Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First time Bow Hunting >

First time Bow Hunting

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First time Bow Hunting

Old 08-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Spike

Default First time Bow Hunting

I apologize if this is not the right place to post this...

Greetings to all, I came to this site seekinginformation concerningbowhunting and hunting in general.This hunting season will be the first time I will actually go bowhunting. Needless to saywhile I can do well shooting at hay bails and 3d targets I've never shot ata living animal or actually hunted at all. This will be the first time ever goinghunting,sadly and I am 28. I reside in Louisiana and Deer season opens on October 1 for Archery. I'm want to start scoutingsome public land and that's what brought me here. I'm not sure whereor how to start when it comes to scouting. I know I can learn by trial and error but thought someonewould be willing to share someinformation orlinks to reading material so that I can learn for myself. I've already accepted that I may not see the first deer this year or take any game for that matter. I am prepared for this at welcome the opportunited to learn from it.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Stuckey
Old 08-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First time Bow Hunting

Welcome, and for a "newbie" you should learn so good info. here to get you pointed in the right direction. Do you know where your hunting? Is that area visable on Google earth? If so you could copy and put on here and guys will give you there input on possible stand locations and such. Good Luck!
Old 08-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Spike

Yes, it's a Federal Reserve called Cat Island. It's due west of St. Francisville.

General Coordinates are: 30.761604, -91.531048 and a map of the Refuge is here (as there are some areas that you cannot hunt). http://www.fws.gov/Catisland/PDF/CatIslandhunt.pdf

With respect to scouting I do have a GPS with topographic maps I can (eventually) upload to it.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

welcome to bow hunting you will enjoye it. god luck
Old 08-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

The first few years keep it simple...Start by learning about the different type oaks in your area and which the deer prefer...
White oaks are preferred in most areas of the country...Learn what a white oak is and go through the area with your binoculars
and look up into the trees and see if you have a good crop of acorns this year...If you can find a 2-5 year old cutover then the
deer will bed in that area and come to the oaks to feed...If you can find trees within a few hundred yard of these bedding areas
then you are in business...Deer will also bed in swamps, so if you have swampy areas check them out as well...

Hopefully, you enjoy being outdoors and seeing wildlife, to me it's better than TV...I tell folks, if you get into this to kill, you are in it
for the wrong reason...Good Luck...
Old 08-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

He I don't want to hijack your thread but I'm a first time bowhunter. So far I've learned lots but I haven't seen lots on black tail. Where is the best place to look for info on them?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:03 PM

Two years hunting rifle and five deer later it's my first real year of bow hunting. you're in the right place. First take a look for topographical maps. Find where you think the deer will be moving. Then go look for scrapes, rubs, droppings, torn ground, virtually anything you can find. Trail cams tend to get stolen. If you're in the thick, look for trails that are onlythree feet high.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

I'd scout the fields in the evening and find some hot fields, then go in the woodlots next to the fields and search for deer sign (scrapes, rubs, droppings, trails, etc.) good luck this year
Old 08-21-2008, 06:47 PM

Don't worry about never hunting at 28. I didn't start until I was 29. Also, I didn't get my first bow kill until my second season. Don't be too rough on yourself if the first year you don't get a bow kill or see too many deer.
Get out in the woods and start hunting. Also stick around here and buy Bowhunter magazine!!
Old 08-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome and best of luck. It gets deep in the blood.
Chris

Quick Reply: First time Bow Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.