Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 If you could give one piece of advice? >

If you could give one piece of advice?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you could give one piece of advice?

Old 08-27-2008, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default If you could give one piece of advice?

I think there was a similar postlast year and thought it was very helpful.

If you could give one piece of advice to a any bowhunter young or old, new or veteran what would it be?

Mine would be:
Be patient.. Last year Ikinda found myself movingaround to other properties too much and not giving some hunting spots a chance. No patience=no buck. Tag soup doesn't taste too good[:'(]. This year I'm going back to my old ways of being more patient, whichusually turned out pretty good.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: If you could give one piece of advice?

To new guys: Don’t force the shot. If it’s not there, it’s not there.

Conversely to your advice though is what burned me last year. Don’t be afraid to move and change things up. Sticking it out and giving a property TOO much chance killed me.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

My piece of advice is that your can't kill deer if your not in the woods. Even if the weathers bad...the animals are still out.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Play the wind at all times.

Scent elimination products DO NOT allow you to "forget the wind and just hunt"
Old 08-27-2008, 09:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

My piece of advice is that your can't kill deer if your not in the woods. Even if the weathers bad...the animals are still out.

X2 ... i found myself getting a little lazy last year during bad weather...Not this year though...I will put in my time
Old 08-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckeyehntr5

I think there was a similar postlast year and thought it was very helpful.

If you could give one piece of advice to a any bowhunter young or old, new or veteran what would it be?

Mine would be:
Be patient.. Last year Ikinda found myself movingaround to other properties too much and not giving some hunting spots a chance. No patience=no buck. Tag soup doesn't taste too good[:'(]. This year I'm going back to my old ways of being more patient, whichusually turned out pretty good.
Chris,
The good news is that there are MORE good bucks in our area this year than last because the weather has been much better for antler growth. I only saw 2 "shooters" all season last year, this year will be better. I've already seen better looking deer this year than last, and no reports of EHD is definitely going to be an improvement over last year.

As for advice, I'd say to NEVER look a deer in the eye!!!!
Old 08-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Assuming everything elsehad the attention it shouldhave gotten, "time on stand" is the bottom line. That's gospel!
Old 08-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

First, have fun and be safe. That is why we are out there in the first place.

Second, Put the time in the stand and trust your instincts. Hopefully there is a reason that you picked the tree that your sitting in. Trust those insticts and go with them. My buddy did that last year, found a tree that he thought was perfect, hunted that stand a bunch of times without seeing anything, then eventually shot the biggest buck of his life.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was watching a hunting show the other day and they hada deer biologist on the show. He said that deer must move every 3-4 hours to eat, because of their digestive system.

Hence, if deer are moving every 3-4 hours at a minimum then they must move during the middle of the day too. Too many hunters only hunt morning or evening, but the middle of the day can be more than worth your time.So, be on your stand all day. That's right, you put all this effort into hunting, but if you aren't there you will miss out.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

SIT STILL!The same waythe hunter is always scanning for movement, so are they.

Quick Reply: If you could give one piece of advice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.