Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 For those, that pass on bucks to let them grow... >

For those, that pass on bucks to let them grow...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

For those, that pass on bucks to let them grow...

Old 08-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default For those, that pass on bucks to let them grow...

I've got some questions. I have several that I've thought about doing that with but am unsure. They are all good bucks, but I know there are bigger. One is a 2 1/2 year old 10 point that is a main frame 8 with split G2's. One side also has the start of 3 brows so he is a good buck but could grow into a dream buck in a year or two.

So I'm just curious...

1. How often do you actually see that deer again the following year(s)?
2. Are you on public or highly managed private land?

Thanks

Old 08-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: For those, that pass on bucks to let them grow...

Yes I do see several of them the next year and I am just hunting small farmland areas
Old 08-29-2008, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I passed on one two years ago, saw him again last year and had a hard time letting him go -this is the year if he walks by again. Hunting about 400 acres that is managed.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think more and more people are finding it very rewarding to pass on marginal bucks. Here in PA with one buck rule ,I'm enjoying more tree time by letting them go. If your neighbor shoots him congratulate him and be glad .
Old 08-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Typical Buck

I am picky on my buck, but the private ground I hunt are non-manage small tracts. Honestly though, I see several of those deer again.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pops423

So I'm just curious...

1. How often do you actually see that deer again the following year(s)?
It all depends. Quite frequently I am a guest at a place, or perhaps have only hunted there for a few years. Its kinda like letting a smaller fish go... sometimes you'll catch it again.... but you probably won't ever know.

2. Are you on public or highly managed private land?

Thanks
Private, but often not "highly managed". Private land in VA is kinda a relative term... with the dog hunters its awfully hard to ensure that a buck will even be in the same zip code again next year, assuming he isn't shot by someone in front of hounds. Its pretty political.

I look at it like this.... if there is any ? in my mind about shooting a buck with regards to size.... I don't do it. He might get shot next week.... I don't know. But I look at it like this too.... if the hunter who shoots him next week wants him THAT BAD, and it will make his season to have that deer.. then good for him... because I'd just assume shoot a doe as a small buck. Hunting is what you make of it after all.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

I think more and more people are finding it very rewarding to pass on marginal bucks. Here in PA with one buck rule ,I'm enjoying more tree time by letting them go. If your neighbor shoots him congratulate him and be glad .
Jim,
I agree, and I believe they are also finding that they are learning more about them as they start watching the animals rather than focusing on trying to kill them!!! I learned a lot more about deer when I stopped trying to bust every one of them that passed by within bow range. Now due to a good scent containment/control program and hunting much smarter, I probably pass on 50-75 shot opportunities every year, some years even more. And it's rewarding to just watch the deer carry on with their lives knowing that I'm one up on them on that day. Unfortunately, I only occasionally see the deer I've passed on, but that's okay, because I know that 3 of them were killed by kids under 10yrs old last year during the youth hunt, and I'd rather have it that way.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

We do see a lot of the bucks that we let walk the year after, we hunt 1200 acres and are on our 3rd year of management (shooting 4 1/2 and older bucks)....
Old 08-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Very well said, I couldn't agree more. I hunt public land that is bowhunting only, so I don't worry too much about them being killed by another hunter.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pops, it's all up to you and what you want. I had a person tell me a long time ago that you shouldn't shoot any buck that you're not willing to have mounted. I normally go that route. Several years ago I did take a shot at a buck that I normally would not have. Late in the day on the last day, hadn't seen any big'uns or slickheads and this guy walked by. But in that situation, I was thinking of nothing more than meat in the freezer. If you hunt public land, I don't know what the chances are you'll see the buck the next year, but if you have private land there's a better chance of seeing again as long as the 'yotes, poachers, or mobow in his truck don't get him.

Quick Reply: For those, that pass on bucks to let them grow...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.