Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do Trail Cams spook game? >

Do Trail Cams spook game?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do Trail Cams spook game?

Old 08-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do Trail Cams spook game?

Do trail cameras spook game? Here are some of my first pics, and this doe sure seems spooked. It was daylight, so I don't think the flash went off...

Maybe it was my scent.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Do Trail Cams spook game?

For the first time ever, I put out my cameras before season. In order to not spook the deer I turned off the flash and set the cameras to day time only. I have 4 cameras out. They are all on trails or field edges. There are no food or attractants because that is not legal in Ill or Wi where I have the cameras. They have been out for 3 weeks.

The bottom line............ some are spooked, some are not. One thing is for sure..... they are experts at spotting the cameras attached to trees! I went so far as to cut small holes in the brush for the camera to "see" through to the field edges and still be hidden, but some of the deer can still spot them. Being that there is no flash or IR beam, they haven't spooked nearly as bad. But it's still obvious that they don't trust them. The reason that I know this is because I also have the cameras set to take 30 second videos and I can watch their reaction to spotting the cameras. I will be pulling my cameras by Sept. 1st.

However, this one had no clue!!

Old 08-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, they do spook most deer. But some seem to just want to get their pics taken an just stand in front of the camera for minutes at a time. I run all my cameras in day time only mode. Except for the RC-55 Reconyx an it is 24 hr camera. I never leave it in one place longer than3 weeks at a time.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

Definately not

rick

Old 08-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: thehairlessone!

Definately not

rick

That's awesome!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

hey wipe the coke and meth off the camera you do not need to dope the deer up to get one lol nice pic
ORIGINAL: thehairlessone!

Definately not

rick

Old 08-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

Here is a link of a video of a deer "checking out" my Cuddeback

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/rob1dr/th_CDY_0009.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Old 08-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Site Buck Guru

I also have photos and videos of curious young bucks and does "checking out my camera.

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u85/GregBKH/?action=view¤t=23.flv

But here is what a mature buck usually does. You may not be able to see it, but in full screen and viewed from the side, this is a big buck. After this happens, I never get him again.

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u85/GregBKH/?action=view¤t=40.flv
Old 08-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

[quote]ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

hey wipe the cock and meth off the camera you do not need to dope the deer up to get one lol nice pic

I have heard some zingers but this one is way out there!!![]
Old 08-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

I've actually watched deer reacty to the flash on my camera while I was hunting. Everytime the flash went of it would spook them, they would run 10-15 yards then come right back to the feeder until it went off 5min later. Then the process would repeat. I got to watch deer come to that feeder all moring. Even got to see their reaction when the feeder went off. That spooked them more than the camera.

After they ran like their tails were on fire for 50yrs you could see the light bulbs go off....hmmm corn!!!! and they all came back.

So yes it does spook them when it goes off, but from what I saw they came back.

Quick Reply: Do Trail Cams spook game?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.