Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Greg Ritz said

Old 09-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Greg Ritz said

I either heard on a tv show or read in a magazine that Greg Ritz said that "muzzleloading was a mixture of bowhunting and rifle hunting... " something like that I think.

Do you agree?

When I first heard this I thought no way, but after I gave it some thought they are vaguely similar yet drastically different. One shot? Yes. "Primitave" weapon? Yes. Attention to detail? Sure. Equipment upkeep? Deffinitely.

Thoughts on this?
Old 09-08-2008, 08:28 AM

Default RE: Greg Ritz said

Apples and Oranges

Two different beasts. I have a hard time calling anything "primitive" that has the ability to shoot out to 250yds as many of these new muzzies have. I'm a bit of a traditionalist as well that says if you have a muzzleloader there shouldn't be a scope, JMHO.

Not to mention there is a HUGE difference between getting within 80-100yds of a deer and closing the distance to 35 yds or under. Like I said, Apples to Oranges
Old 09-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with your reference to primitive.. thats why I put it in quotes. I also agree with the difference between effective ranges. You're right it IS apples and oranges.. but are apples and oranges both not ffruit? I believe the same can be applied here, they are drastically different like I said, but once you give it some thought they pose some acute similarites as well.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Muzzleloading USED TO BE. Now, with his muzzes, you can get to 200 yards easily, sorry dude, no longer even close. With a flintlock and round ball, the ranges between archery and muzz are not much different, but witha TC Pro-Hunter, you basically have a rifle with no cartridge.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Take away the instant firing loads the modernML now uses.....and the scopes....and we're getting "closer" to being "comparable". I hear people talk about iron sights and flintlocks and a 60yd shot being the top end.....and I can somewhat relate to them.

The modern ML "comparable" to bowhunting, though? No way.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Take away the instant firing loads the modernML now uses.....and the scopes....and we're getting "closer" to being "comparable". I hear people talk about iron sights and flintlocks and a 60yd shot being the top end.....and I can somewhat relate to them.

Ah yes, but is the modern bow equivalent in its own right to the modern muzzleloader? I think so.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Primitave" weapon? Yes.
What kind of Muzzle Loader are you talking about? The one's that I see around here will outshoot any shotgun.

The old pumkin shooters, maybe.....
Old 09-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RockinChair

Ah yes, but is the modern bow equivalent in its own right to the modern muzzleloader? I think so.
Definitely not even close IMO. The modern bow is certainly a marvel in technology, but the effective range has not really increased that much over "old" bows.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: YooperMike

ORIGINAL: RockinChair

Definitely not even close IMO. The modern bow is certainly a marvel in technology, but the effective range has not really increased that much over "old" bows.
x2 Most bowhunters will probably never shoot past 50-55yds at a deer - even with the most technologically advanced bows on the market. This still doesn't compare to even Civil War era muzzleloaders that had effective killing rangesupwards of200 yds. (And if you don't believe me on this one, just do a little research )
Old 09-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

He works for T/C, he's just pushing product...

When I put down my bow, I pick up a hand made .54 caliber flintlock, shooting .530 patched balls...I can put them in an inch and a half group at
50 yards and have killed deer out to 125 yards...A properly tuned flintlock is light years ahead of a bow...

With an inline there is even more difference...

Quick Reply: Greg Ritz said

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.