HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Why Scent-lok is a joke. (opinion) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/262805-why-scent-lok-joke-opinion.html)

my7pointmonster 09-12-2008 11:29 AM

Why Scent-lok is a joke. (opinion)

The reason I wont buy a scent lok suit anytime soon, is very simply because you see all the Pro's on tv hunting with it sure thats awesome, but listen to them sometime, "Ohh we cant hunt that stand because its got a North west wind and that would carry our scent out over the beans which would bust the deer"

OK you've got your scent suit and blah blah blah Take your scent free bath blah blah blah Now spray with this 20 dollar stuff blah blah blah Dude... You already paid 200 bucks for the suit and you cant even hunt where you want to hunt??? why bother??

Sorry. Just I saw a hunter last night say that so it sorta cheesed me off.

But to me thats why I think Scent lok is a Joke.

Ryan.

Mottz 09-12-2008 11:33 AM

RE: Why Scent-lok is a joke. (opinion)

I won't buy it cause of the price.

Vito1 09-12-2008 11:43 AM

I won't argue whether it works or not, but my question is whybuy it from a store? The carbon has a "life" from the time it starts absorbing scent. If it sits on a rack in store, touched, tried on multiple times, falls on the floor, etc, aren't you buying a used product? You can buy them direct and have them shipped to you in the sealed bag they ship it to the stores in. I worked for a large outdoor store while attending college and if some stuff didn't see that fall, they put it in the back and pulled it out again the next summer. Some of it was over 2 years old. That doesn't seem right to me.

If I'm wrong about this being a bad thing, someone please correct me. I could have bad information on the life of a carbon suit.

Bucky10 09-12-2008 11:48 AM

The way I look at it.....The carbon can't hurt you, if you have the money to buy it, then buy it, if you don't then hunt the wind. I don't see what the big deal is, its marketing folks its what the whole world is now built around and will be built around from now till the end of time!!! Makin' them ENDS!!!!!

mobow 09-12-2008 11:51 AM

And thanks for sharing. Now that we've got that out in the open.....:eek:

badassbowtech 09-12-2008 12:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Mottz

I won't buy it cause of the price.
Yep I can't stand all the crap. Everybody that endorses it on tv make it that expensive. You have to pay for those celebs to say it's great.

bigwhitetailbuck 09-12-2008 12:38 PM

The reason I buy cheap stuff is because of this:

I have sat in my stand on windy days before in my regular school clothes and even with some regular deoderant or cologne on and the deer walk right under me.

MNDan 09-12-2008 12:44 PM

From a scientific point of view I think it's already been proven that Scent Lok can't work. At least not after the first hour or two that you wear it new out of the packaging. The carbon gets saturated and that is that. You can't reactivate it at temps less than 850 degrees CELSIUS, so forget about the dryer. You are left with a suit that is slightly heavier than a normal one with no advantage.

http://www.norit-ac.com/english/activatedcarbon.asp?submenuCat=reactivation

I bought into the hype a few years ago, and was getting winded on the second day I wore it. Never again. Keep your hunting clothes clean, shower before heading out, and try not to sweat. Not much else you can do. I still wear my Scent Lok suit, but it's for the GoreTex, not the carbon.

dan

Cougar Mag 09-12-2008 01:17 PM

I have sat in my stand on windy days before in my regular school clothes and even with some regular deoderant or cologne on and the deer walk right under me.
The key phrase being on windy days:eek:. I don't wear the stuff myself but Scent-lok and Scent Blocker do make some great clothing.

mauser06 09-12-2008 02:01 PM

plain and simple...sprays, suits etc etc will not cover 100% of your human scent....no substitution for hunting the wind...

but, any hunter thats hunted long enough will tell you they dont ALWAYS come from where you except them to...they dont always stay down wind...your careful with your trail walking in but they still wander close or over it....the wind swirls or shifts while your on stand...thermals come into play etc etc etc.....THIS is where scent control practices come into play. the showers, the sprays, the suits, etc etc...ive found since i started my scent control practices last season that it really does help....is it the scent lok? i dont know...i see it as part of the puzzle...

i see the stuff saleing for outrageous prices....but what ive found is that stuff is TOP NOTCH...grade A hunting gear...quiet, usually waterproof or somewhat water resistant, more breathable than the cheaper stuff etc etc....its just quality gear....i always said id never pay for it....but changed my tune...even if it wasnt scent lok i still think it would be worth paying the extra money beyond typical clothing...cheaper...but its noisy, uncomfortable, fit isnt right, not breathable if its waterproof so your either sweating or your soaked...just worth the extra money if you have it and you spend alot of days in the field every season.....if you hunt a few times a year you might not see it being worth it....but if you spend the time out there, your going to see the difference between good quality gear and clothing and cheap stuff, even if its not CHEAP..that just isnt in the same playing field

just my 2cents...

robbcayman 09-12-2008 02:05 PM

If that stuff works why not just buy the $10 spray?????[&:]I have yet to hear a good argument against this reasoning.

Chuck7 09-12-2008 02:08 PM

Thanks for opening my eyes guys..you ..great post

Talondale 09-12-2008 02:30 PM

Only thing I do for scent control is shower with unscented soap, wash my clothes in baking soda, and use unscented deodorant. You can't eliminate your scent but no sense (pun intended) going into the woods reeking of perfumes.

nralover 09-12-2008 02:57 PM

I know some folks that have sat on a log on the ground and had to throw their lit cigarette down to nail a deer that walked within 30 yards of them.The old timers managed without it, I can too.

dukemichaels 09-12-2008 03:43 PM

The reason I wont buy a scent lok suit anytime soon, is very simply because you see all the Pro's on tv hunting with it sure thats awesome, but listen to them sometime, "Ohh we cant hunt that stand because its got a North west wind and that would carry our scent out over the beans which would bust the deer"

OK you've got your scent suit and blah blah blah Take your scent free bath blah blah blah Now spray with this 20 dollar stuff blah blah blah Dude... You already paid 200 bucks for the suit and you cant even hunt where you want to hunt??? why bother??

Ryan.
Gosh. I never thought of it that way.

Now that you mention it.. you're correct.. why do I spend "big" bucks on a suit thats not even MAGICAL.

I'm such an idiot.. and thank you for pointing this out.

Next you're gonna tell me that my 15 dollar grunt call doesn't even call in deer all the time. Please don't tell me its not magical too... what will I have to live for?

I can't believe anything anymore. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:([&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o]

GR8atta2d 09-12-2008 03:46 PM

You better believe all the hype..and here's a deal for those who say the can't afford it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX: IT&item=280264155337

Jason Cuda 09-12-2008 04:40 PM

From a scientific point of view I think it's already been proven that Scent Lok can't work. At least not after the first hour or two that you wear it new out of the packaging. The carbon gets saturated and that is that. You can't reactivate it at temps less than 850 degrees CELSIUS, so forget about the dryer. You are left with a suit that is slightly heavier than a normal one with no advantage.

http://www.norit-ac.com/english/acti...t=reactivation

I bought into the hype a few years ago, and was getting winded on the second day I wore it. Never again. Keep your hunting clothes clean, shower before heading out, and try not to sweat. Not much else you can do. I still wear my Scent Lok suit, but it's for the GoreTex, not the carbon.

dan

ORIGINAL: MNDan

dan

I agree with this also. I own countless scent lock and scent shield clothing. Its a waste of money in my opinion. Now, I look for quality clothing, with cuffs, zippers, snaps and material, that works for me. I just keep my clothes cleaned with proper scent free detergent, and then I double bag them, and store them in sealable plastic bins. I air out my boots regularly, and wash them also in the sink. It works for me, and makes me feel like I have done everything necessary. Thermals and the wind is an uncontrollable element, and must be played wisely.

Jason

minnesotadeer 09-12-2008 05:13 PM

Does it help. Probably. Can you ever truly measure how much. Nope. Buy it and wear it if you like it. It's good quality and is good stuff. I don't own any and don't plan on buying any. I'm more about extreme scent control with my body and regular camo. But to each their own. I have plenty of friends that use it and good for them!!!

Tribal 09-12-2008 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Jason Cuda

dan

ORIGINAL: MNDan

dan

I agree with this also. I own countless scent lock and scent shield clothing. Its a waste of money in my opinion. Now, I look for quality clothing, with cuffs, zippers, snaps and material, that works for me. I just keep my clothes cleaned with proper scent free detergent, and then I double bag them, and store them in sealable plastic bins. I air out my boots regularly, and wash them also in the sink. It works for me, and makes me feel like I have done everything necessary. Thermals and the wind is an uncontrollable element, and must be played wisely.

Jason
EXACTLY! My opinion also.

dukemichaels 09-12-2008 06:41 PM

Now that you mention it.. you're correct.. why do I spend "big" bucks on a suit thats not even MAGICAL.

Next you're gonna tell me that my 15 dollar grunt call doesn't even call in deer all the time. Please don't tell me its not magical too... what will I have to live for?

I can't believe anything anymore.
Gee.. I write 1 little sarcastic comment towards the reasoning behind this thread and someone calls me an idiot over pm.

Gotta love forums and the internet.:D

TEmbry 09-12-2008 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

Gee.. I write 1 little sarcastic comment towards the reasoning behind this thread and someone calls me an idiot over pm.

serves ya right.[>:] No differing opinions allowed.

I personally, dont buy into it...but dont hold it against the guy that thinks it helps...Whatever floats his boat. Price is a wash anymore, as long as you buy it on sale or used. I also agree that no matter what you do, hunting the wind is still a must. But even on that, I admit I know little about wind characteristics. I check weather.com for wind speed/direction before I head out, then double check upon arrival. If it is predominantly blowing in the right direction, I head to stand.

Do I think it helps? Well no, but doesn't mean it is garbage. Still quality threads no matter what. The ONLY thing that gets me about scentlok is their logo...you know the "forget the wind, just hunt." slogan. How idiotic.

Plenty of things are questionable on whether they are worth it.Its up to individuals to decide whether or not a certain product will work for them.

Who Cares really? I used to despise scentlok as well...but once I thought about it...who cares? Why on earth would I let the type of clothes some hunter 2 states away wears when he brags em up? I dont care anymore...nothing can be gained by bashing scentlok or praising it even for that matter. Ive seen science disproving it, but SL apparently has science proving it. Who cares. Ill go on hunting without it, and Ill likely survive...as will SL. No biggie, use whatever clothes yall want. Just don't go spewing the bs about how amazing it works.

BTW, this wasnt directed at you Duke...I agree with your first post, even though I dont believe in the product. Different strokes for different folks.

deerslayer223 09-12-2008 07:07 PM

That stuff is a joke. Why have people have killed deer for many many years before scent-lok came along. I spray down hunt the wind and still kill deer. I'll save my money it's not necessary to have scent-lok to kill deer.

dukemichaels 09-12-2008 07:12 PM

quote:

quote:

Gotta love forums and the internet.

serves ya right. No differing opinions allowed.

I personally, dont buy into it...but dont hold it against the guy that thinks it helps...Whatever floats his boat. Price is a wash anymore, as long as you buy it on sale or used. I also agree that no matter what you do, hunting the wind is still a must. But even on that, I admit I know little about wind characteristics. I check weather.com for wind speed/direction before I head out, then double check upon arrival. If it is predominantly blowing in the right direction, I head to stand.

Do I think it helps? Well no, but doesn't mean it is garbage. Still quality threads no matter what. The ONLY thing that gets me about scentlok is their logo...you know the "forget the wind, just hunt." slogan. How idiotic.

Plenty of things are questionable on whether they are worth it. Its up to individuals to decide whether or not a certain product will work for them.

Who Cares really? I used to despise scentlok as well...but once I thought about it...who cares? Why on earth would I let the type of clothes some hunter 2 states away wears when he brags em up? I dont care anymore...nothing can be gained by bashing scentlok or praising it even for that matter. Ive seen science disproving it, but SL apparently has science proving it. Who cares. Ill go on hunting without it, and Ill likely survive...as will SL. No biggie, use whatever clothes yall want. Just don't go spewing the bs about how amazing it works.

BTW, this wasnt directed at you Duke...I agree with your first post, even though I dont believe in the product. Different strokes for different folks.

Hoyt and Benelli.....Best of the Best.

Trevor
Tembry.. I didn't take anything personal.. never do. Unless of course you pm me and call me a name.. what's that all about..(dude who called me a name)

I never have and never will push a product at another. I reccomend things when asked.. but never push. I don't care what you use.. I listen when it works for you.. but I don't care right off the bat.

It's funny you say the "forget the wind just hunt".. that's what the author was getting at. How he thought it was inappropriate and stupid really that they (the hunters on tv) couldn't just forget the wind.

Heck.. who doesn't believe the slogans bad? But its just a slogan.. nothing in this world is magical.

A chevy isn't really like a rock..

and a pepsi isn't really the choice of a new generation. I am the new generation.. and I prefer coke.

They are slogans. And I can't fathom why so many fight the slogan issue.

Peace my brothers and my sisters.

and ps- stop calling me names over pm..[>:]

TEmbry 09-12-2008 07:25 PM

A chevy isn't really like a rock..
My old one was..it was always stationary from acting up.[8D]

I now roll deep in my Ford...problems gone. Coke is far and away better btw.

MN/Kyle 09-12-2008 07:31 PM

Sarcasm killed the cat.

gutshotem 09-12-2008 08:19 PM

The thing is, it's not just slogans that they use to push their products like coke dealers.
They draw diagrams explaining how without their product you can only hunt a 90 degree radius.
Then there's the big lie about how the stuff can be "reactivated" in a clothes dryer when studies show it has to be superheated to release any scent.
Their marketing is based on lies.

SC Sportsman 09-12-2008 09:04 PM

I never used it mainly because of price. I don't know if it helps or not but I doubt that it hurts anything.
I did hear the other day that a test was done were some guys put on the suits and hid in the woods. Then some other guys came with a dog and found like 18 or 19 out of 20. Don't know how much truth there is in this, really don't care since I don't use it. Just thought it was interesting.

my7pointmonster 09-12-2008 11:02 PM

Now I will pose you guys with this question.

Do you think that Their is a Certain Height that you can be above a Whitetails nose? A point where you can wear an entire bottle of Old Spice and not have to worry?

Ryan.

907Alaska 09-12-2008 11:40 PM

ORIGINAL: deerslayer223

That stuff is a joke. Why have people have killed deer for many many years before scent-lok came along. I spray down hunt the wind and still kill deer. I'll save my money it's not necessary to have scent-lok to kill deer.
I agree 100%

=Jagermeister= 09-13-2008 12:29 AM

I don't know if it really works or not. How can we really know unless we are conducting scientific studies ourselves?

I don't really have the extra cash laying around to be able to afford a full suit of the stuff anyways, but it can't hurt can it? I mean even if it eliminate some of your scent, isnt that helping?

I spray down before I go out on a hunt....does it really work? I don't know, but its cheap and if it helps a little bit then thats great. Does that mean that I can hunt like atard and disregard the wind? Hell no, but just maybe it might keep me from getting busted one time, or maybe it will help when the thermals switch or the wind swirls...

Anyways, I don't really have a dog in this fight since I don't buy it based on price, but I can't really see where it would hurt your chances in the field.

usa 09-13-2008 02:14 AM

I've told this story before, I came out of the wood's a long way from camp and accepted a ride with a scentloc guy that looked like a ninja, during the ride he had a little gas and forget the scentloc the only thing that helped was an open window lol

lnen#1 09-13-2008 02:42 AM

It's all a gimmick like a lot of other things out there, but for some it's a tremendous confidence booster. I guess that's worth it to some...not to me.

bigtim6656 09-13-2008 06:19 AM

i bet this hits 10 pages. not sure if it works or not but if i bought it and it got me one deer it would be worth it.

mahoningbuck 09-13-2008 07:01 AM

That stuff is OVER RATED...........it is all about percieving you have an advantage. If you wash in scent free UV blockingbrightners clothes wash, shower down with scent free like a doctor getting ready for an operation, put every thing in the truck in a vacume packeted baggie, drive to your spot in your underwear as not to introduce unwanted scent, and get out to spray down right next to exhust of the truck you are good to go.

I know of several guys who feel it is bad to wash their hunting outfits. One in particular who has not washed his clothesin overseven years. He tells me his clothes smell like the outdoors. He reminds me of the kid from Christmas story becuase he has put on 40 over the yearsand his outfit is bursting at the seems. He shot a deer at ten yards last year from the ground with his bow, no blind, and had to set his coffee down. He is not a fan of heights.

I have stood up and pee'd right off my stand, spit Copenhagen on the ground for hours and had deer come right up and smelled it, it seemed as if they were attracted to it. I fart whenever I need to fart because if I dont I feel like I am going fill up and float right off my stand.

In my mind the greatest single thing to remaining undetected is............THE WIND! Is it in your favor for those two minutes that deer is in range ragardless if yousmell like a truck stop hooker? Not that I know what a truck stop hooker smells like but I work in a prisonso I can only imagine what they smell like jumping from cab to cab. :D

twildasin 09-13-2008 08:05 AM

Mine is 3 years old and still works good. I tets it every year with a bottle of pine sol cleaner! I dry it and open the bottle which is super strong hold a piece of the clothing up to the opening and sure enough I can not smeel anything! Works for me! And even if you think it does not work it's still very nice clothing! It never hurts to try to eliminate as much odor as possible!;)

Deleted User 09-13-2008 10:28 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

my7pointmonster 09-13-2008 10:34 AM

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Hey, its just another scent REDUCING tool, available to us.

I wouldnt even think about hunting if I didnt have my scent blocker gear.

I use shower, deodorant, sprays, scent blocker, scent blcoker transport bags, scent blocker boot gaiters- you name it, I've spared no expense and I cant recall getting winded since.
I have a freind who sits in his treestand smokes cigarettes like their going out of style and drinks 2 thermos' of coffee a day. And he's never had a deer bust him. I've seen it happen i was 70 yards away last year watching him through Bino's while deer are wandering all around the base of his tree.

Ryan.

nodog 09-13-2008 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

Ryan.
Good observation!

loganw 09-13-2008 11:01 AM

I agee that carbon suits get worn out quickly. I havetried the shower, spray,suit, etc. and have still gotten winded. I was just looking in my Bowhunters World magazine and saw that Dead Down Wind now makes a product that is supposed to clean the garment and the carbon itself. I guess it's worth a try.

TEmbry 09-13-2008 11:15 AM

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

I wouldnt even think about hunting if I didnt have my scent blocker gear.
:eek:....Somehow...I doubt this.[&:][8D]