Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "Any bow kill is a trophy..." >

"Any bow kill is a trophy..."

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Any bow kill is a trophy..."

Old 09-13-2008, 10:44 PM

Default "Any bow kill is a trophy..."

For those of you who are of this mindset, why do you believe this statement to be true?

At the same time, is any rifle kill a trophy?

Any muzzleloader kill?

Any shotgun kill?

Why is bowhunting that much different as far as what constitutes a trophy?

I'm not looking for a debate on why bowhunting is better than any other form of hunting. I'm just curious as to what some of you think about this statement. We hear it often enough, but I've never heard anyone explain why.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Any bow kill is a trophy..."

While shooting a deer at 200+ yds an example of good marksmanship,you're really not beating that deer's senses.Shooting one at 15yds or under is totally differant
Old 09-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have mixed feelings, after REALLY thinking about it.

I believe the trophy is in the eye of the beholder. Cliche', yeah. I believe any deer harvested(by me) is a trophy, IF it is a deer that I think it is (see Caught up in the Kill)Who is anyone to tell anyone else that it is in fact a trophy because you shot it with a ________?

Just my thoughts.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:54 PM

If you can't figure out on your own why harvesting a deer with a bow is a bigger accomplishment than with a rifle or muzzleloader, then there is no sense in explaining it to you. It's kind of like comparing taking a deer with a recurve or a compund. If you can't figure out which one is more difficult then there is no sense in explaining it to you.

Let's see................A deer with a bow from 20 yards, or a deer from a rifle from 200 yards. You be the judge.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:00 PM

So distance relative to the hunter constitutes a trophy?

Could a rifle hunter not simply do the same thing? Waiting for a shot at an animal inside 20 yards?

Would that trophy be the same as one taken with a bow?
Old 09-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: *JB*

If you can't figure out on your own why harvesting a deer with a bow is a bigger accomplishment than with a rifle or muzzleloader, then there is no sense in explaining it to you. It's kind of like comparing taking a deer with a recurve or a compund. If you can't figure out which one is more difficult then there is no sense in explaining it to you.

Let's see................A deer with a bow from 20 yards, or a deer from a rifle from 200 yards. You be the judge.
That is some flawed logic

At what point does

A rifle at ____ yards = bow at _____ yards.

What if I shot a deer at 900 yards with a rifle, then would it be a trophy?

...how can you tell me that a trophy to ME, isn't. I'm real confused.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:22 PM

Sorry, I was assuming we were talking realistic shots. IE 20 yards with a bow, 200 with a rifle. Hell shoot one at 3 miles with a rifle and it is a trophy. I honestly think some of you talk out your ass sometimes just to argue.

BTW you can call one of your turds a trophy and I can't take that away from you.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:26 PM

You still didn't answer my question though;

Distance relative to the hunter is what constitutes a trophy, JB?

If that were the case...
Old 09-13-2008, 11:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe anything is a trophy no matter what its harvested with. My biggest three trophys are firearm kills, even though i rarely hunt with them anymore. My sons first buck was a 1.5 six point with a shotgun. It was to me and him better than any trophy i had taken at that time. Its what you make of it. In my younger years anything was a trophy to me but as i have gotten older with many deer under the belt, i have changed in my eyes what a trophy is TO ME. Its where you are at the stage in your life and what your goals are. If you think a 1.5 -4 point is a trophy, then so be it, it is!! Its what anyone deems a trophy is to him/her.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

You still didn't answer my question though;

Distance relative to the hunter is what constitutes a trophy, JB?

If that were the case...
It's not about distance.It's aboutbeating a deerin his own backyard-beating his senses and getting off the perfect shot

Quick Reply: "Any bow kill is a trophy..."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.