Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you know your land TOO well? >

Do you know your land TOO well?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you know your land TOO well?

Old 08-19-2008, 06:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Do you know your land TOO well?

I've hunted my main piece of property for 20 years now. It seems like I don't put the scouting or preparation in on this piece of land as I do with some of the other ("newer") lands that I hunt. In a way it feels like I've become too complacent. I find myself basing a lot of what I do on past history and what I've seen over the years. I really don't have the need to do anything different (or so I think?), but it just feels like I should be doing more or changing something. Or maybe I'm overthinking.

I also gain access to a LOT of other areas to hunt. There's nothing like venturing in a new piece of woods and scouting it out. It seems like your hunting brain is on full alert and you're almost like a little kid at Christmas. I go at it 10 times more intense with new land than I do with my primary land that I've hunted forever. Not that I'm bored with my land or anything like that. I still love every minute of everyday I sit out there. Just seems like I lost a little edge in the scouting area and fell back on the history of the place. I spend 90% of my time scouting other areas and 10% of my time at my primary land. Does that make sense?
Old 08-19-2008, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Do you know your land TOO well?

I 100% agree with you, and it's happen to me also
Old 08-19-2008, 06:56 AM
Site Buck Guru

Knowing your land too well is not a bad thing. To see if anything has changed I usually wait until shed hunting to do my scouting. Some of the places that I hunt are very small and have 2-3 good stand locations that are good every year because of the terrain features. Every year after I go in there and hang my stands, my buddy asks, " did you see any rubs or sign?" I always tell him that I didn't look for any sign because I didn't want to disturb the area. I have found that in certain situations, less is more. It is kind of hard because I like to see sign as much as the next guy, but I've found that I see more deer if I let it be until during the rut and start hunting it. No sense messing it up.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:31 AM
Dominant Buck

I think it depends on how big your properties are. Mine (the ones I've had) are really small (less than 100 acres, total.....and typically broken up into 25 acre tracts or less......although they do adjoin in some places). So I see no reason to do anything differently. They aren't going to use portions of it this year if they didn't last year. it just doesn't make sense.

If I had crop rotation to worry about ON THE PREMISES.....then that would throw a wrench into the mix. Until now....I've had NO crops to worry about. It ought to be fun, now, though
Old 08-19-2008, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I think it depends on how big your properties are. Mine (the ones I've had) are really small (less than 100 acres, total.....and typically broken up into 25 acre tracts or less......although they do adjoin in some places). So I see no reason to do anything differently. They aren't going to use portions of it this year if they didn't last year. it just doesn't make sense.

If I had crop rotation to worry about ON THE PREMISES.....then that would throw a wrench into the mix. Until now....I've had NO crops to worry about. It ought to be fun, now, though
keep this one booked mark and let us know what happens in 17 more years
Old 08-19-2008, 08:13 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd be happy to post up the aerials of my old hunting areas, Gary.....and you can tell me the spots that stick out to you as potential hot spots. That would be fun.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jeffthis threadhas nothing to do with picking out "hot spots" today. It has to do with hunting land for 20+ years.

Would you like to pontificate on your 20 years of hunting the same land?

Old 08-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Dominant Buck

It has to do with hunting land for 20+ years.
Well....No it doesn't. He gave HIS expereince on his land. I doubt too many people here have hunted their tracts for 20 yrs. My point was.....there's only so much huntable land on the lands I've been utilizing....and the deer aren't changing from year to year, there.

This will be my 4th season on the lands I hunt....and I answered the man's question. NO. I don't feel I'm being complacent. I think I've got them pretty figured out on the small areas I can access. Like I said.....I'll post up the aerials and you can show me the future potential hot spots if you want. Just le tme know.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Like I said.....I'll post up the aerials and you can show me the future potential hot spots if you want. Just le tme know.
not the point

Old 08-19-2008, 08:53 AM

I know the public land I hunt fairly well, but the last couple years the DNR has gotten more proactive with their selective cutting and crop planting - so there is always something new somewhere to check out. For example, this year I found the ridge that I hunted last year was almost completely clear cut and and there was another field (formerly field grasses) that is now planted with corn. I was a little surprised when I saw it earlier this year but after some quick snooping around it looks very promising. So even though I know the land well, there is always something new for me to investigate.

Quick Reply: Do you know your land TOO well?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.