Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting after days of rain >

Hunting after days of rain

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting after days of rain

Old 09-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hunting after days of rain

What are everyone's thoughts about hunting after days of rain? It's supposed to rain Fri, Sat, Sun here. Monday is the opener. I seem to remember hearing in the past that this was a good time. That the rain keeps them bedded down because they can't hear predators approaching. The cloud cover would, to a degree eliminate feeding by moonlight (right?). So am I looking at a good time on the opener? Bad time? A time like any other?

I'm in St. Louis, Missouri, by the way. Will be hunting in this general area.

Another piece of good news (i think) is that while we've definitely been on a cooling trend in general, the weather will get a bit hotter of the weekend and then dips just before the opener.

So, going just on the weather, what are us St. Louisans in for?
Old 09-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting after days of rain

i say hunt it... because yea they stay down in the rain cause of bad hearin and sight.... also you wont make near as much noise when everythings wet.... oh and duh its opening day
Old 09-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Typical Buck

oh... there's not question I'll be hunting!

I'm just trying to get myself in the right frame of mind and set my expectations!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

well in the past in MS ive always had good luck after long rain spells.... like i said if ur stalkin or even stand huntin they cant really hear u.... however be careful if ur stand huntin cause if they come the way u did ur scent will stick to the ground better.... but yea i think n the past 2 yrs ive gotten 3 does and a 8 pt after long rains
Old 09-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

by all means go hunting. you cant kill him if your sitting at home thats for sure. here in arkansas after days of hard rain, deer really move good. but if its been hot and dry and a rain comes,deer seem to move alot then to. i got hunting no matter the weather. i have 2 box blinds to hunt out of if its raining really hard.