Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Feeder Question

Old 08-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Feeder Question

Getting ready to put my feeder out here in maryland to get ready for the bow opener on the 15th of sept my birthday and had a few questions. I bought the rechargeable 6 volt batterys and was wondering on a full charge how many days will it last until I have to change it out. The feeder I made is a 55 gallon plastic drum If I fill that up how long do you guys think it will last until I need more the feeder is set to go off in the morning and the evening. I am having trouble with squirells eating the plastic drum and lidany tips. I allready had to change the funnel and spinner to metal because they ate it and all the corn came out time to start squireel hunting. Last does anyone mix the corn and soy together were I hunt is surrounded by standing corn so I was trying to mix it up some just wanted to make shure it would work before I buy it. Thanks
Old 08-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Feeder Question

How long does the feeder through for in the morning and evening?

What kind of timer is it? (who makes it, ect)

Old 08-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

It is a moultrie unit and it says you can set it for 4 to 18 seconds and can be set to dispence 1 to 4lbs of feed.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Anybody?
Old 08-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

I have a moultrie spinner and timer on my tripod feeder, it is also set to spin in the morning and evening and spins for about 15 seconds. I also have a $25 solar panel reharger on it and i get about 2 months from a fully charged battery. I really don't think that the solar panel is helping because it sits underneath the spinner plate and after just one spin cycle it is fully covered in corn dust. So i think that you may be able to get a couple of month from your battery.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:54 PM

All of my feeders are set to run about 10 seconds morning and evening. That will last about 5 weeks at that rate. There is a varmit cage that can be installed around the mechanism and spinner plate to keep them from getting chewed on. Also there is a metal lid you can put on top, just put a rock on top to keep from blowing off.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks
Old 08-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

you should be able to squeeze a month easy out of it. they only spin for about 30 seconds max in one day. 15 in the morn and 15 in the eve. Get some cage wire like chicken wire or the kind with rectangle slots and form a cage around the bottom of the feeder to protect it from the vermon
Old 08-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks does anyone use a soy/corn mix in there feeders it's hard to find soy how often do you guys have to add corn.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:48 PM

I use sweet feed/ corn mix.. 1 bag sf and 3 of corn..good ratio to keep if from getting clogged up. I used a 60 gal drum for a while....the devilish brown fuzzy rats ate a hole the side of a basketball in it..I now use 30 gal moultrie barrels...55 gal drum will last over a month easy..the problem you will run into is, the weight of the feed+the stress on the sides of the barrel will run feeder batterys out quick. metal barrels don't pinch in like pastic ones do..I use the moultire magnum feeders so I can hook up two batteries

Quick Reply: Feeder Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.