HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   To pee or not to pee? That is the question. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/261472-pee-not-pee-question.html)

steelslinger 09-05-2008 04:40 AM

To pee or not to pee? That is the question.

I have heard that a deer in its travel path will run across so many different types of urine smells, that it is not a dealbreaker to pee from your stand instead of carring a bottle. Any input?

bowhunter1984 09-05-2008 04:46 AM

RE: To pee or not to pee? That is the question.

i do it all the time and have never had a prob with deer comeing in it wont hurt a thing just dont get cought with your pants down lol had a big doe bust me last year with my pecker out taking a pee

Carpmaster 09-05-2008 05:00 AM

I have never seen a negative impact from it....there was a local show in MI that did a study on doe pee vs buck pee vs human pee a few years ago and the results were very comparable as to attraction between the 3 with exception of an estrous doe...

BTBowhunter 09-05-2008 05:03 AM

let it fly!

I've had deer come under my tree and sniff it only minutes after with no negative reactions

sandilands 09-05-2008 05:28 AM

If ya gotta go......... GO!
Really its not that big a deal

Austin/WI 09-05-2008 05:45 AM

Let 'er fly. I've heard way to many instances of deer actually stopping to smell a spot where someone had peed or make a mock scrape with their own urine.

TexasBowHunter 09-05-2008 07:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Austin/WI

Let 'er fly. I've heard way to many instances of deer actually stopping to smell a spot where someone had peed or make a mock scrape with their own urine.

I actually saw a guy do this (mock scrape withhis own urine)on a TV show many years ago, me being new in the archery back then thought this guy was crazy....He shot a nice buck out of that set up, that was the first and only time I have ever seen that tacticused,I have never tried the mock scrape with my own urine, I would hate to think it could ruin a good spot. With that being said, I always clear a spot in the dirt below my stand to spit snuff into and I have literally had deer sniffing that spot underneath me on many occasions and they never have been affected by that....So, maybe it won't hurt a thing....Thats the cool thing about these animals, we will never know everything about them and they are all different, otherwise they might not be as fun to chase;)

DROCK 09-05-2008 07:05 AM

I've always been paranoid of peeing from my stand. I always bring a "pee jug" with me. But it is interesting that so many of you let it "fly". Maybe I won't be so paranoid now, especially when I forget it in the truck, I hate when I do that.[&:]

rustynut 09-05-2008 07:14 AM

This guy didn't know the camara was there, just looked like a good spot to take a wiz. Check out the times, I think that buck was a little curios of the new scent.

robbcayman 09-05-2008 07:25 AM

I don't see why guys take so many measures to be scent free and then pee right under their stand.[&:]

I take a pee canteen!!!

PreacherTony 09-05-2008 07:37 AM

ORIGINAL: rustynut

This guy didn't know the camara was there, just looked like a good spot to take a wiz. Check out the times, I think that buck was a little curios of the new scent.
Awesome proof that your piss carries a scent for a long time ... that post convinces me that my WIDE MOUTHED Gatorade bottle is the way to go :D

Carpmaster 09-05-2008 07:40 AM

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: rustynut

Awesome proof that your piss carries a scent for a long time ... that post convinces me that my WIDE MOUTHED Gatorade bottle is the way to go :D
Is that so you have something in the stand in common with you............the BIG MOUTH!:D;)

NCBloodtrailer 09-05-2008 07:40 AM

I will wait to pee near my stand if i have to pee in the morning...I like to make mock scrapes and piss in them. I have had some very successful hunts doing this. Deer can just tell its urine, cant distinguish that it is human or dangerous.

PreacherTony 09-05-2008 07:44 AM

ORIGINAL: NCBloodtrailer

I will wait to pee near my stand if i have to pee in the morning...I like to make mock scrapes and piss in them. I have had some very successful hunts doing this. Deer can just tell its urine, cant distinguish that it is human or dangerous.
I dunno ... have you guys ever drank alot of coffee and took a leak and it smelled like coffee??? I have ....

quiksilver 09-05-2008 07:47 AM

When I spent a summer with the Blackfeet Indians, one of the older folks told me that the indian hunters used to slather themselves in their own piss to use it as a cover scent to get close to the game without spooking.I was skeptical at first, so I did some research, which revealed thathuman urine smells just like any other animal urine, just without the pheromone complexes, so it jives, scientifically.

Ever since I learned that, I've been dousing my hat with fresh pee before every hunt, and dabbing a healthy shot of it under each armpit and on my face. My logs show a 32% increase in my deer sightings ever since I started doing that. I'd highly recommend it.

Gundeck 09-05-2008 07:50 AM

I would say go for it unless you had asparagus the night before!!

HuntingBry 09-05-2008 07:57 AM

I pee from my tree and while the game camera picture shows the deer smelling the pee, he sure doesn't seem bothered by it. When a deer gets an alarming whiff of me it pops its head up with its ears out, stares for a second and then bolts. It sure doesn't come in to stick its nose in my armpit.

I have a friend who won't pee from a tree when deer hunting, but only started using unscented deoderant in the last 2 years. I don't get it, but the track record up on his wall speaks for itself.

If peeing in a bottle or holding it until your stomach hurts makes you more confident then go for it. Me, I'm confident that my tinkle doesn't hurt my chances one bit.

early in 09-05-2008 08:02 AM

I pissout of my stand when the need arises. Never had any negative results because of it. If a deer is close enough to smell it, he's/she's a dead deer anyway.;)

Finch 09-05-2008 08:12 AM

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

I don't see why guys take so many measures to be scent free and then pee right under their stand.[&:]

I take a pee canteen!!!
Because it doesn't matter.[&:]I pee from my stand multiple times in one sitting and have never seen any ill effects come from it. Also, I have killed several deer from said stands after doing my business.

WVSPORTSMAN 09-05-2008 08:13 AM

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

When I spent a summer with the Blackfeet Indians, one of the older folks told me that the indian hunters used to slather themselves in their own piss to use it as a cover scent to get close to the game without spooking.I was skeptical at first, so I did some research, which revealed thathuman urine smells just like any other animal urine, just without the pheromone complexes, so it jives, scientifically.

Ever since I learned that, I've been dousing my hat with fresh pee before every hunt, and dabbing a healthy shot of it under each armpit and on my face. My logs show a 32% increase in my deer sightings ever since I started doing that. I'd highly recommend it.
are you saying that you pee on yourself?:DI will never want a deer that bad;)

robbcayman 09-05-2008 08:31 AM

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

I take a pee canteen!!!
Because it doesn't matter.[&:]I pee from my stand multiple times in one sitting and have never seen any ill effects come from it. Also, I have killed several deer from said stands after doing my business.
Just because you have killed a deer from your stand after you peed doesn't mean that it works everytime. Maybe the deer had the wind behind him etc..

IMHO, I'm betting that deer can possibly distinguish between human pee. My reasoning is that they smell coon pee, deer pee etc.. and if humans are consuming different thingsour pee is likely to smell differently. I'm basing this all on a hunch.;)

Heck, if you guys really believe this then why take any scent precautions at all? I mean, just pee under you stand and it will mask your scent. I'm not willing to risk a trophy deer on someone's hunch though. However, by not peeing under my stand I don't take a risk at all. Just my 2 cents.

robbcayman 09-05-2008 08:33 AM

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Call me when you want to go snipe hunting. ;)

minnesotadeer 09-05-2008 08:40 AM

I remember reading somewhere a study wildlife biologists did on scrape activity and they tried different types of deer urine, human urine and new car scent and that there wasn't much of a different reaction to any of the above. Maybe someone knows of and can post?

From what I've read, do I think they'll notice it, yes, definitiely. Do I think it will scare them or drive them out, no, not at all. I say let it fly from your treestand.

However, if you don't want to leave any scent and are truly concerned about minimal impact in terms of making the deer feel nothing is different, use the bottle. What I've found is effective is to get those small bisquick pancake mix shakers witih the wide mouth. They are nice because they have a handle on them. Make yourself some pancakes and then rinse out the bottles, bringing one along on the hunt and discarding when you get back home.

cooter144 09-05-2008 08:58 AM

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

I take a pee canteen!!!
Just because you have killed a deer from your stand after you peed doesn't mean that it works everytime. Maybe the deer had the wind behind him etc..

IMHO, I'm betting that deer can possibly distinguish between human pee. My reasoning is that they smell coon pee, deer pee etc.. and if humans are consuming different thingsour pee is likely to smell differently. I'm basing this all on a hunch.;)

Heck, if you guys really believe this then why take any scent precautions at all? I mean, just pee under you stand and it will mask your scent. I'm not willing to risk a trophy deer on someone's hunch though. However, by not peeing under my stand I don't take a risk at all. Just my 2 cents.
The smell of a persons urine doesn't bother deer.

Heck...When asked about it...Mike Waddell admitted (on a archerytalk chat) that he pee's off his stand all the time and has never seen it bother deer. He has been around his share of MATURE deer.

I used to pee in a bottle for many years but I don't anymore.

I know people that have pissed in scapes and bucks came by that same day and worked em over.

fastetti 09-05-2008 10:28 AM

Here's my take on the subject. Human sweat is completely different smell from human urine. The chemical compunds of urine in most mammals is the same. I believe that there is only a fractionally small difference in the makeup of urine between humans and deer. Deer, IMO and what I have read and what has been studied, is that deer cannot smell the difference, the main reason they smell it is because of such a small difference in the chemical makeup, they are trying to figure out what made the urine and whether it was a male or female. I feel it does baffle them a little and makes them quite curious and astounds them, but I wouldn't say they come running in from miles away but also think that it in no ways deters them. The scent you give out from sweat and body odor is a whole different story. The chemical makeup of human odor is very different from deer and they can tell the difference with that immediately. I believe if you "Let it fly" out in the woods, as long as you are not rubbing your hands on a tree when you pee you should be fine. When we contaminate our clothes and such, its with human scent or extremely foreign scents. Deer know this scent because they associate it with us, they see us and have smelled us at the same time. Very rarely doesa deer see me while I'm peeing to associate the smell to humans, besides, with the chemical makeup it will be hard for them already to tell.

This is my opinion, Im not trying to tell anybody what to do, this is just the reasoning I have about not worrying about peeing in the woods. The only problem I have with peeing in a stand is the noise the pee makes when it hits the ground.

dstubb 09-05-2008 10:28 AM

Unless you have once been a deer you never are really going to know for sure. Even you guy's who say that you have seen deer come up to where you urinated and take a sniff can't say that it's ok. What about those mature bucks that you never saw stop in there tracks and pull a u-turn because they caught a whiff of your pee? I figure why risk putting your scent out there when it's so easy to just pack in a piss bottle.

cooter144 09-05-2008 10:39 AM

ORIGINAL: dstubb

Unless you have once been a deer you never are really going to know for sure. Even you guy's who say that you have seen deer come up to where you urinated and take a sniff can't say that it's ok. What about those mature bucks that you never saw stop in there tracks and pull a u-turn because they caught a whiff of your pee? I figure why risk putting your scent out there when it's so easy to just pack in a piss bottle.
Ifa deer is down wind of me I will be in trouble whether I pissed on the ground or not... but due toother odors like sweat...not pee odor.

I have seen and killed mature deer around my tree that I pissed next too...and many other hunters have as well.

AllArmyGuardian 09-05-2008 10:40 AM

I wonder if I bottle my piss, will any of you buy it? ;)

dstubb 09-05-2008 10:54 AM

I just don't understand why it's so difficult to piss in a bottle from your stand. It makes far less noise than you pee stream hitting dry leaves on the ground. Why risk it?

robbcayman 09-05-2008 11:01 AM

ORIGINAL: cooter144

Ifa deer is down wind of me I will be in trouble whether I pissed on the ground or not... but due toother odors like sweat...not pee odor.

If you leave it on the ground it will stay for some time. However, if you bottle it the smell may only be in the air for a few seconds.Do what you feel comfortable doing, but I'll keep peeing in my bottle.

I may even pass it off to a buddy as lemonade. ;)

virginiashadow 09-05-2008 11:07 AM

I am paranoid--I piss in bottles on most hunting trips.

Chuck7 09-05-2008 11:09 AM

I'm not taking any chances..I'm peeing in a bottle.

HuntingBry 09-05-2008 11:50 AM

I just don't understand why it's so difficult to piss in a bottle from your stand. It makes far less noise than you pee stream hitting dry leaves on the ground. Why risk it?
Hmmm, let's see. Stand up, open pack, unscrew lid, unzip drawers, unleash Johnny, pee in bottle (which will make noise if you have pee after being on stand for a few hours), shake Johnny,screw lid back on, check for dribbles, put bottle back in pack, put Johnny away, zip back up. Or...

Unzip, unleash Johnny, pee down side of tree, shake Johnny, put Johnny away, zip back up.

Which one is making more noise, movement, and time to do?

Besides, biologists who are way smarter than us have tested human urine and its effects on deer and found them to be completely inconsequential.

If you are more confident peeing in a bottle, do your thing. I'll continue to pee out the tree.

MikeVT 09-05-2008 11:53 AM

The only downside it that from 20 feet up, it makes a lot of racket on dry leaves.

Alpha Capo 09-05-2008 12:23 PM

just make sure you have on your 500 dollars worth of "scentlock" when you do it and dontlet the wind blow any on your boots.[8D]

happyhollowdroptine 09-05-2008 12:26 PM

Funny story, took my grandpa to the woods onemorning3-4 years agoand he went to take a dump and didn't quite get his bibs down far enough and shat in them, didn't spookthe deer but did run me out of the blind.

shrewbeer 09-05-2008 12:37 PM

Nice informative thread. Some people piss in bottles, some people piss on the ground, and some people flat out piss on themselves!
From what I have read on here, I think I am going to piss in the spot that I want to shoot the deer. Seems like the only concensus is that they are curious about it and will take some time to give it a good sniff.

gutshot 09-05-2008 01:03 PM

I carry enough crap with me into the woods I ain't carrying a bottle just to pee in. Besides that one of the fun things about hunting is getting in the woods and letting it fly, gives me a sense of freedom. I always tell my wife that if it weren't for pooping in the woods I wouldn't hunt at all.:D

turtleshell 09-05-2008 01:25 PM

Just admit it. Some of you guys simply enjoy pissin in a bottle and probably do it at home.:)

whitetailbowhunter 09-05-2008 03:54 PM

I have an even better question. If you pee through Scent Lok does it remove the smell?:D