Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Looking back...

Old 08-13-2008, 07:24 AM

Default Looking back...

How many missed opprotunities have you had with a bow on a buck that you would mount? A miss, not being ready,wrong tree, orbad shotand couldn't find. I had at least 3. One was a bad shot, one was the wrong tree, the last was shot the wrong deer and then right one came by and saw the dead one and freaked out!!
Old 08-13-2008, 07:28 AM

Default RE: Looking back...

Too many to count......I had a tremendous run of badluck up until about 5 years ago..... I've had atleast 6 or 7 boderline pope's within 20yds that never came home with me!
Old 08-13-2008, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

3-4 at least. Why did you have to bring up those bad memories now I have to go back to therapy.[:@]
Old 08-13-2008, 07:35 AM
Dominant Buck

A miss, not being ready,wrong tree, orbad shotand couldn't find.
Luckily for me......I had 2nd chances at both bucks on my wall. I clipped the one I shot last year in the leg in 2006. I had a couple later encounters (and one previous)with him that resulted in no shot opportunity.

I took a shot at my '06 8-pointer (day after Thanksgiving)that hit a vine and deflected. I found that arrow, lodged in a tree, last year. I ended up killing him on 12/12 of the same year (2 weeks later).

I needed a possible P&Y caliber 8-pointer to take 2-3 more steps last year.....hunting PA. He got as close as 22yds....but offered no ethical shot.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

In 2005 I had a real bad year. I missed three bucks, all of them would have made P&Y easy. One was a high 150-low 160 deer. I had messed up my shoulder that summer and the doctor wanted to cut me in July, but said that there would be now way I could pull my bow back by the start of season. I decided to wait until December to have it cut. Big mistake on my part, with the pain I was having I should not have even been in a tree. The mistakes we make I guess.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:02 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Missed a 150" 10 pointer about 4 yrs ago, I got buck fever, and as Forrest Gump says "That's all I got to say about that."
Old 08-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

i was torn between hunting an old wooden stand down in a draw, or hunting a satnd on the edge of the field just 250 yards away......my uncle sat in a stand where he could see the old wooden stand at about 100 yards.right around 8:30 the biggest buck my uncle has ever seen(he has harvested a 174" 12 point) ran right by the old wooden stand chasing a doe
Old 08-13-2008, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

Once, My first year archery hunting. I started tracking to soon and found where he laid down twice but I kicked him up. I still kick my self to this day for that. I have since recovered every deer.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where to start on this one![>:]

I know of 3 different 140" range 8 point bucks that got the free pass from me because at the time I didn't think they would make books. All 3 of these bucks on different occasions were at 12 yards with my bow hanging on the bow hanger being I had no intentions on shooting them. This all happened with in the last 4 years. For some stupid reason the last 4 years or so I've had trouble scoring bucks up in a tree, specially 8 pointers. I've been consistently low while scoring them. Normally I'm pretty good at this but as of late these big 8 pointers have been fooling me with there size of rack. Last year when I shot my 140 1/8" 8 point I didn't know if he would make books or not, I knew he was close but I figured he was 5" or so short if not more. I was 20" off on him. The only reason I shot that buck I got last year was because something in my gut said this is your buck, maybe it was because he came in so awesome to my rattling, who knows I guess. I had him at 10 yards for 25 minutes before I decided to shoot him. I had no intentions on shooting him the 1st 25 minutes he was under my stand tree. Boy am I happy I went with my gut feeling or I'd still be letting bucks like this by this upcoming year. It opened my eye's on my scoring no dought! Those other 3 bucks I let go were damn close to him in size and tine length, maybe even a tad bigger! I can't believe I've been that far off the last few years. This year I'll be paying a little more extra attention to this.

About 7 years ago I had what I thought was an 8 point coming down the trail to my stand. I seen him coming and I thought to myself, nope he won't make P&Y, he's about 120" to 125". I always let border line P&Y bucks walk. So I left my bow hanging on the bow hanger and watched him come by at 12 yards broadside. When he was broadside I then noticed I just screwed up and let a P&Y buck go by. He had 4" end forks which I didn't see earlier which made him a 10 point and would of easily put him at 130" to 135". Man I was depressed after that, no ones fault but my own though. Thats just stupid on my part!! From now on my bow always comes down if I see a deer coming whether its a doe, fawn, or a small buck. One just never knows.

I've let allot of nice bucks go by as well that were in that 25 to 30 yard range. A little to far for my recurve.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:13 AM

Really only 2. One slipped in on me and walked through my shooting lanes before I had the opportunity to shoot him. I grunted to him a couple times when got about 70 yards out, but it didn't work. That was a 120 class 8 point.

This one hurts. I hunted the morning, had some errands to run, so got down around 10. At straight up noon I climbed back up my tree. I no sooner got to hunting height when a 140 class 10 point ran a doe directly under my stand.....Yeah, that's right. My bow was still on the ground, I hadn't even been able to pull it up yet. And yeah, he stopped perfectly broadside at 15 yards......Didn't have a clue I was there......Just to rub it in a little, he came back several minutes later and was w/in 20 yards, but never stepped into the clear.....I still have tears over that one.....

Quick Reply: Looking back...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.