Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Field Point vs. Broadhead flight/grouping problem >

Field Point vs. Broadhead flight/grouping problem

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Field Point vs. Broadhead flight/grouping problem

Old 09-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Field Point vs. Broadhead flight/grouping problem

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Yes Bruce that was me---I mean I don't like to get caught up debating over "ethical" arrow weight and all ad naseum--it just gets old. What never gets old is talking about how to get my groups tighter. I believe I am shooting around #65 and shooting 400 Bemans. Thanks for any help all.

Kodiak--once every 4-5 shots probably--cant figure it out....I do grip my bow a little tighter than most.
If it is once every 4-5 shots it could be grip, as stated, or it could be that one arrow. Mark your arrows with some numbers, dots, lines, or something to distinguish each one and then you will know if it is the same arrow evrytime or a different arrow. It it is a different arrow each time then it could be grip. I still think your arrows may be a little weak spined for even 65#. What bow do you shoot?
Old 09-09-2008, 10:54 PM
Fork Horn

I had the very same problem. My Muzzy's weren't flying like my field points. With the season being this close, I decided to pick up some 2 blade Rage's. They flew just like my field points. I'll go with the Rage's this year, and really work on my bow next year to make sure everything is tuned up well. I just don't want to mess around with my setup this close to the beginning of the season. My guess is that you are having the same problem I was.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bruce:

"If it is once every 4-5 shots it could be grip, as stated, or it could be that one arrow. Mark your arrows with some numbers, dots, lines, or something to distinguish each one and then you will know if it is the same arrow evrytime or a different arrow. It it is a different arrow each time then it could be grip. I still think your arrows may be a little weak spined for even 65#. What bow do you shoot? "

What spine would you recommend for me? I shoot a Reflex Excursion 2004. I just played around and put on some heavier broadheads today and shot....and they seemed to group tighter and not have the side to side inconsistency. Maybe it was just a placebo effect, not sure. Refletched a bunch of my arrows tonight and gonna get back at it tomorrow.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:36 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks. Until I saw your second post, I was not sure if you were answering to my problem or the HIJACK.

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

Could be a few things changed in your rig from last year such as cam timing and poundage due to cable/string wear. If they are a new type broadhead they could effect the balance of the shaft differently. For the situation you describe, tuning my RH bow, I would very slightly (.050" or so at a time) move the rest to the right (in toward the bow) until they start grouping together.Very small changes will move the broadhead groups more than they move the fieldpoint groups and at some point they should impact very close to the same point. In addition, your groups should tighten up as you get things more finetuned.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a similar issue with my Muzzy Mx4s on my carbons, I talked to my proshop and Mike said its a plaining issue. You need to sight your bow in for the broadheads or use a mechanical style head. Mine arent drifint left or right but dropping 3-4 inches. I can bring my sight down and whala. You may have to move your rest or sight, which ever you prefer to get the accuracy needed to improve on the plaining. This is common with some arrow and broadhead combinations. if youre looking to go wiht a mechanical Mike recomended the Rage SlipCam. I may try them out even though im not a fan of mechanical heads.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Navy--sorry for the HIJACK. I didn't mean to do it all. I was just caught up with what I was doing yesterday and it was important. Sometimes on my threads, people start similar discussions to what I am asking and it seems to help me gain a better understanding. That being said, sorry about the hijack.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:27 AM

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

I have a similar issue with my Muzzy Mx4s on my carbons, I talked to my proshop and Mike said its a plaining issue. You need to sight your bow in for the broadheads or use a mechanical style head.
Absoluely not!Nothing personal wis-b-h, but if a broadhead tipped arrow is planing, then you have a tuning issue that needs to be corrected correctly. Moving a sight is not the answer, and just throwing on a mechanical is not either.I just cannot express enough the importance of a straight flying arrow when it comes to hunting. You are cheating yourself and the animal you hunt ifyou hunt with anything less.

In fact, there is a thread floating around here about why be anti-mechanical, and that right there is why I am anti-mechanical, because too many hunters throw on a mechanical instead of tuning their bow for good arrow flight.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:29 AM

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

Could be a few things changed in your rig from last year such as cam timing and poundage due to cable/string wear. If they are a new type broadhead they could effect the balance of the shaft differently. For the situation you describe, tuning my RH bow, I would very slightly (.050" or so at a time) move the rest to the right (in toward the bow) until they start grouping together.Very small changes will move the broadhead groups more than they move the fieldpoint groups and at some point they should impact very close to the same point. In addition, your groups should tighten up as you get things more finetuned.
Agree.Make sure each head spins on the arrow perfectly. Also, make sure your fletchings are fletched helical or at least straight offset. Straight fletch is going to give you some fits.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Bruce:

"If it is once every 4-5 shots it could be grip, as stated, or it could be that one arrow. Mark your arrows with some numbers, dots, lines, or something to distinguish each one and then you will know if it is the same arrow evrytime or a different arrow. It it is a different arrow each time then it could be grip. I still think your arrows may be a little weak spined for even 65#. What bow do you shoot? "

What spine would you recommend for me? I shoot a Reflex Excursion 2004. I just played around and put on some heavier broadheads today and shot....and they seemed to group tighter and not have the side to side inconsistency. Maybe it was just a placebo effect, not sure. Refletched a bunch of my arrows tonight and gonna get back at it tomorrow.
I ran your data and apparently I was wrong about it being weak. Anyway, I would say the heavier tip gives you a better FOC and that is helping your groups. If you can keep the heavier tip on there that would probably be a good idea.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RobinAim Low

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

I have a similar issue with my Muzzy Mx4s on my carbons, I talked to my proshop and Mike said its a plaining issue. You need to sight your bow in for the broadheads or use a mechanical style head.
Absoluely not!Nothing personal wis-b-h, but if a broadhead tipped arrow is planing, then you have a tuning issue that needs to be corrected correctly. Moving a sight is not the answer, and just throwing on a mechanical is not either.I just cannot express enough the importance of a straight flying arrow when it comes to hunting. You are cheating yourself and the animal you hunt ifyou hunt with anything less.

In fact, there is a thread floating around here about why be anti-mechanical, and that right there is why I am anti-mechanical, because too many hunters throw on a mechanical instead of tuning their bow for good arrow flight.
ORIGINAL: ScottF2345

I had the very same problem. My Muzzy's weren't flying like my field points. With the season being this close, I decided to pick up some 2 blade Rage's. They flew just like my field points. I'll go with the Rage's this year, and really work on my bow next year to make sure everything is tuned up well. I just don't want to mess around with my setup this close to the beginning of the season. My guess is that you are having the same problem I was.
It can take less than an hour to tune a bow to shoot properly and it would have zero effect on your season even if you did this the day before.

Quick Reply: Field Point vs. Broadhead flight/grouping problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.