Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

best 3d target

Old 08-13-2008, 07:20 PM

Default best 3d target

What kind of 3d targets do you like to shoot at. This is sorta of a 2 part question 1st im asking what animal and then second id the brand. Ill use the poll as the brand respond in a post and say what animal.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best 3d target

I chose Rinehart due to their durability and ease of arrow pulling. I shoot a lot of 3D when I'm healthy and get tired of blowing through Delta and yanking my shoulders out of joint trying to pull arrows from McKenzies.

Rineharts cost more, but will outlast any of the others at least twice as long. Besides, you don't need to buy a whole midsection when the core gets shot out. Just a new plug.

Which animal? Large deer of course, but I like them all.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you can find them anymore, the absolute best 3d deer target is Morrell's Bionic Buck; there's simply no comparison.

I've POUNDED mine with thousands of shots, and even had a buddy over last week shooting it at 20 yards from his new Airborne 82nd. Every arrow was stopped cold.

The great thing about it? True ONE-finger arrow removal. I mean, this thing is simply a joy to shoot all day and extract arrows from. Effortless.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

i like the glendale full rut i shot at one the first year i had my bow there great
Old 08-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Foam targets are a little closer now.........the new insert style MCkenzies are a much better choice vs the older full mid section type. The Rhineharts pull nice but so does that new McKenzie foam.
I shoot McKenzies better in competition because I see them more.......Rhineharts mess me up with yardage estimationsometimes because I don't shoot them enough to get familiar with relative target size.

to tell the truth they all pretty much stink for personal use unless they have a replacable vital insert because foam wears like crap under constant pounding in a small area by someone who can shoot.

I like using whatever junkass old midsection I can scrape up for shooting broadheads, and use good Morrell Range bag targets or the Bionic buck for the bulk of my repetitive practice. They wear much better and you won't be worn out from pulling arrows over an extended shooting session.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

If you can find them anymore, the absolute best 3d deer target is Morrell's Bionic Buck; there's simply no comparison.

I've POUNDED mine with thousands of shots, and even had a buddy over last week shooting it at 20 yards from his new Airborne 82nd. Every arrow was stopped cold.

The great thing about it? True ONE-finger arrow removal. I mean, this thing is simply a joy to shoot all day and extract arrows from. Effortless.
I was waiting for your reply.

heres a great review.
Picture this: Two grown men hovering over a 3-D deer target. The one guy has his foot firmly planted on the deer's chest and both hands wrapped around an arrow that is protruding from the target's midsection. The other gentleman (we'll call him that even though there is a string of explicatives flowing from his lips that would make a sailor blush!) has his back to the target and is in the strangest of positions, his hands also wrapped around the arrow. There are veins popping out of foreheads, straining muscles, and red faces. By the time the arrow is actually removed, both guys have lost five pounds and may never look at each other the same way again! The whole scene looks like a game of Twister gone bad, but in reality it's just another day at the 3-D range. That is, unless you are shooting at a range decked out with Morrell Bionic targets. Read on to find out how the folks at Morrell Manufacturing can save you time, trouble, and even dignity!

Basics
The Bionic Buck is specially designed to outlast any other 3-D target on the market by four to five times. This is accomplished through the use of a "bag" midsection with a replaceable burlap covering. Inside the outer burlap covering is a poly netting which holds everything together, inside of the netting is 6-7" of cotton, and the center is filled with a patented floating burlap core. The replacement cover costs only $10.00 and is easily installed by draping it over the existing cover and pinning or stapling it onto the foam frame. The target is also equipped with portholes for re-stuffing the bag once arrows start to pass through. The portholes are located at the back of the midsection and are easily reached by removing the hindquarter of the target. The remainder of the target (head and hindquarter sections) is made of rigid foam. Also included with every 3-D deer target are a set of removable antlers and a pair of set-up stakes.
Testing
As always the testing began with a thorough quality inspection of the entire target. Everything was in great order and cosmetically clean.
Next up on the list was assembly. This is a simple procedure that takes little effort and time. First the midsection and rear pieces were combined by sliding them together. The target was then stood upright and secured into the ground. There are two ways to go about this. The first is to lay the assembled mid and rear sections on their side and pound the metal stakes into the ground directly in front of where the receiving tubes are located. The target is then stood up and mounted on the stakes by sliding the tubes down over the stakes. The second, and my personal preference is to permanently "pinch" the metal stakes that come with the target inside the receiving tubes so that they will not move. This method alleviates the hassles of lost stakes and trying to get the stake spacing and angle correct. The head section, complete with antlers, was then inserted onto the midsection and the target was ready to go.
One of the two major advertised selling points of the Bionic Buck is easy arrow removal. In other words, opposite of the story at the beginning of this review! To ensure this feature is all that it is advertised to be I enlisted the help of a friend with the wingspan of a 747, shooting a very fast Darton Maverick set at 72 lbs. When his finger touched off the release the target rocked from the heavy impact as the arrow drove into the kill zone. Next, we did something previously unheard of; We sent my tiny three year old daughter to pull the arrow from the 3-D target - A task attempted only by grown men in the past. I'm telling you, she spent all of two seconds at the target before turning around and marching straight back to us -arrow in hand! Enough said about that subject!
From that moment on, the Bionic Buck was punished by a host of adults and kids shooting arrow after arrow into the target, almost daily, for three weeks. Morrell suggests re-stuffing the target when arrows start to pass through. Well, we haven't reached that point yet! As you may have guessed, the second big selling point of the Bionic Buck is a long life span. The target I received did indeed live up to this claim with only two notable exceptions. The first being the burlap covering, which was almost immediately disintegrated in the marked off kill zone and the second exception was the durability of the head and rear foam sections. When one of my kids (never me of course -cough, cough) would fling an arrow off the mark and hit one of these foam sections a considerable amount of damage was done.
Conclusion
In my opinion the Bionic Buck greatly improves the overall 3-D experience. They look good, are extremely user friendly, and last a long time. Certainly a winning recipe in my book
Design: 4 of 5
The use of a "bag" midsection is ingenious! No more wrestling with the target to take back what is rightly yours! Suggested improvements: Upgrade the burlap cover to a longer lasting material or send a second covering along with every target as a standard item. Secondly, improve the foam of the front and rear sections. However, at only $10 for a replacement this is really a moot point.
Value: 4.5 of 5
With the ease of arrow removal, long lasting construction of the midsection, and the ability to rebuild/re-stuff the target, it is certainly worth the $130.00 asking price.