Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The beautiful Feather >

The beautiful Feather

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The beautiful Feather

Old 08-23-2008, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default The beautiful Feather

I was sitting there thinking of fletching up some arrows and trying to hit on the combination that would give me a thrill when suddenly my mind started to wander. I thought of meeting up with my brother and his comments on them. I know he’d like them but is very practical, feathers have problems one of them is getting wet.

I thought of the day I’d be sitting on stand in the rain, "I’d cover the fletchings" I thought, but then saw the one that would be nocked. Try as I might I couldn’t see a solution there except spinning it dry after the rain stopped. I then saw the movement needed to do it and the deer picking it upblowingme a kiss as it waved goodby. "That doesn’t thrill me at all"the guy I saw sitting in the stand think. Some thing needs to be done but what?

My mind raced and hit upon a solution. I saw ducks and geese diving down in the water, coming up dry, "I’d use those". "Now were getting some where!". But then I was confused as my mind went to the past, long ago, to the beginnings of feathers here and wondered,

What idiot saw a bird that doesn’t really fly, more like jumps to high for it’s own good and then crashes thought, the feathers from that bird would be good on an arrow?
Old 08-23-2008, 05:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The beautiful Feather

What idiot saw a bird that doesn’t really fly, more like jumps to high for it’s own good and then crashes thought, the feathers from that bird would be good on an arrow?
LOL, I think it was accessabilitly/availability.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats hilarious!
Old 08-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thats funny!! I have too thought about some right wing goose feathers....
Old 08-23-2008, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

ha that sounds like a dream!
Old 08-23-2008, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly"

Mr Carleson on an episode of "WKRP in Cincinnati" an old tv show where he tried to promote the station by dropping turkeys during Thanksgiving from a helicoptor over a packed parking lot. They crashed to the earth smashing everything in their path, people running and screaming. Dead turkeys everywhere. ROFLOL
Old 08-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don't be fooled, turkeys are incredible flyers, at least they come off the ground really well and then are more of a glider.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Don't be fooled, turkeys are incredible flyers, at least they come off the ground really well and then are more of a glider.
I thinkyou mean fryers!More of a faller I'd say.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Goose wing feathers are a bit flimsy compared to turkey wing feathers. They work but they don't last as long.

Don't worry about the feathers on your nocked arrow getting wet. It will still fly fine and the water will come off the instant you shoot.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

feathers have problems one of them is getting wet.
Exactly, Christine. The above quote is a myth... perpetuated by those who have no real-world experience with feathers.

Feathers being wet is NOT a problem, and we've discussed it many times on this board... even done tests by soaking them in a bucket and shooting them right alongside vanes.

I've got well over a decade's experience with shooting them in every concievable weather condition... and for that entire time, I've always carried a field-point tipped arrow in my quiver to shoot before crawling down from a morning sit. It doesn't matter the weather, I can put that arrow within an inch or two of where I'm aiming out to 30 yards every single time.

Quick Reply: The beautiful Feather

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.