Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 CHIGGGGGEEEERRRRSSSS!!!!! >

CHIGGGGGEEEERRRRSSSS!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

CHIGGGGGEEEERRRRSSSS!!!!!

Old 09-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CHIGGGGGEEEERRRRSSSS!!!!!

Yeh I just looked them up on the internet and the bath and polish are all old wise tails. Once they bite it is only cream that can help the itch.. You guys are right no digging into the skin and no bug in there, they said why polish oftens works is it just takes the itch away.. Walt
Old 09-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, though they don't "burrow", they do attach to the skin and feed. A good bath right after you are out in the woods will wash them off and keep them from continuing to feed.Once the itching starts,scratchingwill usually knock them off, but the itching may not start for 12 - 24 hours after they startfeeding. The best treatments are OTC anti-itch creams or oral Benadryl. In severe cases, a prescription steriod cream may be used.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:34 AM

yeah there's this other stuff called duranon, you spray it on your cloths and let it dry for at least 24 hours. it works so good, it's likeit was made byGOD!i've only seen it in north carolina though. i read that they don't stay in u. and that only soap and water helps. the nailpolish just keeps you beautiful!lol i tried it too, until i looked on the internet.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:36 AM

oh yeah i also read that it's their venom they, don't attach to you. i swear look it up. i thought so too!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TOFARSOUTH

yeah there's this other stuff called duranon, you spray it on your cloths and let it dry for at least 24 hours. it works so good, it's likeit was made byGOD!i've only seen it in north carolina though. i read that they don't stay in u. and that only soap and water helps. the nailpolish just keeps you beautiful!lol i tried it too, until i looked on the internet.
I use duranon and it is good stuff!!! I buy it at the pro shop I go to on the eastern shore of maryland. The seed ticks die as soon as they hit your pants and the chiggers leave ya alone too.Crazy stuff, just dont get it on you.....
Old 09-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mcouey

I treat my fall hunting duds with Repel Permanone spray. I have no troubles from chiggers or ticks.
I have used this stuff. you get it at walmart and i swear by it. I hunt in NC so bow season is like mid 80's and all i wear is a leaf suit. i spray it down 24 hours prior and have yet to get a chigger or tick.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will tell you the best thing to do once you get chiggers...get a hotttt shower then rub jock-itch cream or a womans product cream onto the chigger bites....takes the itch right out! Trust me gentlemen...I had the WORST chigger bites ever this summer....hundreds of massive swollen bumps on my rear from sitting down while fishing.....HURTIIIIIIIIIIING!!!!!
Old 09-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is actually the chigger larva that cause so much discomfort.And by the time they start itching,they are gone.

The bleach bath might help if you get in the tub as soon as you get home and clean them off before they do their damage.

Finger nail polish does help relieve some of the itch,basically becaus eit covers the area and protects it from anything ittitating the area.They even make otc anti itch stuff that goes on just like finger nail polish but has some anti itch medicine in it.

That is why your friend was able to get a shot to help,because it is an allergic reaction,a shot wouldn't help against a bug.

I usually just take a Benadryl.

They are extremely bad this year and Permanone (Duranon is the best I have found)spray goes a long way in keeping them off of you.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here, check this out for good chigger info.

http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/arthopo/chiggers/
Old 09-14-2008, 07:47 PM

I'm from Missouri and have had on more than one occasion chiggers so bad that I couldn't sleep. Once I made the mistake of laying down in tall grass while waiting for my ride home from camp. BAD IDEA! There wasn't an inch of my body missing the notorious bumps chiggers leave behind.

The best prevention really does seem to be taking a warm shower immediately after getting home. I haven't had the ring of fire since I started taking showers after hiking and fishing through tall grass.

If you're unlucky enough to have the ring of fire, a hot oatmeal bath really seems to help (something like Aveeno). When you get chiggers really bad, it's the only thing that seems to cover everything well enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.