Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are there any tips for buying a used bow? >

Are there any tips for buying a used bow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are there any tips for buying a used bow?

Old 08-26-2008, 09:48 PM

Default Are there any tips for buying a used bow?

I've been on craigslist looking for used bows. I thought I found a good deal on a Mathews mq1 at $300 ready to hunt but it had a possible cracked limb, whatever it was it didn't look good. Now I'm looking at a used Hoyt UltraMag listed at $450 with everything except arrows. I know that's way too high because I've seen them sold at $275 but the listing said it was negoitiable. I've only been into archey and bowhunting for just over a year and was wondering is there anything to really look out for when looking at used bows? I know to look at limbs and even ran the mq1 to local bow shop before I returned the bow. Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:57 PM

Default RE: Are there any tips for buying a used bow?

This is where a good,trustworthy pro shop can come into play. I would never purchase a used bow (or new for that matter) without inspecting it and shooting it numerous times first. Give the limbs, cams, and risera very close inspection looking for any cracks, ask your pro shop if they will throw it on a press and ask their opinion, try to buy from a source that you trust as much as possible,find outif there are any know problems with that bow model, and lastly shoot it some more, listen closesly for any cracks, squeaks, etc. Bows are unlike guns and will deteriorate over time even if well cared for.

Oh, and buy a Hoyt cause they are tough
Old 08-26-2008, 10:13 PM

People sell bows on ebay all the time new and used at GREAT prices as long as you know what your looking for. I personally agree with the above post about wanting to shoot it and inspect it personally. However I do understand that budget is an issue for some people me included I have not purchased a bow off the internet but do know there are some really good deals out there compared to an archery shop. good luck looking!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: camoguy89

I've been on craigslist looking for used bows. I thought I found a good deal on a Mathews mq1 at $300 ready to hunt but it had a possible cracked limb, whatever it was it didn't look good. Now I'm looking at a used Hoyt UltraMag listed at $450 with everything except arrows. I know that's way too high because I've seen them sold at $275 but the listing said it was negoitiable. I've only been into archey and bowhunting for just over a year and was wondering is there anything to really look out for when looking at used bows? I know to look at limbs and even ran the mq1 to local bow shop before I returned the bow. Thanks for any help in advance.
Whats your draw length? And # you want? My Step Mom has her Q2 for sale, it's only been shot maybe 200 times.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:27 PM

I haven't been all measured up but my 28" PSE is on the long side. I pulled a 27.5" and that was good but 27" might be better. The bows I shot at Gander Mountain were tough to pull at 60# but the Mathews Q1 was nice at the same weight. I'd lean toward 50#-60#. I don't really know how to go through this site to do sales but craigslist I can go pick it up semi locally.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't been all measured up but my 28" PSE is on the long side. I pulled a 27.5" and that was good but 27" might be better. The bows I shot at Gander Mountain were tough to pull at 60# but the Mathews Q1 was nice at the same weight. I'd lean toward 50#-60#. I don't really know how to go through this site to do sales but craigslist I can go pick it up semi locally.
I believe she's a 26 1/2 (which you could do with a string loop and release) or a 27" and I think hers is a 50-60#If your interseted, let me know I can send you pics and ask my Dad what he wants for it.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

What what its worth...I'd buy one off of Ebay before I would craigslist. At least you'd have some sort of way to track down who sold you a "lemon" on Ebay.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:41 PM

I'm going to look at it and shoot it and get my hands on it. The bow shop is in the town I'm going to check it out at. I can have it checked out by the bow shop before I buy. That's what I did with the Mathews. I'd much rather pick it up in person locally than have to ship it and send money and all that stuff. No offense to you. I'm not saying you're trying to gyp me I'd just rather do it locally.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to look at it and shoot it and get my hands on it. The bow shop is in the town I'm going to check it out at. I can have it checked out by the bow shop before I buy. That's what I did with the Mathews. I'd much rather pick it up in person locally than have to ship it and send money and all that stuff. No offense to you. I'm not saying you're trying to gyp me I'd just rather do it locally.
Your not offending me, I was just trying to take out all the worries you had about buying a used bow....good luck.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been on craigslist looking for used bows. I thought I found a good deal on a Mathews mq1 at $300 ready to hunt but it had a possible cracked limb, whatever it was it didn't look good.(STAY AWAY!!!) Now I'm looking at a used Hoyt UltraMag listed at $450 with everything except arrows. I know that's way too high because I've seen them sold at $275 but the listing said it was negoitiable. (That bow only sold for about $350-399 NEW!!! WAY OVERPRICED!!!) I've only been into archey and bowhunting for just over a year and was wondering is there anything to really look out for when looking at used bows? I know to look at limbs and even ran the mq1 to local bow shop before I returned the bow. Thanks for any help in advance.
Don't be too weary about buying used on a site like this OR Archerytalk, especially if it's a guy that's a longtime member with good status, you can get some VERY good deals on well taken care of equipment most of the time. I've bought 2 off of guys on the AT classifieds and both deals were very good.

Quick Reply: Are there any tips for buying a used bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.