Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 steel head broadheads >

steel head broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

steel head broadheads

Old 09-09-2008, 08:57 PM
ogg
Fork Horn

Default steel head broadheads

Has anyone used these before?seen them at walmart and was thinking about givin them a try.Some of the reviews at bass pro shop made me weary of them though.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: steel head broadheads

As long as you understand some of the enharent weaknesses of jack knife style mechanical broadheads, the steel heads are on of the betters ones out there. They are tough, fly well, and penetrate deep. I keep one steelhead tiped arrow in my quiver for real windy days etc.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll tell yuh Jim that the 100gr steelheads have worked for me thru alot of deer over the years with no problems at all. Never had a failure and they have zipped thru every deer hit properly. The company is now owned by Trophy Ridge and marketed at Wally-World so I don't know if they cut back on quality. Bands can be a pain in the neck if you practice alot but I just use small o-rings.

They are a crutch for having a poorly tuned bow and a real man would most likely use a fixed blade but until I use the handful of freshies I still have they will have to do.

I feel confident using them but if my arrows ever stop fishtailing on their way to the target I can grow up/man up and shoot fixed.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:33 AM

I've used them for a long time. Killed lots of animals. Never a deer, but lots of other stuff. Like dirt, tree limbs, a bush here and there. Great broadhead.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot strykers now but I've killedaround 20whitetails and 3 bears with steelhead 100's.

I always got pass-throughs with them...one of the better heads on the market IMO.

I also shot a few at some severely quartering away angles with no problems with deflections.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't like them. This summer, I was hunting garter snakes with Snake Mountain Outfitters in southeastern West Virginia, and I hit two record book-caliber snakes in the vitals, and recovered neither.I really felt bad, b/c those broadheads put both me and my guide at risk of a deadly venomous attack. We both could've been killed.

You'd better believe that the next time I'm out hunting dangerous game, I'm going with a different head.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

I didn't like them. This summer, I was hunting garter snakes with Snake Mountain Outfitters in southeastern West Virginia, and I hit two record book-caliber snakes in the vitals, and recovered neither.I really felt bad, b/c those broadheads put both me and my guide at risk of a deadly venomous attack. We both could've been killed.

You'd better believe that the next time I'm out hunting dangerous game, I'm going with a different head.

You must have an aweful lot of time to waste creating posts like that.