Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Binocular questions >

Binocular questions

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Binocular questions

Old 08-31-2008, 11:46 AM

Default Binocular questions

It is time for me to get some new binoculars, but since I am an optic illiterate, I'll let you guys help me

I basically have 2 guidlines:
They need to be $150 or less. I realize that is not a ton of money to be spending on optics, but I honestly don't place a ton of emphasis on something I don't even use that much. I want to be able to what is out there at about 2 or 3 hundred yards.

And they need to be pretty compact in size. I travel light when I hunt, and I can't have some bulky binocs weighing down my pack.

Also, is there a big difference between 8X42 and 10X42? If so, which do you prefer?

I have found a couple that I am interested in. Tell me what you think. If you have some that qualify, fell free to tell me what your using

This combo pack is nice and affordable, plus I've always wanted a spotting scope.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&a mp;langId=-1&partNumber=94370&hvarTarget=search&h varAID=&cmCat=10004724

These Bushnells look alright, too. And they havegood price as well.
http://www.bushnell.com/general/binoculars_h2o_13-2408.cfm?#CGI.QUERY_STRING#

And possibly these in the 10-22X50. I know that isn't compact, but I'm liking the looks of them.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_52182?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT&cmid=PP_ P1_1

But i think these are winning so far. In a 8X32
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_64982?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT&cmid=PP_ P2_1

What do you guys think?
Old 08-31-2008, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Binocular questions

First of all if you want to save space and weight in a pack you do not want porro prism binos.........they are much wider and bulkier.

(I wouldn't put em a pack either, you won't use em.........get em on a Bino buddy harness system where they sit tight against your chest and out of the way and within reach. If they are in front of you, you will use them alot, like they are meant to be used!)

$150 IS honestly a pretty low amount to expect any real quality in optics. almost to the level where you could make a case to just save your money, but your budget is your budget so we'll see what we can find.

For whitetails you want 8X42, roof prism, preferably nitrogen purged ,waterproof with phase corrected prisms.........gonna be a tough find for $150.
The 8X42 will gather more light for a larger field of view and brighter vision in low light viewing (where you will use them the most)
8X32's in all but the high end optics are a waste of money........they don't gather enough light. (The bigger the objective the more light transmission)

Variable power binos generally always SUCK, especially when you dial up the power they get very dark and tight field of view.

If you can stretch the budget a little bit check out the Nikon Monarchs, or the Vortex line of binos.

I could go into a big spiel about quality optics and you get what you pay for but I'll simply say that a good pair of binos was the BEST money I have ever spent in outdoor equipment after many years of fighting the urge to spend the money.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I was absolutely limited to $150 or less I would buy these in a 8X42 and put them on a harness system.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_103159_400001004_400000000_400001000_400-1-4
Old 08-31-2008, 12:03 PM

Matt, you obviously know more than me about this stuff. Tell me what you think about these.

They're 8X42 and roof prism.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/binoculars/view/vortex_crossfire_8x42
Old 08-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: OKbowhunter20

Matt, you obviously know more than me about this stuff. Tell me what you think about these.

They're 8X42 and roof prism.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/binoculars/view/vortex_crossfire_8x42
See the post above yours. They are IMO the best of that $$ class.
Vortex makes good stuff and they have a great warranty.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:06 PM

HAHA wow. We're on the same page

I already have bino harness system I used on my last pair, and I do like having them right there in front of you all the time.

I just meant the overall weight of everything I have to carry into the field. I wasn't specifically meaning my pack, even though I did make it sound that way.

Thanks for the help
Old 08-31-2008, 01:41 PM
Typical Buck

Will, I've been thinking the same thing about binos. My local gander mountain has them out so that you can compare them all side by side. After viewing the Bushnells next to the Nikons there is no competition, the Nikons are better. I seriously am looking at the Nikon Action 8x40's in Realtree. They are around $100. Here is the link.
Nikon Action 8x40 in Realtree

Their is also a set of Leupold's that I like. Smaller lense but still quite bright in my opinion. More compact as well. They also are $100. Here is that link.
Leupold Wind River Yosemite 8x30

Both of these binos are in the bottom end of each of these brands inventory, but I think they are still great optics. Both of these blow Bushnell out of the water.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:10 PM
Dominant Buck

The pair of binoculars you want doesn't exist.... at least not at your price. When you go to waterproof(not water resistant) you probably just broke the $500 range. As far as which you should buy???? 8x30, 8x40, 8x42 etc... well you have to decide what you want to give up. With every pair theres give and take. 8 x30s are compact for sure and light, but they're the worst of all you've mentioned in low light(probably the time you need them most) Compacts are not meant for long term viewing. They'll give you eye strain in a very short time.

Here's how it breaks down. You have a pair of binos that they tell you are 8 x 42. That means 8 power and the objective lens is 42mm. If you divide the 8 into the 42 you get a factor of 5. something. 10 x 42s you divide 10 into 42 and get 4 something. The best factor for low light viewing and ease on the eyes from eye strain is 7. ergo a pair of military binos are 7 x 50. A factor of 7. Beyond 7 the human eye can't take advantage of additional light gathering capabilities of a pair of binos, so a 7 x 82 would be no more useful to you than 7 x 50s. Everything is a compromise. If you're doing close in viewing a lower power will give you a higher factor and better low light viewing but you still have to decide on the power.

I bought a pair of top of the line 7 x 42s. It was a compromise. I bought the 7 power because they're for bow hunting. They are fantastic for whatI use them for. I gave up some low light viewing, although not that much and gained lighter, more compact binos. The different prices from $100 to $1500 for a pair of binos are a direct result of the GLASS used. Multi coating cost more, water proofing cost more etc. I had been through a lot of pairs of cheap, compact, non waterproof etc etc. One year, well really it took me 2 years of visiting stores at last light and walkiing outside with their expensive binos at last light to peer into brush and dark spots checking out the binos. I narrowed my search to two of the top dogs and went with the one that was $150 less. It's the last binos I'll ever buy. I sent them back to the factory after 4 years because a piece of the armorizing was splitting. They changed my eye pieces to the new twist out kind, changed the focus mechanizim as they said it wasn't exactly right and re-armored them.(NO CHARGE) Lifetime warranty and great service.

So, keep in mind the power/objective lens factor. Water resistant isn't water proof. I'd really suggest you save some money, save Christmas presents... whatever you have to do to upgrade your criteria Figure out what you can spend and then spend more. If you get a cheap pair..... you're right, you won't use them that much. If you buy a great pair, you won't leave home without them. Mine are always strapped on my chest with my bino buddies. With a good pair you can bore right through the thickest thicket and pick out and eye, a horn a back line. With cheap binos, you can't see past the face of the thicket... guaranteed.

Picking up a cheap pair and an expensive pair in a store and looking at the signs near check out is not a test of the difference. First light, last light, and yes even in the dark under moon light are where the great binos really show their stuff. Artificial lights in a store tell you nothing.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:46 PM

I just saw Cabela's has a sale on these binos and they are in your price range. They were $210 and now are $110. They also have pretty good reviews on the website.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602006-cat20752&id=0060731712869a&navCount=5& podId=0060731&parentId=cat20752&masterpath id=&navAction=push&catalogCode=8IS&rid =&parentType=index&indexId=cat20752&ha sJS=true

I just purchased the Nikon Monarks and they are hard to beat for the price.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:06 PM

I was in the same boat. Go to cameraland and look at the Vortex Diamondbacks. They are on sale right now for 129.99 and can get a harness thrown in for 10 exta bucks, total of 139.99 plus a couple $ shipping and handling. I liked mine so much I bought my dad a pair as well. Plus they have a lifetime guarentee. hard to beat.

Quick Reply: Binocular questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.