Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why did you start????? >

Why did you start?????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why did you start?????

Old 08-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Why did you start?????

I started hunting legally at the age of 10 with a gun. My first hunt for deer with my shotgun i got in my seat with my uncle and in 15 minutes bam shot a 4 pointer and he shot a 3 pointer. I was hooked. Then i started shooting a bow and arrow and i liked that more than my gun and it allowed me for more time in the woods so i figured screw it lets give it a try. First time out my cousin took me to my stand climbed up and in a half hour spined a 4 pointer. I was like wow this is easy. that was 4 years ago, havnt gotten a bow kill since =) Im jsut bow hunting this year i think. Im gonna use shotgun week to shoot some ducks
Old 08-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

My dad got me into hunting. When I was a teen, I thought girls and fast cars were what was important. The worst part about that is ,WE LIVED IN KANSAS WHEN I WAS A TEEN!!!!! I wish I could go back and do some hunting,,,,,for deer anyway..Now it completly consumes me from august to febuary............Cant wait to go on the hunting trips with the old man this year..We should have some good times. And besides, I need someone to help drag my buck out of the woods!!
Old 08-17-2008, 08:23 PM

Took up bowhunting at 45. Kind of got bored with gun hunting. This is definetly more challenging. Also in the woods a month earlier.
Hey buckmaster. I hunt outside of Fort McKavett.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was brought up in a bow hunting only family. I was shooting recurves at 3 yers old.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hmm Honestly. As a guy who had gun hunted Deersuccessfully for 20+ years. I was only looking for more time afield to look for quality animals with less pressure (both on the deer and on my time to chase them).
I walked into a bowstore and walked out with an HoytMT Sport. That was the first day I had ever shot a compound. The guy who sold it to me said let's go shoot a couple and see what you like. I was afraid to shoot it. I only knew of the old days of haybales and paper plates. I said I'll probably miss the whole backstop. I shot pretty decent and he liked the cosistancy of my shots. So I bought it, and he set it up for me. Heck by the next day I was pretty consistant at 10-20 yards, hitting bulls and surprising myself.
I anticipated enjoying more time in the woods. What I didn't expect was to fall in love with shooting a bow. The goodies the gadgets the whole ball of wax. There are few things as enjoyable as squeezing that release and watching that arrow fly "bullet like" to the spot you hadchosen milliseconds before.

I still enjoy hunting with a Rifle, and a Muzzle-loader, and chasing after smaller things with Rimfire or Shotgun, but I find myself using the word Bowhunter to describe my hunting passion, most often! When I think of dream hunts or chasing other species it's with a Bow, in my minds eye.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I put the rifle down 26yrs ago because I wanted more of a challange....granted I have used a handgun one yr and tried BP another but nothing beats a Bow in hand and more time in the woods......
Old 08-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is quiet.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

well as a kid my uncle would give us deer meat and rabbit all the time. I got a hunting game called big game hunter from cabelas. the orgianl one in 2d the good one.

Then i would always look at the hunting stuff in the stores. on my 13th birthday i told my parents i wanted a bow
Well we stopped at a yard sale about three days before my birthday. And there sit a fred bear bow with a quiver 24 arrows the old alum. ones. a big gear bag with field points broadhead vanes. even some extra gear.
and a few release one wrist strap kind and one you hold in your hand

i hunted one year then lost my bow.
I got back into it at the age of 18 with a 3030 got my current bow three years ago.
now i love to hunt and will never stop
Old 08-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was the first to bowhunt in my family, at 16.I saved up the money and bought a cheap compound, set it up, practiced forthree daysand killed a 6 point on the first day I ever bowhunted.First day of the season and I was done for the year!!
I taught my dad and brothers over the years and now we are addicts. They owe it all to me...aint it sweet?
Why did I start you ask? Because I loved to hunt and when I saw Bo and Luke shooting compounds on "The Dukes Of Hazzard" I just had to get one. I thought it was sooo cool!
Now it's all about hunting, and family.
I reminisce about this all the time. Daisy was sweet, but the bows were too cool. (I may be wrong but one of them shot a recurveI believe)
Old 08-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

I started because it is more of a challenge than hunting with a gun. I also feel more closer to nature with a bow in hand. The things you see in archery is something that you can only describe to other bowhunters. "Regular" people just dont get to see what we see in the woods. From the two fawns frolicking, to the three squirrels chasing each other. To a turkey coming down and landing in a tree next to you or possibly like what happened to me, a fisher(animal not human....lol) walked about 25 feet from me. Just the incredible sights and sounds you hear..to me thats what its all about.

Quick Reply: Why did you start?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.