Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Help me learn to score bucks at a glance. >

Help me learn to score bucks at a glance.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help me learn to score bucks at a glance.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help me learn to score bucks at a glance.

If there's one thing I really suck at it's guessing a bucks "score". I just don't get alot of practice since most of the bucks I see are under 100".

So, I was thinking that a thread with pictures of deer with KNOWN scores would be helpful.

So post some pics of bucks, along with his actual measured score! (Not what you THINK he'd score). Thanks.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Help me learn to score bucks at a glance.

Head to the Archives and look in the past contests, all scores and pictures are there as well. That might help. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tt.aspx?forumid=84
Old 08-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Dominant Buck

qz...

What did your avatar buck score?

ONLY way I do it is to compare everything I can to mine. On 10 pointers....I just score it as an 8 and add in either the G2's or the G4's (whichever it more resembles my buck as to omit).

I've learned that most MB's are between 17 and 22 inches....can get pretty close on the H's and the spread's a guess that can't be but so far off.

It's fun for me to guess....and most times nobody can prove you wrong, anyways
Old 08-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

qz...

What did your avatar buck score?

ONLY way I do it is to compare everything I can to mine. On 10 pointers....I just score it as an 8 and add in either the G2's or the G4's (whichever it more resembles my buck as to omit).

I've learned that most MB's are between 17 and 22 inches....can get pretty close on the H's and the spread's a guess that can't be but so far off.

It's fun for me to guess....and most times nobody can prove you wrong, anyways
GMMAT

I never had my avatar buck scored, but the taxidermist guessed him at around 115". He had good tine length, but a narrow inside spread. I should score him someday....
Old 08-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Head to the Archives and look in the past contests, all scores and pictures are there as well. That might help. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tt.aspx?forumid=84
This is exactly what I was looking for! I never thought about checking the old contest threads. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

Unless you are a biologist for a ranch you will just not see enough horn to become proficiant in the wild on the fly. Yeah there are alot of guys on here that are very good but I bet they looked at alot of mounts, picutures in magazines etc to get there. As has already been mentioned look at scores of known deer.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

What I do is a quick math estimate on one side and double it then add the spread.

I'll need to get good at this as well. In IL where I'm headed there is a 130" minimum.

I'm hoping it's just a matter of OMG! when one steps out and no estimate needed.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

This is kinda off the subject but my buddy is a wildlife biologist and he was at cabelas and they had a shoulder mount and asked to guess the score for a contest. the score was 173&3/8 and my buddy guessed 173&1/8 haha he is freakin good he won a nice beretta shotgun. And just practice man the more you look at deer thge better you will be able to score them on the hoof
Old 08-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

The first thing I look for is tine length. If it doesn't have any tines at least 8 inches long I don't shoot, I also look at mass, if it spindly I let it walk, in most cases it is a young deer. When in doubt if it is a shooter let it walk. I like to look through mags. and guess the scores in pics and compare. With a little practice you can get pretty good at it. One last point, Never try to score a deer from behind, they always look way bigger.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

I never had my avatar buck scored, but the taxidermist guessed him at around 115". He had good tine length, but a narrow inside spread. I should score him someday....

One thing to remember, just because a buck has a narrow rack, doesn't mean he will score a lot lower. The spread is only one measurement and the difference between a 16" wide rack and a 19" wide rack is only 3 inches. Although the 19" wide rack may look a lot more impressive at first glance than the 16" wide rack, doesn't necessarily mean that it is. My cousin shot a buck 3 years ago with a 15 1/2" inside spread and he scored 184 3/8" Gross NT. That's why I don't understand when clubs put a width restriction on the deer they harvest. Just thought I would throw that out there for you.

Quick Reply: Help me learn to score bucks at a glance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.