Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I got busted today! >

I got busted today!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I got busted today!

Old 09-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default I got busted today!

I went into my honeyhole to put a camera on a different trail, and since I was there I climbed my sticks and tightened the straps, and eventually made it to my stand. I decided to sit for a while and see what kind of action I might catch. It was early evening, around 7pm so I put a pinch of Kodiak in my mouth and sat and watched. All of a sudden a nice 4x5 walked within 15 yrds of my tree with a 3x3 on his heels. The bigger buck went traight to the scrape and was doing his thing when the smaller one let out the loudest snort I have yet to hear. They didnt see me but they were down wind from me and caught my scent. Both of them put their tails up and ran about 30 yards and stopped for some acorns. The looked all around and could not see me...at least I dont think so. It was getting darker and darker and I left my flashlight in the truck so I had to get down and start the trek back. As I was climbing down, the smaller buck busted me and both of them gave me their middle finger and hauled butt out of there.

Im wondering if they have a good memory, and will avoid the area after seeing me. I sure hope not because the 4x5 was definately a shooter buck, and my stand is pretty much there for the season.

I still have until the 4th of October, and am not going back in until then. Whats the odds of them remembering where my stand is and avoiding the trails?
Old 09-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I got busted today!

Im wondering if they have a good memory, and will avoid the area after seeing me.
Very likely though not definite. You didn't do yourself any favors by getting busted.

The saying goes, the first time you sit in a stand is your best opportunity. The odds go down from that day forward. You leave scent all over, even after you leave. You might want to consider moving your stand towards the direction they came from.

Best of luck.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:39 PM

nahh youl be alrite by ocy 4th.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

If that were me, I'd go back there. October 4th is a ways away and without any pressure til then I'm sure they'd go back to it. I mean,would they evercross a road again if they seen a vehicle?
Old 09-09-2008, 08:42 PM

yeah last year i missed a 6 pt on a nightwatch and the next night he came back and i got him.

you never know
Old 09-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Shawn Perkins

yeah last year i missed a 6 pt on a nightwatch and the next night he came back and i got him.

you never know
Huge difference in a 1.5 year old and the caliber bucks he seems to be talking about Shawn.

Chances are, it may be find but he didn't do himself any favors by getting busted already.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

That really sucks, I'd stay out of there until season start.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Dominant Buck

They tell you(who ever they are) that the best chance of killing a big buck is the first time you sit in a stand. I guess they're right, too bad the season wasn't open. LOL You messed up with your sight seeing sunshine.[:'(]
Old 09-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: Shawn Perkins

you never know
Huge difference in a 1.5 year old and the caliber bucks he seems to be talking about Shawn.

Chances are, it may be find but he didn't do himself any favors by getting busted already.
You are correct Rob about the larger buck. He was definately 4-5 yrs old and his partner was 2 at the most. I kept telling myself to just get the camera up and leave, but on the way in I thought since I was there I would make sure all my straps were tight on my climbing sticks. Last year a few loosened up a bit and made for a noisy climb up.

That stand is one of 4 that I have been contemplating on hunting opening day. I will probably do a morning hunt there to see what is happening, and then maybe an evening hunt a few days later to see if they are still using the trails along the creek where they cross. Anyway, thanks for the input guys.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know better than that.

Quick Reply: I got busted today!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.