HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Standing vs. sitting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/262070-standing-vs-sitting.html)

DowningAir 09-08-2008 12:37 PM

Standing vs. sitting

A friend of mine swears by sittingdown inthe stand while shooting. He practices standing and sitting about 50-50. He likes it because you don't have to worry about noise, movement, ect.. I've never done it just because it's never felt that comfortable to me.

Whoout there does what? What are some of the pros and cons that you have found with both?

Austin/WI 09-08-2008 12:40 PM

RE: Standing vs. sitting

Depends for me. I do a lot of ground hunting so sometimes everything has to be from the seat. In stand it depends on the tree, If I don't have a lot of cover around me for whatever reason I'll likely be sitting most of the time and plan on standing when the critter's view is blocked.

early in 09-08-2008 12:41 PM

I have killed deer, both sitting and standing.When making a shot from the sitting position, it all but forces you to bend at the waist.;)

cooter144 09-08-2008 12:41 PM

I probably shoot from a sitting position 90% of the time and always position my stand in a way that will allow me to do so.

If needed I stand for the shot.

GMMAT 09-08-2008 12:52 PM

I've never killed one sitting down....but I hope to this year. I KNOW I move less when I'm sitting v. standing.....but I've never (to my knowledge) been busted trying to get to a standing position to shoot.

Ben / PA 09-08-2008 12:55 PM

I usually try to stand as much as possible. In the evening hunts, which is when I get to hunt the most, the last hour of light is standing no matter what.

TexasBowHunter 09-08-2008 01:46 PM

95% of the 50+ animals I have taken have been sitting in the stand. Ihave always felt likeit is less movement when the time comes to get the shot. I also have stands that allow for this, they are designed to be hunted this way. I have a couple of the lightweight jobbies that don't swivel (with the small seat)and I have had to stand a couple of times using them as a shot sitting was not possible.

NCRemington700 09-08-2008 01:48 PM

ORIGINAL: cooter144

I probably shoot from a sitting position 90% of the time and always position my stand in a way that will allow me to do so.

If needed I stand for the shot.
Ditto for me.

ABarOfSoap 09-08-2008 01:58 PM

If im sitting it means the action is dead.

MOhunter46 09-08-2008 03:04 PM

I usually stand to shoot. I really don't feel comfortable shooting while i'msitting down.