Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Broadhead comparison??? >

Broadhead comparison???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead comparison???

Old 08-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default Broadhead comparison???

I want to pick between muzzy mx-3s and g5 montecs.
I want to hurry up and get them so i can tune my bow accordingly.

Please put all of your personal preferences aside and please help me decide what would be the better but for my budget and my skill level( im 17 and not very skilled yet) If yall would do this and help me i would be so grateful

G5 Montecs
Crafted using solid, one-piece MonoFlowâ„¢ technology, the three-blade Montecâ„¢ not only offers incredible bone-splitting strength, but also delivers exceptionally consistent, target-point-like accuracy as well. A cut-on-impact nose ensures deep penetration in even the heaviest game animals. The ultrasharp, multitapered blades leave a devastating wound channel, and they're easily resharpened. They are made of strong stainless steel. Per 3.

Muzzy MX-3s
What sets the MX-3 three-blade apart from the rest of the broadheads in the Muzzy line? For starters, it sports a shorter profile, 1-1/4" cutting diameter and .025"-thick, stainless steel blades, making the cutting diameter 1/16" wider and the blades .005" thicker. This updated design allows the MX-3 to fly truer and faster and deliver more killing power at the point of impact. Like its predecessors, this new take on Muzzy's classic, proven construction includes a bone-splitting Trocar tip, a high-grade aircraft aluminum ferrule and interlocking blades that form a stout column of steel within the the ferrule. Per 3.

P.S. also tell me if you use either of these what experiences you have had and how you like them

Thanks
Colten
Old 08-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadhead comparison???

According to you're signature you are shooting 50lb. Either head should be proficent at that weight. It's more personal preference.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm a muzzy man, still shooting the old standard 3blade 100gr.

If I was to start out new....I'd probably go with the MX-3 100gr.

On cabelas website they have a ton of reviews on the montec g5, i was storngly considering switching, but ready tons of negative reviews, made me think twice.

NAP has a few nice broadheads, the razorbak....., also i believe theyre version of the G5 and mx-3....the hellrazor

other Rage 2 blade.....

Old 08-17-2008, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Normaly I don't get involved in these type disscusions as both heads are very good and it's really a personal choice for the most part. That said the one factor that will make me tell you to go with the montecs is your draw weight/length. Montecs are a bit smaller than the Muzzys and will penetrate a bit better in soft tissue. With your specs penetration potential is more important than cutting diameter.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

In the passed couple years I've been trying different BHs. Started with Muzzy, went to Montecs, back to Muzzy, thought about expandables, then finally settled on Slick Tricks. And by settled, I don't mean settling.

Although it's not part of your comparison, Slick Trick is a quality BH. One look at the machining and you can justtell. Testimonial on this BH is endless. Short of a one piece design such as the Montec, Slick Trick's flight quality is near unmatched by any other fixed BH. Additionally, 4 blades will create a bigger hole thus better blood trail thus faster expiring deer.

One thing I didn't like about Muzzy was that the tip is made of aluminum. Aluminum cans are made of what else but aluminum right? What I didn't like about the Montec was the fact that if you have to resharpen the blades, you not only have to buy a sharpening stone, butI don't think you could ever get the blades as sharp as the factory can get a replaceable razor blade such as the Slick Trick.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

yea i was also looking at slick tricks also. But im not really worried about cutting diameter i mean i am but im not primarily focused on that i just want a broadhead thats an all around good BH for a beginner bowhunter.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

all around BH for beginner...Muzzy. you can easily replace blades, have been around for years, and AFFORDABLE.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I were you, I would go for the "old style" regular Muzzy broadheads. They have performed well for most everyone, and the regular muzzy will have a smaller cutting diameter which will be best for your lighter setup.

They are cheap, replaceable blades, and will shoot just fine!! Good Luck!!
Old 08-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WesternMdHardwoods

If I were you, I would go for the "old style" regular Muzzy broadheads. They have performed well for most everyone, and the regular muzzy will have a smaller cutting diameter which will be best for your lighter setup.

They are cheap, replaceable blades, and will shoot just fine!! Good Luck!!
X2-- i shoot the standard muzzy and the montec g5's both great heads but hey go with what you want. but the standard muzzy 3 blade 100 grain broadhead is a great beginner head good luck