HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Tresspassing to find a mortally wounded animal (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/259607-tresspassing-find-mortally-wounded-animal.html)

mconwa951 08-25-2008 09:37 AM

Tresspassing to find a mortally wounded animal

I was jsut watching Babe Winkleman and he shot a buck in Wisconsin and the buck crossed the property line and they went and asked the neighbor for permission to go get it and the guy said no. Now in MN and WI I know there is a legal right to go onto the property to recover the animal. Babe chose to obey the owners wishes and no follow the animala little while later (week or so)someone found it on this guys land less than 100yd past the fence.

I don't want to discuss the TV show thing we all know how people feel about that. My question is what would you do would you go get the animal or not.

GMMAT 08-25-2008 09:41 AM

RE: Tresspassing to find a mortally wounded animal

This question came up a few months ago.....and I was really a bit surprised to find out that the majority of deer hunters place their "perceived" "rights" to recover a downed DEER over the rights of the landowner to determine who, what, when, and where people can access HIS land.

So you might as well say.....

"Would you knowingly break the law to retrieve a DEER"?

kevin1 08-25-2008 09:43 AM

It's illegal here to cross a property line to retrieve game without the owner's permission, but a call to a Conservation Officer usually persuades the owner that keeping the game without a valid tag or license isn't worth it. ;)

Would I trespass? No.

nchawkeye 08-25-2008 09:43 AM

I saw it as well...He made the right decision...

Rickmur 08-25-2008 09:47 AM

ORIGINAL: kevin1

It's illegal here to cross a property line to retrieve game without the owner's permission, but a call to a Conservation Officer usually persuades the owner that keeping the game without a valid tag or license isn't worth it. ;)

Would I trespass? No.

X2

wis_bow_huntr 08-25-2008 09:54 AM

Sure every hunter has the right to make best possible effort to retrieve a wounded animal but even in WI and MN you have to get the landowners permission. You can not just cross onto the property. You can how ever contact the DNR and they can make sure that you can get in. More times out of none, if you show up with enforcement, the landowner usually doesnt say much.

ORIGINAL: mconwa951

I was jsut watching Babe Winkleman and he shot a buck in Wisconsin and the buck crossed the property line and they went and asked the neighbor for permission to go get it and the guy said no. Now in MN and WI I know there is a legal right to go onto the property to recover the animal. Babe chose to obey the owners wishes and no follow the animala little while later (week or so)someone found it on this guys land less than 100yd past the fence.

I don't want to discuss the TV show thing we all know how people feel about that. My question is what would you do would you go get the animal or not.

Bullet Hole Bailey 08-25-2008 10:01 AM

In Oregon they have to let you get your animal if it runs onto another landowners property...and if they refuse the cops will ****** you onto their land.

GMMAT 08-25-2008 10:03 AM

Having a dead deer on your property is surely not against the law.

buckmaster 08-25-2008 10:03 AM

Im gonna add to this a little...

Say you dont know the landowner... or they live in Florida or something to that nature?

minnesotadeer 08-25-2008 10:08 AM

In Minnesota, if the land is not posted, you may retrieve the deer without permission but must leave if told to do so by the landowner. The regulations state:

"A person on foot may, without permission, enter land that is not
posted to retrieve a wounded animal that was lawfully shot, but may not remain on the land after being told to leave."
That exception makes sense to me. I own my own land and have had people trespass and treat it with disrespect. So I know firsthand how frustrating trespassing can be.
But if someone followed the letter of the law as state above and treated my land with respect, I would have no problem with them retrieving the animal from my land under those circumstances. Of course, I post though, so it wouldn't happen.
Where I hunt, and where my neighbors hunt, we are all very cordial and respectful of one another. None of us, and I know this, would hesitate to let another retrieve a deer ifit crossed onto another's property, so we always ask permission.A quick phone call and I'll be right out to help you is the response you usually get.
Now if I knew the deer had crossed onto someone's property - a gut shot or whatever that let them go a long ways - and there was a good chance they'd deny me the opportunity to recover the deer, I might very well break the law and recover the animal. Though illegal, it would leave me with a sick feeling in my stomach to allow the animal to rot in the woods and know that I had taken its life for virutally no reason. And avoiding that feeling would be well worth the citation and fine.
I see that as a once in a lifetime situation, however, as I have taken every step possible to avoid such a situation in all of my set-ups. Get to know your neighbors landowners neighboring the land you hunt and even those who don't like hunting would likely give you permission to retrieve the deer.