Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anybody got the link to the homemade lighted nock video? >

Anybody got the link to the homemade lighted nock video?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody got the link to the homemade lighted nock video?

Old 08-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anybody got the link to the homemade lighted nock video?

Both of them are 25 grains... The regular nocks weigh 9 grains, so it added 16 grains.

Since I used 50-grain Muzzy brass inserts in all the arrows I built this year, I'm still coming out way ahead on my FOC and just adding a bit more mass to the KE formula.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:50 PM

I made six of these a few months ago. They worked great.......for a while. About 15 shots and they started falling apart. BUT I'll be honest, I didn't spend a ton of time making them "perfectly."
Old 08-18-2008, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

I made a dozen of them last year. I've got one that no longer works because it got robin hooded at a 3d shoot last weekend. I've got a few that don't work every time, but those are the first few that I made, before I got the hang of it.

They work great. I've also found that you don't really need any epoxy. I get the dowel so that it fits real snug in the arrow. That way, if necessary, it can be removed just by taking the insert out and pushing the dowel back out.

I switched to 125 grain points to compensate for the extra weight at the back of my arrow.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I switched to 125 grain points to compensate for the extra weight at the back of my arrow.
Is that really needed?
Old 08-18-2008, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Depends on how much of a stickler you are about FOC... 10% should be a bare miminum, and I'd prefer closer to 15%;a lot of guys are going with 20% these days.

I actually ordered the brass inserts with lighted nocks in mind, thinking I was going to purchase either Easton's Tracers or Dorji's Firenocks. But when this guy at Bass Pro showed me how slick the little battery was (even though I'd seen that video several times before...) and I was able to hold it in my hand, I could just envision how easy it would be to build them.

We'll see... Like I was telling Bob (Gr8) earlier, I may play with these for a while and realize that it's better to buy the factory ones, and then I'll know. But it'll be one more aspect of bowhunting that I'll have first-hand experience in and can talk knowledgeably about.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

Is that really needed?
It probably wasn't necessary, but I toyed with the idea of switching to 125 anyway. My FOC was about 8% w/ 100 grain tips w/ the lighted nocks. That's too low for my taste, but itwould haveworked.

It's now about 12% w/ 125 grain tips.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Greg how they workin after a some shots. I hope you had better luck than me. They are fun to make, My biggest problem was the tops (red portion)seemed to loosen or break or whatever.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:38 PM

i use these for hog hunting still using them 2 years later!! just make sure you turn them off I just superglued them inside thenocks and have held up great some don't work but if you check commecially made ones same thing!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bob, I JUST came in from shooting it for the first time... I shot it five times from 40 yards with JUST enough light to see my pins through my peep.

These things ROCK! It was so cool... reminded me of shooting tracers back in night-fire excercises as an MP!

I picked up five more of the little batteries at our local Wally World this afternoon, so I'll have a quiver full this year.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

After thinking about your last post for a sec... I wonder if it was the type of glue you used? I used Elmber's Gel Superglue, and so far, it seems to have really done the trick.

I was talking to a gentleman in our local archery shop this afternoon about them, and he said he used Platinum Fletchtite to make his... I doubt that would work as well.

Quick Reply: Anybody got the link to the homemade lighted nock video?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.