Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Unloading your quiver >

Unloading your quiver

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Unloading your quiver

Old 09-08-2008, 06:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Unloading your quiver

Is there anyone who can give me a valid reason NOT to unload your quiver on a spine shot deer?

I'm assuming the deer is still moving after the initial shot.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:16 AM

Default RE: Unloading your quiver

Nope. I emptied mine on one last year. First of all, not KNOWING it was a spine shot, I didn't want him to regain his composure and break out of there. And, if it was a spine shot, there was NO WAY I was gonna sit there for however long and watch that deer die. So I put 2 more into his lungs, and it was over soon enough. In retrospect..........I would empty it again.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:22 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm not proud of this Mo.....but I've spined 3 deer in my days. I've shot 2 of them 3 times each,and one of them 4 times (hitting it 3 times.....with the last being from 50yds in the belly). I just see so many guys/gals on TV spine one and put their bow back on the hook while it lies there. Makes me sick.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:25 AM
Bartender

I spined one back in 1994 and had to take 1 more shot.(Doe)
I was up about 22 feet and that angle down I pulled up on the shot.
It was about 7 yards out from the tree.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

Unloading your quiver - I think that's what your supposed to do,that's about the only choice.

I spine shot a doe but she had enough movement left to get behind a tree and it was getting dark fast. I sent my remaining three arrows her way but couldn't connect so I climbed down, walkedover and finished the deal with my knife.That was my last resort but I did what I had todo.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would unload my quiver. This is pretty much the same as your dispatching thread.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I practically unloaded mine on my 06 buck. I was unaware that I had to however, first shot, it dropped and was kicking, second shot was in the chest, third shot was in the chest and it never got up once and I wanted to dispatch it quickly. The first shot however was lungs and it hit the opposite shoulder knocking the deer off his feet. We owe it to the game we hunt and to ourselves to unload the quiver if necessary. Even if we have on arrow in the animal, if a second shot presents itself, take it!
Old 09-08-2008, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hit one in the spine last year, she dropped like a rock and layed there looking at me..
I put another arrow through the vitals and within probably 20 sec or so she was done..
Old 09-08-2008, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't unload my quiver into a spine shot deer, but I would put 1 more arrow thru the lungs, thats all it would take to kill it!
Old 09-08-2008, 06:56 AM
Dominant Buck

I wouldn't unload my quiver into a spine shot deer, but I would put 1 more arrow thru the lungs, thats all it would take to kill it!
You're missing the point. Rarely (as in never.....in my circumstances) will you have an unencumbered, "sure-thing" shot at the vitals. In this case.....I feel like it's MORE ethical to throw caution to the wind and shoot anyways. A vitals follow up is "ideal" but ANY arrow hitting the deer is better than one NOT sent.

Quick Reply: Unloading your quiver

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.