with their sharpness
Old 09-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

so wahoo---you have shot them right out of the box and it made a good clean pass through on a deer?
Old 09-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

so wahoo---you have shot them right out of the box and it made a good clean pass through on a deer?
I've never sharpened my Montecs before and I havenow killed 4 deer with them

3 were complete passthroughs and the other made a hole in the opposite side but the back half the arrow was still in the buck.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:38 PM

ORIGINAL: goherd1111

misconception imo. a blade with a 60 degree angle on it wont feel razor sharp to the touch, but is plenty sharp when it comes to cutting. put a 30 degree angle on that blade, and the edge wont hold near as long but will feel sharp enough to cut you by looking at it. the montec is designed for a 60 degree angle put on it. the edge will hold its sharpness much longer this way.

Quick Reply: Very impressed with the G5's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.