Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 UPDATE with pics.  Take a load of this! >

UPDATE with pics. Take a load of this!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

UPDATE with pics. Take a load of this!

Old 08-31-2008, 10:09 PM

Default RE: take a load of this!

I think you might want to sit near those rubs early & catch him coming out of his bedding area. I've read that usually they mark them in a row on the same side of the tree, which indicates what direction he's heading to. Supposedly, they mark of the trees as theyr'e heading to bed down. A few yrs ago, I had one that marked 9 trees in a straight row of pines, right into a non-hunting zone. He'd been spotted several times, but as far as I know, no one got him. Can you put out a trail camera near there? I've hunted rubs before w/success. But it has to be early. I think you have a good shot, w/as many hoof marks as you say. Especially, if they're fresh. Keep us posted as to who is doing that.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Doesn't look like a rub to me either. I've never seen one rubbed ALL the way to the ground.
I thought the exact same thing, they just don't rub all the way to the ground like that......and that dead branch in the middle ofthe "rub"would have been toast with bark missing completely on either side of it.

It doesn't look like any rub I've ever seen, honestly. There might be a buck rubbing some part of that tree but I don't think a deer is responsible for the entire thing.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:14 PM

I beg to differ. Last yr I had a buck not only strip it down, but trashed every little sapling near the big ones by it. He must have had 6-9 rubs concentrated in a 8' area. I guess he should be able to zoom in w/his camera & then post it. That would give more details on the tree. It appears to have shredding on the R side if you look closely.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Porcupines love bark? They have killed more than a couple of trees by eating bark and that's why I shoot them!
I've gotten a few P&Y porcupines also B&C while hunting over "rubs" or I like to call them "chew marks" like these.

No one's doubting your scouting skills, but the picture shows a few bizarre sightings, like the branches on the tree still attached (I count 9 nubbies).
Also rubs that appear to go into the ground, my experience has been around 1-4 feet is the normal, the height may be closer to 5 or 6 feet?
Old 09-01-2008, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

nk if it was a rub that the twigs would be brooke off
Old 09-01-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rub no rub, go get those bucks you have worked so hard for this off-season Jeff! Best of luck.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks Brett,

Ive been hunting for over 25 years, and this is not the first rub I have encountered. The droppings, tracks, and other rubs surrounding this one does not discourage me in any way. If GMMAT wants to walk by it and blame it on the squirrels, Im doubting his scouting skills. I know the picture doesnt do it any good, but there is no way of getting around that it is a very vicious thrashing on the tree. Just check out the other identical tree beside it. The squirrels must not have seen that one, or the porcupines were full. The picture does not do it justice, but when I get the other sides of the tree to show, it will be no doubt a huge rub, by a good size deer.

Especilly when I put him down with my picture and bow showing his VERY large rack.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Dude:

I'm not the only one doubting it's a rub.....just the one you wanna focus on. My scouting skills tell me that some cedars look like old rubs....when the skin peels off the tree from non-whitetail critters and just "nature". My scouting skills have paid off pretty handsomely, also. See.....sometimes NOT scouting is the right call.

A rub tells you there was "a" buck in your woods one time. Nothing more. He could come back. He could have been passing through. He could have thrashed that cedar from top to bottom, bypassing the twigs there with surgical precision. "He" also could have been a squirrel, abear scratching his back or side,an opossum or a raccoon. Hell I'll give you the benefit of the doubt....(since I don't really care). It was definitely the 10 pointer. If you don't spook him into the next county by going in there every day.....smoking and leaving scent, everywhere.....maybe you'll also get a crack at him. Good luck!
Old 09-01-2008, 03:35 PM

doesnt look like a rub to me either, but im not gonna say its not a rub until the season is over. I hope you get the big bastid, and post pic right in this thread.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice rub! good luck

Quick Reply: UPDATE with pics. Take a load of this!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.