Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you turn him in? Poaching Oriented. >

Would you turn him in? Poaching Oriented.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you turn him in? Poaching Oriented.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would you turn him in? Poaching Oriented.

I honestly find it hard to believe you even have to ask . I'm with Rob on this,why the hell poaching is so accepted in this state is beyond me.
PM their names I'll turn them in, not only that if I knew who they were they'd most likely stumble into an ass whooping to go with it.[:@]
Old 09-10-2008, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

How did your parents bring you up, you should be able to make the right decision![>:]
Let me ask you this, can the rest of PA start hunting like this, as you have given these guys a get out of jail free card???
It would probably wipe out the deer population - hah?
Your opening yourself up for a typing frenzy of disgust here, so I'll just stop and let everyone else continue...

Absolutely YES, but this shouldn't be a question, because it's a foolish ponder, period.
Do the right thing otherwise your part of this ponder.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

To each its own, what comes around goes around, theyll all get what is coming to them. You could always call in an annonumys tip.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I knew I shouldn’t have read this. Bust all their flipping asses. Poaching to “feed your family” is the lamest cop out that sadly so many people still buy into these days.
Rob summed it up well, the whole damn thing is pathetic, and it happens every year here in this “wonderful” state. I’ve always thought that just as many illegal deer get taken each season as legal deer. And with all the bitching and complaining about no deer in this state, people will continue to let outlaws like this get away with it!

PATHETIC!
Old 09-10-2008, 06:23 AM

Look just because he is your friend soesn't make it ok to take deer the way that he is. I don't care who it is. I would first try to tell him that it's wrong, but if he continues then you really have no choice.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:52 AM
Dominant Buck

If I honestly had to "poach" in order to feed my family I would do it and not think twice about it and if I knew that someone else was truthfully doing the same I wouldn't give it a second thought. Having said this, unless he is literally hunting in his back yardwithold equipmentit is far cheaper to buy beef from the store than it is to hunt. If he is out there with a new bow, or rifle, camo clothing, etc...I'd have to question his "need" to poach.
You damned right I'd do it....and I wouldn't care if it was November or June if my family was truly hungry. I can't think of too many things I wouldn't do.

That being said.....I'm betting these stories (REAL ONES) of people poaching to feed their families are very over-exaggerated.

For the business partner....I'd sit him down and ask him this question...."If I can get a few folks to donate their deer to you.....would you ONLY shoot your legal limit"? His answer and actions, thereafter, would determine if I turned him in or not. The others....YOU DAMNED RIGHT I'd turn them in. I did it, last year. I'll do it every time.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: byg

Have you told your buddy how ya feel about there activity,maybe give him the heads up you might report it and let him decide if its worth getting caught..Dont know how it would effect your relationship w/ the others but at least your partner couldweight out hisoptions...plus if you are actually hunting with them during this you might get chargedw/poaching just being there. Just a thought
Good Luck
I havent given that any thought, I prolly could talk to him more directly about it but I would never reveal myself as going to turn them in, I do realize, that the other 4 of the 5 are really really bad. And yes, My friend is just scraping to get by. I have to see what goes down in Archery season, but I dont know really.

Thanks for all the posts though I appreciate it and I will take it all in before I decide on what to do.

Ryan.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:51 AM

People like this ruin the honest man's hunt. I just read a few articles on similar situations. It's an addiction for these people. Despite losing a license for his life and being fined thousands of dollars one gentlemen in PA still poaches. I think jailtime is the only thing that will fix this mentality.

As for your friend, it doesn't matter. So he's had hard luck, we all do. Go collect welfare and eat bread all day. Sob, he gets to eat steak all year. Yeah, hard life. I'd turn all of them in to the authorities.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:55 AM

ORIGINAL: *JB*

This is just my opinion. But if they are not poaching on your land, then I say mind your own business. It would kind of be like standing at the door of the bar and watching people have a few beers and go get in their car, and then you call the cops and turn them in for drunk driving. Should these poachers be caught, SURE, should everyone who drinks and drives be caught, SURE. But there are people out there who are paid to catch these people. It is not our job to go out and report every crime we see take place. I have known(and still know) people who poach all the time. But they don't do it on my land and someday they may get caught. But it's not my place to make sure they get caught. Once again, these are just my opinions, but I wouldn't turn anyone in, especially not someone I consider a friend.
Ever here of being a good samaritan?

Your comment about doing it on your land is disturbing. Since you feel it doesn't affect you it's ok to shoot deer illegally? Double standard?

Old 09-10-2008, 09:19 AM

[/quote]
I do realize, that the other 4 of the 5 are really really bad. And yes, My friend is just scraping to get by.
[/quote]

Your friend/business partner is barely scrapping by, yet your fine. Maybe he needs to rethink his lifestyle or get a second or third job and not break the law!

Quick Reply: Would you turn him in? Poaching Oriented.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.