Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

buck rubs...

Old 08-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default buck rubs...

well, i found my first 3 FRESH buck rubs of the season today!!

question...what deer typically rub first? older bucks or younger bucks?? these 3 rubs were in a line and all 3 were hit pretty hard and on decint sized trees and looks like he got a good bit of tines from how gouged up things were....im guessing hes not a spike or Y buck....

just curious if theres a "rule of thumb" about what deer usually rub first...
Old 08-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: buck rubs...

I have read that the older more dominate bucks are typically the first to start making rubs.

And as I am sure you already know...big rubs are made by big deer.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

heres some pics since its somewhat a bit early....it rained Sunday so im willing to be these were made between now and Sunday night! you could still see where he stood by the way the leaves were kicked up...shavings below every tree and still clinging to the trees....

Old 08-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Find any velvet?
Old 08-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

i didnt notice any....but try not to touch anything with my hands while im out there...especially right now....i know i did more than enough damage just being there....but i never like to physically touch rubs or anything....just me.

but i looked for it and didnt spot any...ive never found velvet...i bet you gotta be there QUICK to find that stuff...between critters and bugs and it drying and shriveling up, its probably not EASY to come by...
Old 08-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now's about the time you should start seeing rubs. Last year I had a wide old 6 point (23 1/2 inside spread) out of velvet hanging around the yard. It was the earliest I had ever seen hard bone.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ugh i dont wanna hear about no wide 6pts!!! i already had to pass a 2.5 yo 16-17" wide 6pt...he was NICE...he was killed opening morning of rifle season...got word through the grape vine...by the time i got the story noone knew the killer...swore up and down it had a 1" point making it a 7....i glassed it with 7X binocs at 20yds for a WHILE....it didnt have a bump anywhere or i woulda shot him!!

i guess i did find a rub around the same time last year...i know its "that" time of year....

boy am i pumped right now...for some reason i have a litttttle more confidence in seeing deer on that ridge than ever...might not beable to sleep till oct 4th!! though i wont get to hunt that spot till atleast the first tuesday....

thinking an oak ridge with thickets close by i aughta be good morning and evening and in the rut i can probably just hunt the thicket edge and catch them cruising...i dont know...still learning this whole...DEER hunting thing....i know how to find sign and such...but i have trouble piecing it together...this is the first time i found feeding, bedding and rubs and linked it all together....im pumped
Old 08-26-2008, 11:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

YeahI have noticed a few to... But I think they may have been elk on the ones I found. Cause the velvet was long! But the most of the bucks here already lost there velvet so it could have been a buck.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

nice rubs mauser. Like droptine im still seeing fuzzys around here. and seen no rubs yet. a couple more weeks they should turn up here. looks like you have a polished bone head running around

Quick Reply: buck rubs...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.