HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How far do you walk to your stand? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/258646-how-far-do-you-walk-your-stand.html)

Hoytail Hunter 08-19-2008 02:49 PM

How far do you walk to your stand?

As I progress as a bowhunter I find myself moving further and further away from the weekend warriors in the woods. I used to hunt 100yds from the truck my 1st yr, 4yrs ago but this year I'm going 1.3 miles to my furthest rut stand.

Not that the further you go the better you are than anyone else but how far do you go and why? I do realize that due to the terrain or varying degrees of pressure that your woods may get you probably don't have to go as far to get to where you need to be.

Just curious how far you walk.

Pope94/IA 08-19-2008 02:53 PM

RE: How far do you walk to your stand?

Its about 1.5 miles from the house to our cabin then its about 4-500 miles from the cabin to the stands.

GMMAT 08-19-2008 03:02 PM

How far do I walk? Or....How far do I CHOOSE to walk?

I could get to my most productive stand by parking and walking in 400yds. I choose to come in sometimes by a route that has me walking .75 mi.

Conversely....I could walk 2mi. to a few stands this year.....but I can get to them BETTER by walking in from maybe .3 -.5mi.

Germ 08-19-2008 03:03 PM

On average 5 steps;)

Hoytail Hunter 08-19-2008 03:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Pope94/IA

Its about 1.5 miles from the house to our cabin then its about 4-500 miles from the cabin to the stands.

WOW, I apologize I didn't have a selection for "beyond superhuman and willing to walk a 496 mile range between stands." ;)

trailinone 08-19-2008 03:07 PM

I want to hunt with Germ. I vary from stand to stand. On government land, probably 1 mile in, on private land, 3-4 hundred yards. I hate getting hot first thing in the morning though, too smelly.
Chris

StruttinGobbler3 08-19-2008 03:58 PM

varies from stand to stand. my shortest walk is about 200 yards, my longest is just under a mile

rybohunter 08-19-2008 04:04 PM

If I walked 1.3 miles to a stand I'd cross about 5 properties. Maybe more. Anywhere from 80-400 yds on my local spots. 200-800 for my public land places.

jag-mag 08-19-2008 04:55 PM

I sit anywhere from 50yrds-.5 miles.Don't like to drag deer out of the .5 mile spot by myself and the dang cell gets no connection either at the .5. I have one spot ( abanded shed) that the distance the deer run after being shot is the distance my drag will be, longest 50yrds, shortest 2 yrds, this stand is in a suburban area. I walk 20 yrds from my vehicle to the shed.

passthru79 08-19-2008 06:08 PM

I have something like 25 stands on the 775 acres I hunt and it can range from a couple hundred yard walk from where I park up to a 3/4 of a mile or better. Ive killed big deer within a couple hundred yards of my truck and Ive also done it a mile from my truck. I think it all depends on your situation. If there deer are traveling a long way and wont be near your stand for a couple of hours you probably can get away with parking a little closer. If your slipping into there bedroom and trying to go undetected you probably should consider walking for at least a few hundered yards, thats just my two cents.