Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Storing hunting clothes / scent >

Storing hunting clothes / scent

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Storing hunting clothes / scent

Old 09-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Storing hunting clothes / scent

Good to here from you as well my friend !! All of my hunting is from the ground and in my area the deer numbers have been staying down compared with the rest of the state. I can only shoot 1 deer a year here and it has to be a buck this year. Buck or doe they are hard to come by for the most part up here. Last I didn't have more than a half day to hunt in so it wasn't a good year. The year before that I was able to walk up on a big spike and we had that one for quite a few dinners..This year howeverI will be traveling down state on a hunt that has alot of deer on an island 18 miles out past Rockland, Me. I am hoping to get a couple out of there but non the less it will be a great trip to go on. I will be on the island a week from tommorrow and it will be great just to get away from it all. This year has turned out to be very busy for me.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

WOW Phill..we are short on deertoo but I can kill 2 bucks a day for 3 months..but only does in archery

:This year has turned out to be very busy for me. "
Phil

yes sir..with the recession going on..it's been a trip here as well..i don;t now how poor people make it

Old 09-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

I think you answered your question man... you have to NOT stink on the stand. Take off the stinky clothes and put them in a black trash bag and leave it at the bottom of the stand. And then take ANOTHER change of clothes for walking out. It's a pain, but you gotta do what you gotta do... Take the hit, and the hassle will be old hat before you know it!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow if I had to walk 1 mile to my stand I would try to find a closer route to start!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

When it's really hot I will just wear leafy camo, just the mesh stuff.. Walk in with less, carry some scent wipes and wipe down once your there...
Old 09-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Wow if I had to walk 1 mile to my stand I would try to find a closer route to start!

It's the shortest route there..pretty much direct..I'm wondering how I'll be getting my deer out once I bag one.[8D]
Old 09-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Loose the cotton. You need extreme moisture wicking garments. Silk may work well. As far as preparing them, be smart about it. Don't clean clothes and then contaminate them getting them out. Think about it and act accordingly. Personally I pack each piece of clothes in it's own zip-lok bag. I can rifle through the stuff as often as I care to finding what I want for the day without ever touching the stuff and it really isn't expensive or trouble.

Warm wether's tough to hunt in. Work on not impacting the area you hunt in. Don't shuffle your feet, don't touch anything, don't rub up agaisnt things, walk softly, critters feel sound with their feet/paws. Move slowly and deliberatly. You maybe giving away your there even before they smell or see you. Don't hunt down wind or in swirling winds. Change your clothes a couple hundred yards away from your site, Sit down there and cool off if you need to. Don't move around or make noise when your hunting.

After all this work make the shot count.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

last year i packed all my gear in the big plastic container i stored my clothes in for hunting i tossed the hunters specialty fresh earth scent wafer in it aswell.
I went down in the basement and got to thing out to get ready for hunting.
God i was surprised at how little i really had last year. A can call from primos a rattle bag and a face mask. no camo.

Well i opened it and just about throw up i thought it was mold. Nope it smelled more like the woods then the woods do.
The scent wafer had scented everything in it. Now this has been sitting for a year with out being open. And it smells like it was in the woods for amonth.

Get some cover scent wafers and drop one in the bag .
Old 09-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's the shortest route there..pretty much direct..I'm wondering how I'll be getting my deer out once I bag one.[8D] ....Chuck..
If I have anyluck down at Vinalhaven I will show you some pics on how I drag them any distance..
Down there it is shoot all the does you want, but only 1 buck as it is overpopulated..
Old 09-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Change your clothes a couple hundred yards away from your site, Sit down there and cool off if you need to. Don't move around or make noise when your hunting.
Nodog

OK this may work..

Quick Reply: Storing hunting clothes / scent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.