Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Too late for minerals? >

Too late for minerals?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too late for minerals?

Old 08-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Too late for minerals?

A guy I work with makes and sells these little 25lb. bags of deer minerals. I have a spot I need to go into, Thursday, and I was wondering if you thought it was too late to out these out.

I have to go in to find a suitable tree. I thought.....as long as I was going in....I could establish a new mineral lick on the new property pretty easily. Kind of an....as long as I'm going in, anyways.....kind of deal. Maybe even set a camera over it and pick it up when I hutn that stand for the first time.

Woud you even worry about minerals, now? Even if they won't use them that much more, this year......they'll at least know where the site is for future reference.

I wouldn't go in there for this purpose, alone. But ....if I'm going anyways......

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Too late for minerals?

Can't hurt...might give you that 1% edge...at minimal cost I assume.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

It won't hurt anything, but like you said yourself it will allow them to find it and know where it is and if you keep it freshened up it will be a good one for next year I would think!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

It cant hurt, i set one up about this time last year and got a decent pick of an 8 point, but that was it. But like others mentioned, they will know its there and will be on it early next year, its not going to go bad.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think it would hurt your hunt.
Now I'm in the same situation. I have some new private land to hunt and one of my hunting partners wants to put down minerals. I don't think we need to. Its the only bush for miles around and the deer USE it to its full extent. I don't want anything changed.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:58 AM

I would do it, in fact I am putting some out next week.

Do they "need" minerals right now?Not especially, but how many of those things that you "want" do you really "need"? They will be attracted to them even if their bodies aren't especially craving them right now. I see my mineral sites get hit just about as hard in the fall as any other time of year.

When the mineral site gets to be a hole in the ground,and thenit rains and fills with water, it seems the deer really like drinking the mineral water out of the hole. There will be tracks all around it in the mud.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Im sure it wouldnt hurt your chances. Here in Ohio, the bucks are pounding the minerals.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I definately would still put them out. The deer are still hitting out mineral sites here in MO.

Acutally, a few years ago i killed a really nice buck on the first weekend of season that came right into some deer cane i put out a few weeks before...
Old 08-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

mine are just now getting hit real hard. i think the later the better actually. I'm not sure some of these stay in the ground as long as they should. waiting a little later remedies that. and they need minerals year round.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know of a man who digs a hole just bigger in diameter than a post hole about 2 feet deep right before season. He will then cover it with about 2 or 3 inches of dirt and leave it. He does this right in the middle of trails where he expects to see a buck. He tells me it works more times than not at stopping a deer at any point in the season early or late. I know some can not hunt over minerals, but it may not hurt your chances.

LT

Quick Reply: Too late for minerals?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.