Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Got the shakes this morning..shooting at a target >

Got the shakes this morning..shooting at a target

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got the shakes this morning..shooting at a target

Old 09-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Got the shakes this morning..shooting at a target

Yep that's right..
The only time I had an opportunity to shoot my bow was at a little hog under my tree..He stood for 45 seconds..and I couldn't get past the 45 degree lock in my legs..and my knees were shaking..I had no strenghth to pull the bow back..this was 2 years ago.

Ok..this morning I put my Summit in a pine tree and measured off 20 yds ..I shot nice groups on the ground and then with my Bullet Backpacker Summit climbed about 10 foot up..This was at a friend's house so I didn't trim his tree to go higher..{ In advance I 'll tell you guys I'm afraid of heights past 15 foot}

As I stood..I noticed the shakes starting ...and possibly for these reasons..
a. I am concerned about those razor blade Steelforce broadheads coming back so close..
B..THE BIG ONE...the only rest that works nicely with my old bow..is scary..the arrow can easily fall off the fingers..so I'm always concerned about that.
c. Being afraid of heights I get a little shaky standing with both hands on my bow..
my first 2 arrows were off...by 6inches..and then I tol dmyself to straighten up and settle down..and the next was a bull's eye..
Our season starts in 2 Sat, so I plan to shoot from the stand a few more times to get used to it..I'll ask them if I can leave it locked up everyday for the next 2 weeks..My school I teach at is only 1 mile away so I could drive by every afternnoon and take a few shots from above until I settle my chicken self down.

PS I found this home by putting up an ad on Craig's List..wanted a place to hunt hogs..They responded and have given me a key to their property for no charge..just real nice people..I can hunt hogs and target practice with gun or bow all I wish..God is good.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Got the shakes this morning..shooting at a target

I think we can all relate to how shaky we were at first on a platforn.....drawing our bows. I can only tell you that it gets better.....and pretty quickly (it did, for me).

One thing you may want to try (and I sincerely hope you'r eusing a harness)......is to cinch your harness up to the point to where it's taut (tight) while you're sitting. That should give you the confidence when you stand.....that even if something bad happened and you lost your footing.....it would probably grab you before you even could fall off the platform.

Peace of mind breeds confidence.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

practice practice practice, as you shoot more from a stand you gain confidence in your ability to stand and maneuver while still holding both hands on the bow
Old 09-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I think we can all relate to how shaky we were at first on a platforn.....drawing our bows. I can only tell you that it gets better.....and pretty quickly (it did, for me).
Thanks man...I thought it was only me..

One thing you may want to try (and I sincerely hope you'r eusing a harness)......is to cinch your harness up to the point to where it's taut (tight) while you're sitting.I am wearing a harness..but not tight like you suggested..I will follow your advice. That should give you the confidence when you stand.....that even if something bad happened and you lost your footing.....it would probably grab you before you even could fall off the platform.

Peace of mind breeds confidence.
Best advice yet..I know that BUT need to be reminded daily.
Appreciate the feedback..I will follow all of your directions..it makes sense.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

I would say continue to practice at an elevated height, set the stand at whatever height is comfortable to you. You don't need to be 25ft up. Have you ever looked into a ladder stand. My uncle is afraid of heights and could never go high up ina tree, he then started using a 15' ladder and says the height doesn't bother him at all.

I would then look for a selfcontainment arrow rest ie: whisker biscuit. It sounds like your rest malfunctioning is in the back of your mind.

Good Luck.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Dominant Buck

DRock is giving you great advice. You need to have 100% confidence in your equipment. Think about a full containment rest and get it set up ASAP if you have time before the opener. You can go as inexpensively as the Shisker Biscuit (around $50) up to a full containment drop away (as low as $70 up to $130 or so).

Good luck.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Dominant Buck

I wish I could,,I think they only make Whisker Biscuits for off set bow windows..mine is the old Standard window..this is the best rest out there that keeps the fletchings free..but the bow man told me they take some gettgin used to because the down sides the arrow can slip off if your not used to them..

Here's the rest..and my 100.00 ..Balckgold Skylight Site..

Old 09-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

You got me there Chuck...What kind of bow is that? Maybe someone else has a suggestion for a rest with that narrow window.

Wish I could help you bud.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Dominant Buck

I'll tell ya what..this will be my last season with this ole bow..I just depleated my piggy bank by buying a D 28 HD Martin Guitar last week..

My next nice item..a decent bow with a Whisker Biscuit on it..I want a nice one.I'll go to a bow shop as Rob suggested and get one fitted..Merry Christmas..at income tax time.
When the time draws nigh I'll be letting you guys help me in choosing the best one..

Oh,,the bow is an old Dartin Trailmaster[8D] shoots surprizing good though..goes up to 65 pound pull..I shoot terminator 6075 carbons..with 100 grain steelforce sabertooths