Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Dead (from) Downwind >

Dead (from) Downwind

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dead (from) Downwind

Old 08-15-2008, 06:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Dead (from) Downwind

Just wondered how many of you have killed a deer that came in from a place totally unexpected for that set.

Not downplaying "playing the wind", at all.......just wondering if it's as common as I think it is.

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dead (from) Downwind

I shoot alot of deer Never worrying about the wind! What I do worry about is being anal about being scent free! Seriously can not remember the last time I was winded!
Old 08-15-2008, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shot a big one a few years back, some may remember the story on it, after I shot it, it started pouring and I had a hell of a search party looking for him for 3 days with no sign of him, the wind was blowing right to him and thats the direction he came in from, right out infront of me.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

3 of the last 4 bucks I killed were all dead down wind of me when I killed them. 2 of those three came a significant portion of the way FROM that down wind direction, and the 3rd was just cruising to the downwind side of me.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:23 AM
Dominant Buck

the wind was blowing right to him and thats the direction he came in from, right out infront of me.
SIDEBAR! (time out)

wis...you hunt with your face looking downwind?
Old 08-15-2008, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

No no no, when I started huntign that afternoon there was no wind, then the wind happend to pick up out of the east, at my back and he came in straight from the west, he never knewI was there. Wish I could have found him he was awesome.A once in a lifetime buck and lost him, since that day I have not hunted if they are calling for more than 30% chance of rain.

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

the wind was blowing right to him and thats the direction he came in from, right out infront of me.
SIDEBAR! (time out)

wis...you hunt with your face looking downwind?
Old 08-15-2008, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

you hunt with your face looking downwind?

I do that sometimes. Depends if it’s a situation were I need to use the tree for cover, or if its cold, it helps from getting pounded in the face with the wind. My eyes water up a lot. I hate facing directly into the wind.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've had deer come from the downwind many times. 2 of the last 4 buck I've taken came from behind me. (Downwind).
Old 08-15-2008, 06:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks, wis.....Ryan. Makes sense.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say Im pretty lucky on taking most of my deer from the direction I thought they would come especially in evenings when I do 90% on my hunting after work. I hunt allot of big woods fingers that dump into fields so most evening hunts they can really only come from 1 direction. Of course during the rut bucks can just appear from anywhere.

When I hunting morning near bedding areas is when I have had more deer come from various directions, but hunting mornings usually happens 1 time every 2 weeks.

Quick Reply: Dead (from) Downwind

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.