HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Tresspassing to find a mortally wounded animal (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/259607-tresspassing-find-mortally-wounded-animal.html)

bawanajim 08-25-2008 10:09 AM

RE: Tresspassing to find a mortally wounded animal

Or say.............................................. its a dark and starless night. A hound can be heard bawling out a lonesome song.

NO.[:-]

AF Hunter 08-25-2008 10:17 AM

In Iowa, a hunter has the right to track an animal that he/she shot unarmed for the purpose of recovery. I make it my policy that if I have to go onto land that I don't have permission to hunt,I always try to let the landowner know what I am doing. I have in the past had someone tell me that he didn't want me on his property, and I explained the law to him and told him that we could have law enforcement come out and assist in the recovery of the deer, at which point he decided that it was okay for me to go in and get it.

wis_bow_huntr 08-25-2008 10:23 AM

Here is WI Law:
Trespassing:
Landowners suspecting that individuals are trespassing on their
property should
contact their local Sheriff’s Department or other local law
enforcement agency
. Conservation Wardens do not have the authority to investigate
trespassing complaints. Any person convicted of trespassing is subject to a penalty of
up to $1,383. According to s. 943.13, of the Wisconsin Statutes, it is illegal to:
• enter land of another without the express or implied consent of the owner or occupant
of the land, or
• enter or remain on land after having been notifi ed by the owner or occupant not to
enter or remain. A person has received notice from the owner or occupant if he or
she has been notifi ed personally, either orally or in writing, or if the land is posted.
Remember:
Although hunters are required to make a reasonable effort to retrieve
game they have killed or injured, hunters may not trespass to retrieve such game,
even if the game was shot from outside the posted area.
Ask fi rst for permission.

GMMAT 08-25-2008 10:27 AM

The "questionable" or "interpretation of the law"has been taken out of the scenario for you here, guys.

IT IS illegal in the scenario depicted. Now you just have to ask yourselves if a deer is worth you breaking the law for.

wis_bow_huntr 08-25-2008 10:30 AM

Absolutely not

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

The "questionable" or "interpretation of the law"has been taken out of the scenario for you here, guys.

IT IS illegal in the scenario depicted. Now you just have to ask yourselves if a deer is worth you breaking the law for.

buckmaster 08-25-2008 10:32 AM

Is IT Jeff? I mean It's like shooting a deer and not recovering him/her. Knowing they are laying beyond the fence possibly suffering. Or dead and laid to waist. I'm gonna make every effort to get that deer. Even if it means having the game warden come and help me track:D

GMMAT 08-25-2008 10:35 AM

Aaron:

Yes. It IS illegal in some states to retrieve a downed game animal....if the landowner denies you access to his property. That's what happened in the original scenario (opening post on this thread).

So again....ask yourself if a deer is worth you breaking the law for.

cooter144 08-25-2008 10:37 AM

An animal shot through the vitals shouldn't go far. A gut shot animal would be another story.

I would probably just go in there and quickly drag it back to my property.

This is not a problem I have ever had since my neighbors would never tell me I can't retrieve a deer and I in turn would not do that to them.

Luckely in MN it would also be perfectly legal for me to go in and get the animal without even asking unless they came out and told me to leave in which case I would have tp abide by their wishes.

kickin_buck 08-25-2008 10:44 AM

In the past, I have always talked to the land owners near my properties way before the season started to make sure that it is okay to retreive a deer if it crossed over. I have never been told no, in fact, in most cases they end up asking me the same (of course I agreed) and in alot of the cases I had been allowed to hunt over the property lines. Now if I was told no that I could not cross to retrieve a deer, I would not do so, but I would also plan stand locations so that a kill shot would not allow the animal to cross either.

bigcountry 08-25-2008 10:57 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Aaron:

Yes. It IS illegal in some states to retrieve a downed game animal....if the landowner denies you access to his property. That's what happened in the original scenario (opening post on this thread).

So again....ask yourself if a deer is worth you breaking the law for.

We all break the law in some sort of fashion. Its a real shame that common sense is no longer the rule. People have to ask question on a forum to make up thier mind. They can't just use common sense. There is a big difference however to crossing land on a well hit deer to retrieve and crossing land on a gut shot that has traveled .5 mile already.

I have crossed over land to retrieve a deer. And will do it again if I have too. I have been thru security clearance processes to the highest levelsand have told them in the process that I have trespassed to retrieve deer. Even they, who are critical on every little misstep in life, said in the big scheme of things in life, they could care less. It was like speeding going 75 in a 55 to them. They didn't even list it onthe report.