Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I need a GOAL!

Old 09-01-2008, 04:23 PM

Default I need a GOAL!

I bought a target and went to a buddies today and shot 20, 35, and 50 yards. Once I dialed in my sights, my 2 shot groups were consistant 3" at 20, 4" at 35, and 5" at 50. Now, I know thats good enough for a deer, but "good enough" is not good enough for me. I have more respect for the animal just to be happy at "good enough".
Now, I'm never gonna shoot a deer further than 50 (and only at 50 if the thing is COMPLETELY relaxed), but what would be considered "excellent" groups say up to 70 yards? What is a reasonable goal to achieve? I could go out and have the goal to robin hood every arrow, but thats not reasonable, and I would never achieve it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BTW, I dont have any friends into archery, and nowhere to go to see really good archers in action.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:08 AM

Default RE: I need a GOAL!

I would start by trying to tighten up your 20 and 35 yard groups. Your stated 50 yard group is much better than the others, relatively speaking. If you can hold 5" at 50, I think you should set your goal to improve your concentration more at the closer ranges (because, IMO, that has to be what is limiting you at those ranges, based on your 50 yard groups). Loss of concentration and focus is probably the #1 cause of missed and wounded deer shot at ranges from 25 and in.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

The standard I've heard is 1" for every 10 yard, i.e., 20 yd groups should be 2", 30 yd groups should be 3" and so on.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I woudlnt recomend shooting a deer @50 yards with a bow. Too much can go wrong. Keep your shots under 40 yards and practice at thoes ranges, dont over do yourself and become over confident. Ive seen it way too many times where friends have proacticed at longer ranges and when the moment of turth comes to rise at 15-20 yards they wind up hitting too high or missing completely.