Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long???

Old 09-04-2008, 05:29 PM
byg
Spike

Default How long???

If an individual is a quick study and practices often and is serious about hunting, how long would you say it would take tobe ready to hunt with a bow? Now I knowthe answer isnt written in stone. Just wondering how long most practice before they areconfident.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:31 PM

Default RE: How long???

I'd say 2.5-3 months with a disciplined person and good mentor/teacher.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:37 PM

s long as your on target with your bow....go buy some hunting clothes and go for it.

o yeah be VERY safe tho!
Old 09-04-2008, 05:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Shawn Perkins

s long as your on target with your bow
There's a little more to it than that. We owe it to ourselves and the deer to be better than merely "on target"

Old 09-04-2008, 05:43 PM

If you can hit consistantly go for it, if you can't keep workin. No time limit on that. Remember on your first time out, it is a live animal you are sticking so shoot til you can be merciful!
Old 09-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too would say 2-3 months if everything was done correctly but again everyone is different, I have a buddy that I got into archery and within 6 weeks he was shooting great but when we put the stalk on hogs he kept missing and I don't mean a little either.. The second day of chasing them hogshe finally stuck one and made a killer shot, the rest of that week he put 4 more hogs down and made awesome shots on all of them. Then we have my father in law that got me started back in the 90's, to this day he still has trouble sometimes....Each individual is going to be a little different!!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

I got my first bow in August and hunted on October. I practiced everyday and was very confident I could hit my target. My first chance came on Halloween morning. I had 2 seven points buck fighting over a doe rightin front fo me. I aimed for the larger7 point buck. Shaking from head to toe,buck fever took over and I missed! All three deer ran away...I'll never forget it.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

depends on the person and how truly dedicated they can be....learning good form and shooting consistantly takes time....

best way to speed things up is get lessons or a coach...but even then its gunna take time...

its not like shooting a gun..

id say atleast a couple months of practice is needed even for a "quick" learner...practicing from stands, learning to broadhead tune, etc etc....definently not something that should be jumped into, though 1000s of guys JUMP into it yearly....and some guys call themselve bowhunters but still arent proficient enough IMO to be in the woods with a bow....
Old 09-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Dominant Buck

I began with a barebow recurve, shoot instinctively, and am largely self taught. It took me about a year to become confident enough to try bow hunting, butif I had begun with a well equipped compound I believe that I could probably have cut that down to 2 months or less. I've known guys that have gone out in as little as a week after beginning and taken deer.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

depends on the person and how truly dedicated they can be....learning good form and shooting consistantly takes time....

best way to speed things up is get lessons or a coach...but even then its gunna take time...

its not like shooting a gun..

id say atleast a couple months of practice is needed even for a "quick" learner...practicing from stands, learning to broadhead tune, etc etc....definently not something that should be jumped into, though 1000s of guys JUMP into it yearly....and some guys call themselve bowhunters but still arent proficient enough IMO to be in the woods with a bow....
Exactly my point. There is much more to hunting than being able to hit a target.

Quick Reply: How long???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.