Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 comfortable shooting distance >

comfortable shooting distance

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

comfortable shooting distance

Old 08-29-2008, 08:18 PM

Default comfortable shooting distance

what distance should i be comfortable shooting at for my first year bowhunting? im shooting 20 yards now
Old 08-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: comfortable shooting distance

this is my first year and my farthest pin is at 30 only you can decide whats comfortable for you after all your the one shooting. just practice with your pins and decide which one you are most comfortable with shooting farther.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

For starters, I wouldn't shoot past 25 yards. Preferably 20 and in. There is a pretty big difference between 20 and 30, especially for a first timer, so it would be a real good decision not to go past 25 yards. There are hunters who have been hunting 20 plus years that won't take shots beyond 25. I don't like to take shots beyond 30. I have killed a few past 30, but most of my shots are 25 and in.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

best of luck to you deerhunter 515---The distance that is most comfortable to YOU, IS the distance you should be shooting. If it is 20, so be it. That is a great start. I personally do not feel real comfortable shooting out past 30 yards. Things just seem to far at that point. I try to keep all my shots 25 yards and under.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:01 PM

This is my first yearbowhunting also. As pathetic as it may sound, I would pass on a 25 yard shot.Just because I know im gonna get the shakes and Idont want to risk a bad shot.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

what ever the distance that you are comfortable and that distance that you can hit consistantly
Old 08-30-2008, 12:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: reckling42

This is my first yearbowhunting also. As pathetic as it may sound, I would pass on a 25 yard shot.Just because I know im gonna get the shakes and Idont want to risk a bad shot.
Doesn't sound pathetic! Sounds like you have ethics,I shoot good groups out to 35 but a bag target is nothing like the moment of truth when your drawing down on game...think I'll follow your example...my first year also! Hope you have a successful first year,wish me luck.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Typical Buck

this is only my second year and the farthest i will shoot is thirty yards. the only time i will say i can definitely kill a deer at a certain range is if i can shoot at a minimum 4" groups at that range. i'm working on forty, but so far my groups have been around 7" at that range, so i won't risk it. i have more respect for the whitetail deer than that.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not only do you have to decide your shooting ability but you need to consider that not every shot will be the same. You will need to also take into consideration about the deer and their demeanor, I won't shoot at a fully alert deer at 15yds much less an alert deer at 25yds. Thats all I wanted to add to the subject, good luck this year and be safe in the field!!!
Old 08-30-2008, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buckmaster519

this is my first year and my farthest pin is at 30 only you can decide whats comfortable for you after all your the one shooting. just practice with your pins and decide which one you are most comfortable with shooting farther.
+1

Quick Reply: comfortable shooting distance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.