Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Recovery, What To Do After the Shot. >

Recovery, What To Do After the Shot.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Recovery, What To Do After the Shot.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Recovery, What To Do After the Shot.

ORIGINAL: MNpurple

One other thing that has helped me out in the past is understanding the importance of staying undetected both before, during and after the shot. Sounds pretty straight foreward but it is so important to remain undetected after that shot. TV shows guys taking a shot, and then talking, fist pumping, whatever. If you have shot an animal and it doesnt know you are there or doesnt know what has just happened, your odds of finding that animal increase dramatically as opposed to that animal knowing a "predator" is on their trail.
Very good point! I always make it a point to stay quiet and as motion free as possible. Not just in the tree but on the ground as well, particularly if I didn't see the animal fall.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:50 AM
Dominant Buck

One other thing that has helped me out in the past is understanding the importance of staying undetected both before, during and after the shot.
Kyle....I'll "3rd" that...along with tx.

In 2006....I shot at a buck (took him in 2007) and clipped him right behind his right front leg. Being a total newbie and having never taken a deer before....I waited about 20 minutes and got down to check my arrow. Like most beginners and a lot of vets.....I would have bet the farm I smoked him. We followed a very sparse bood trail that night (shot him about 7:20 if I remember correctly)until 3:30AM. We grid searched for a lot of that time.....butwhere the blood trail ended was only about 50yds from directly behind my stand. He'd made a wide sweeping circle....and if I were a betting man....I'd bet he saw me get down and check thearrow.

While that story does have ahappy ending (14 mos. later)....it could have just as easily resulted in a non-recovery and a lost animal.

Keep your ass in your seat for a while......and plan your exit strategy.

Again Kyle.....that's solid advice.

EDIT** For the record....I also searched for that deer for two more days (taking a day off work to do so)......employing even my two labs for those two days. The scenario above....deer was clipped on 9/12.....and I saw the buck again the day after Thanksgiving. I killed that buck Nov. 6th, last season.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

The scenario above....deer was clipped on 9/12.....and I saw the buck again the day after Thanksgiving. I killed that buck Nov. 6th, last season.
I think this goes to prove once again how tough these animals really are and why this thread is so important for people to read!
Old 08-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

This place helped me score my first archery deer years ago (2002)...a little 7 point. I came on here all distraught because I made a poor shot based on the angle of the deer, then coupled that with taking up the trail after only 30 minutes. I searched for 2 hours before dark, then came back the next day and searched for almost 6 hours. Finally something in me remembered what some of the guys said on here....I was about ready to give up, exhasuted from walking up and down steep hills the past two days when I heard this....." a gut shot deer sometimes runs downhill and will bed next to water". I turned around back into the woods and walked a good half mile back in on the creek. I spun around and backtracked, finding that buck laid up under a tree that was hanging over in the creek!

This thread is fantastic.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

This place helped me score my first archery deer years ago (2002)...a little 7 point. I came on here all distraught because I made a poor shot based on the angle of the deer, then coupled that with taking up the trail after only 30 minutes. I searched for 2 hours before dark, then came back the next day and searched for almost 6 hours. Finally something in me remembered what some of the guys said on here....I was about ready to give up, exhasuted from walking up and down steep hills the past two days when I heard this....." a gut shot deer sometimes runs downhill and will bed next to water". I turned around back into the woods and walked a good half mile back in on the creek. I spun around and backtracked, finding that buck laid up under a tree that was hanging over in the creek!

This thread is fantastic.
Thanks vs, if this thread finds only one deer a year then it's worth it. I think everyone gives some incredible advice because when it happens, it can be tough and disheartening. I wish I would have had this knowledge and information available to me when I was coming up through the ranks of bowhunting. It may very well have changed the outlook of my walls.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

When the blood trail starts to peter out....break out the hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen Peroxide when sprayed on even old dried blood will cause a chemical reaction and bubble up. It has gotten me back on the trail several times. Its cheap and can be found at any drug store and even some convenience stores carry some. Just buy a cheap spray bottle at the dollar store and your good to go.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

One other thing that has helped me out in the past is understanding the importance of staying undetected both before, during and after the shot.
Kyle....I'll "3rd" that...along with tx.
Well thanks butthe name's not Kyle,either way that and many other points on this thread are excellent. Could be made into a book.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dabowhunter

When the blood trail starts to peter out....break out the hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen Peroxide when sprayed on even old dried blood will cause a chemical reaction and bubble up. It has gotten me back on the trail several times. Its cheap and can be found at any drug store and even some convenience stores carry some. Just buy a cheap spray bottle at the dollar store and your good to go.
thanks for adding that, i never thought of that..that is some good advice right there.

everyones input on recovery is great.....i will add that this information put out is simply based on years of experience, therefore my 2cents of advice is to actually practice tracking. the worst thing you can do, IMO, is to go out hunting after all that practicing with your bow/gun, get the buck fever (like we all get), make a poor shoot, but have NEVER practiced tracking a trail.

i suggest getting with someone, friend, wife etc. make up a batch of water and any type of water thickener (flour is what i have used) and get some pasty gew and some runny stuff prepared. die it red, and get the color close to blood. go out in the woods and have a friend lay out a trailx amount of yards with a white flag, prize, or what ever you feel like at the end of it and practice to see if you can find it. We spend a lot of time "scouting" with our eyes in the woods and with our bino's to help us see those big bucks standing still behind shrubs at 200 yards, well you also need to train your eyes and practice tracking blood as well.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Unless you have resorted to a last ditch effort "Body Search" where you can use all the manpower you can get, resist the urge to bring everyone and their grandmother in with you to track your animal!

Tracking is best done IMO with 2 people who know what the heck they are doing. 3 or more people does nothing on a bloodtrail but get people in a rush, off the trail and sign possibly mixed up, disturbed or lost entirely.

Call that one other guy you can count on to go slow and work with you as a teammate on the trail andTHEN call everyone else after you've either found him, or exhausted every effort to find the animal yourself and you need to grid search.
That's right up there with the best tracking advice there is. I prefer to track my deer by myself or with a VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY etc.... experienced hunter and that's IT!!!!! Nobody else cares as much as you do about recovering your deer. Too many bodies is nothing but trouble. Last ditch grid search is the only time I'm rounding up the troops.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Found a couple more pics that are worth noting.

Quick Reply: Recovery, What To Do After the Shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.