Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climber tip

Old 08-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Climber tip

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Also- carrying a climber TOP into the turkey woods is a great way to hunt them comfortably. Slap the top to the base of a tree and sit you butt down. Pick a tree with a bit of low hanging branch cover and you're golden and easily MOBILE if needed
Good one! Might have to employ this next spring. Thanks for that.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-17-2008, 04:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davidmil

ORIGINAL: ICALL2MUCH

When you go around in the summer (or spring) and test climber trees, take a notepad and write down which "settings" you use for each tree. Most all climbers have settings (ie tree width) and I have found if you write them down, and create a sheet with info for each tree, you make life easier when you get to the tree.

Example info for each tree:

Winds:S,SW,W ( I will be using Greg H's tactic of wind degrees this year)
Settings: Top-4 hole Bottom-2nd hole
Ahhh... bullhockey.[8D] Don't come hunting in my woods. We might start out and end up on state land a mile off the road and decide, "this spot looks good. Lots of sign, some nice trees... let's do it". No way in hell am I hauling around a climber on scouting trips so I can climb a tree and make some note I have to turn on a flashlight to read. If you use a climber exclusively, as I pretty much do, you can pick a tree, put the stand around it at the right hole and go to it. Plus, now that I have the Equalizer I don't care what the numbers are. Nope, not lugging a stand around in the summer stinking and banging through the woods to predetermine which hole to put a pin in. If your stand is that tempermental, you need a different stand. It's suppose to be fun.... not anal.
That right there is funny!Get a LW, and forgetabout it.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:27 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

The Equalizer, do they make that without the rail around the front?
I'm not sure if you are talking about the shooting rail or not. They do make them with and without the shooting rail. A friend of mine has two of them. One with the rail for gun hunting and one without the rail for bow hunting. They are great stands, but I personally don't like the seat. For that kind of money I think the could make it a sling type seat which to me is a lot more comfortable than a straight seat.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:03 AM
Dominant Buck

What state do you live in? Hunting ability is not determined by who gets the bigger. Getting the BIGGESTis a matter of hunting land available and genetics of the area, deer density etc. OH, I just checked your profile... surprise surprise, you live in Illinois. That always makes it easy to challenge someone to "Let's see who gets the biggest". LOL I also notice you're what, 21, come back in 30 years and tell me you're still doing it. LOL
Hehe. Just joking around. I know there are not any big deer in Ohio! [:-]

I'll still be here in 30 years...how about you?![8D]
Well since I've been here for 64 already, the odds of me being around in 30 years aren't too good. On the upside, I've been bowhunting about twice as long as you've lived. You think you'll catch up?[8D][8D] I've shot 4 times as many deer as years you've lived. That should give you a target.[8D][8D]
Old 08-17-2008, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

When you go around in the summer (or spring) and test climber trees, take a notepad and write down which "settings" you use for each tree. Most all climbers have settings (ie tree width) and I have found if you write them down, and create a sheet with info for each tree, you make life easier when you get to the tree.

Example info for each tree:

Winds:S,SW,W ( I will be using Greg H's tactic of wind degrees this year)
Settings: Top-4 hole Bottom-2nd hole

Ahhh... bullhockey.[8D] Don't come hunting in my woods. We might start out and end up on state land a mile off the road and decide, "this spot looks good. Lots of sign, some nice trees... let's do it". No way in hell am I hauling around a climber on scouting trips so I can climb a tree and make some note I have to turn on a flashlight to read. If you use a climber exclusively, as I pretty much do, you can pick a tree, put the stand around it at the right hole and go to it. Plus, now that I have the Equalizer I don't care what the numbers are. Nope, not lugging a stand around in the summer stinking and banging through the woods to predetermine which hole to put a pin in. If your stand is that tempermental, you need a different stand. It's suppose to be fun.... not anal.
That right there is funny! Get a LW, and forget about it.
What is a LW? [:-]

NEVER confuse activity with achievement. # of deer mean nothing to me.

There used to be TONS of them in the 70's...[8D]

Although, I DO have a wheelchair accessible stand, if you would ever care to hunt with me! [:-]
Old 08-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

What state do you live in? Hunting ability is not determined by who gets the bigger. Getting the BIGGESTis a matter of hunting land available and genetics of the area, deer density etc. OH, I just checked your profile... surprise surprise, you live in Illinois. That always makes it easy to challenge someone to "Let's see who gets the biggest". LOL I also notice you're what, 21, come back in 30 years and tell me you're still doing it. LOL
Hehe. Just joking around. I know there are not any big deer in Ohio! [:-]

I'll still be here in 30 years...how about you?![8D]
Well since I've been here for 64 already, the odds of me being around in 30 years aren't too good. On the upside, I've been bowhunting about twice as long as you've lived. You think you'll catch up?[8D][8D] I've shot 4 times as many deer as years you've lived. That should give you a target.[8D][8D]
David, tell use about thoes bronze broad heads, did you jump on the band wagon? I bet that was really somthing, copper and tin, everyone how was anyone,shot thoes bad boys.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Dominant Buck

There are more now and they cover more territory. Their range has increased. OH, and everyone shot a recurve or long bow... both of us.[&:]
Old 08-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

There are more now and they cover more territory. Their range has increased. OH, and everyone shot a recurve or long bow... both of us.[&:]
I know, it was a joke.